Tanker spills

The forum's Skid Road. DO NOT ENTER unless you're ready for a squabble.

Tanker spills

Postby Cactusflower » Feb 21st, 2018, 10:57 am

http://concernedengineers.org/about-nor ... s-a-spill/

Don't even think that this doesn't pertain to the KMX as well. The danger is even more eminent due to the large populated area around Burrard Inlet and the Salish Sea. But of course, as I and others have pointed out numerous times, it's the sea life that will suffer most. The extinction of our Orcas, salmon, and all other wildlife is not something I want to be faced with, and the loss of the livelihoods of our fishers and tourism operators is something I don't wish to contemplate either.
Cactusflower
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 714 posts

Re: Tanker spills

Postby Veovis » Feb 21st, 2018, 11:04 am

What if wild goats attack your family in your home while you sleep on a tuesday......stay tuned to find out.

IFs/ANDs/MAYBEs/ aren't a news or informative thing, just worried about issues that can be imagined.

When was the last tanker spill off the coast of Canada? Why do I think goats actually attacked someone more recently than the last Canadian tanker spill.

Fear is neat and makes lots of people lots of money from lots and lots of people who like jumping at shadows. It's why we have a Shark week but cows kill more people by far.

3 people like this post.
Veovis
Guru

Liked in: 3868 posts

Postby Cactusflower » Feb 21st, 2018, 11:13 am

Veovis wrote:What if wild goats attack your family in your home while you sleep on a tuesday......stay tuned to find out.

IFs/ANDs/MAYBEs/ aren't a news or informative thing, just worried about issues that can be imagined.

When was the last tanker spill off the coast of Canada? Why do I think goats actually attacked someone more recently than the last Canadian tanker spill.

Fear is neat and makes lots of people lots of money from lots and lots of people who like jumping at shadows. It's why we have a Shark week but cows kill more people by far.

What if you were driving along the highway and saw a big boulder rolling down the mountainside right in front of you? Would you slam on your brakes to avoid colliding with it, or would you just keep driving, hoping that it would somehow miraculously miss you?
Cactusflower
Lord of the Board

Postby Veovis » Feb 21st, 2018, 11:17 am

I may even accelerate....so what?

I don't waste endless hours a day trying to convince people about the fears of rolling boulders on that tiny reality it may ever happen.

rustled likes this post.
Veovis
Guru

Liked in: 3868 posts

Postby alanjh595 » Feb 21st, 2018, 11:18 am

Capture.JPG

Published sources generally relates to large spills, often resulting from collisions, groundings, structural damage, fires or explosions.

http://www.itopf.com/knowledge-resource ... tatistics/

While increased tanker movements might imply increased risk, it is encouraging to observe that the downward trend in oil spills continues despite an overall increase in oil trading over the period.

Capture2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

2 people like this post.
alanjh595
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 2420 posts

Postby Cactusflower » Feb 21st, 2018, 11:22 am

Veovis wrote:I may even accelerate....so what?

I don't waste endless hours a day trying to convince people about the fears of rolling boulders on that tiny reality it may ever happen.

That 'rolling boulder' story is actually true. If I'd accelerated, I probably wouldn't be here arguing with you today.
(See? I knew I could make you smile! :biggrin: )
Cactusflower
Lord of the Board

Postby Carrs Landing Viking » Feb 21st, 2018, 11:26 am

What a useless thread. No substance whatsoever, from an already debunked bunch of lunatics.

5 people like this post.
Carrs Landing Viking
Board Meister

Liked in: 821 posts

Postby The Green Barbarian » Feb 21st, 2018, 11:27 am

Cactusflower wrote:
What if you were driving along the highway and saw a big boulder rolling down the mountainside right in front of you? Would you slam on your brakes to avoid colliding with it, or would you just keep driving, hoping that it would somehow miraculously miss you?

More like - what if US economic interests were spending milliions of dollars funding disinformation websites and using a small number of really stupid and gullible people to stop Canadians from traveling on any highway that might be affected by an extremely small chance of boulders rolling onto them? How stupid would that be?
Not all leftists are stupid, but most stupid people are leftists.
- Dr. Don Boys

4 people like this post.
The Green Barbarian
Admiral HMS Castanet

Liked in: 15619 posts

Postby Ka-El » Feb 21st, 2018, 11:42 am

Cactusflower wrote: What if you were driving along the highway and saw a big boulder rolling down the mountainside right in front of you? Would you slam on your brakes to avoid colliding with it, or would you just keep driving, hoping that it would somehow miraculously miss you?

You're right. We should ban all highway travel too. :smt045
While the research shows that people with right-wing views tend to be less intelligent than those with left-wing views,
the continued excuse-making and support for Donald Trump indicates researchers have underestimated by how much.

3 people like this post.
Ka-El
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 4169 posts

Postby Cactusflower » Feb 21st, 2018, 11:52 am

I should have known this thread would bring out the worst in the usual suspects.

No bitumen tankers, no bitumen spills, no problem.
Cactusflower
Lord of the Board

Postby alanjh595 » Feb 21st, 2018, 11:58 am

Ka-El wrote:
Cactusflower wrote: What if you were driving along the highway and saw a big boulder rolling down the mountainside right in front of you? Would you slam on your brakes to avoid colliding with it, or would you just keep driving, hoping that it would somehow miraculously miss you?

You're right. We should ban all highway travel too. :smt045

More like;
Do you know how many salmon are caught, and killed on purpose, by humans, every year? Maybe we should ban all commercial fishing on the BC coast? How about we just shut it down for the next 10 years and allow the fish population rebuild itself and then only allow 1/2 of what is being caught now?
By then there will be lots of fish in the ocean.

Smurf likes this post.
alanjh595
Lord of the Board

Postby The Green Barbarian » Feb 21st, 2018, 11:58 am

Cactusflower wrote:I should have known this thread would bring out the worst in the usual suspects.

No oil sands tankers = no brains.
- Dr. Don Boys
The Green Barbarian
Admiral HMS Castanet

Postby alanjh595 » Feb 21st, 2018, 12:00 pm

Cactusflower wrote:I should have known this thread would bring out the worst in the usual suspects.

Just look at who is leading the pack by starting the tread in the 1st place.........

Carrs Landing Viking likes this post.
alanjh595
Lord of the Board

Postby rustled » Feb 21st, 2018, 12:23 pm

Cactusflower wrote:What if you were driving along the highway and saw a big boulder rolling down the mountainside right in front of you? Would you slam on your brakes to avoid colliding with it, or would you just keep driving, hoping that it would somehow miraculously miss you?

Using your logic, on the basis of this "what-if" scenario alone we should all not only acknowledge the terrible risk of potential motorcar accidents and refuse to every travel by motorcar, we should also convince others to share our dread fear and mount a campaign to ban the use of the motorcar altogether.

2 people like this post.
rustled
Guru

Liked in: 5955 posts

Postby The Green Barbarian » Feb 21st, 2018, 1:57 pm

rustled wrote:Using your logic, on the basis of this "what-if" scenario alone we should all not only acknowledge the terrible risk of potential motorcar accidents and refuse to every travel by motorcar, we should also convince others to share our dread fear and mount a campaign to ban the use of the motorcar altogether.

Especially if the motor car is made in China, as anything Chinese makes CF "nervous". But this somehow isn't racist.
- Dr. Don Boys

rustled likes this post.
The Green Barbarian
Admiral HMS Castanet

Next

Return to Bickering Room