Selling and buying a home

The forum's Skid Road. DO NOT ENTER unless you're ready for a squabble.

Selling and buying a home

Postby gsc » Mar 1st, 2018, 8:13 pm

So I have been in the market for a while on finding a new home. I have found that if I sell my Kelowna home I can move to places much cheaper and not in a big city.

I have been looking all over and have found really nice places all over B.C. Part of the reason for selling is space and yard size. The home we have now is small and no yard and in Kelowna it would look like that is worth about $465,000.

The one place we have found a place just a couple hours from kelowna just out side of Greenwood for $399,999 on 22.7 acres. We will be going out to look at it and see what our thoughts are on it. We already have a couple people in line to buy our current place :) so now its just looking for the right place to call home.

I just can't believe the huge price difference. Also going from absolutely no yard to 22.7 acres I can do what ever I want with is exciting as well. The fact that there is also no nosey or grouchy neighbours nearby is also exciting and a good feeling lol.

That's just one of many in B.C. that we have found. Time to find a place a lot less populated and a lot less expensive. It also helps that we are into the outdoors and love quading and side by siding along with horses.

3 people like this post.
gsc
Board Meister

Liked in: 419 posts

Re: Selling and buying a home

Postby Even Steven » Mar 1st, 2018, 8:48 pm

Well if living in the sticks is your thing then by all means. Personally id shoot myself on the second day.

3 people like this post.
Even Steven
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 2018 posts

Postby gsc » Mar 1st, 2018, 8:58 pm

Even Steven wrote:Well if living in the sticks is your thing then by all means. Personally id shoot myself on the second day.

its not for everyone that's for sure but it is defiantly something we are into. After living where I am now I would love nothing more than to be fare fare away from any neighbours and out of the city. I would love to be able to have a bonfire in my yard and not have the fire department called in 5 min. I would love to have land to do what I want with like have a couple cows or chickens maybe even horses. I can build a huge shop and mill my own wood for all my woodworking. The options are endless :)

kevcol99 likes this post.
gsc
Board Meister

Postby generalposter » Mar 1st, 2018, 9:02 pm

1000 Highway 3?

Regional District Kootenay Boundary, PID 023-480-653
Assessed @ 356,000 in 2017
Regional District and BC Assessment both describe it as 17.05 acres.

This property has extensive frontage on Highway 3 and an industrial road on the backside. Might not provide the peace and quiet you are looking for. Regional District also shows a gargantuan Kootenay Power and Light right of way or easement swathing the whole property.

It's a long drive. Have you pulled the title search to determine other easements, covenants, right of ways? Have you checked zoning for this property and all adjacent properties? Would suck to find out later that a gravel pit was going in beside or near you? These and other items can be researched before you drive out to save you some surprises. Ask the agent to provide all this information and more and it might save you some trouble. Good luck in your search!
Someone has to say it.
generalposter
Board Meister

Liked in: 498 posts

Postby LTD » Mar 1st, 2018, 9:15 pm

baseboard heat to yikes, plan on installing a wood stove

2 people like this post.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 2849 posts

Postby LTD » Mar 1st, 2018, 9:17 pm

Even Steven wrote:Well if living in the sticks is your thing then by all means. Personally id shoot myself on the second day.

I'm in the sticks but closer to town and you couldn't pay me enough to move back into town

gsc likes this post.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Postby gsc » Mar 1st, 2018, 9:22 pm

generalposter wrote:1000 Highway 3?

Regional District Kootenay Boundary, PID 023-480-653
Assessed @ 356,000 in 2017
Regional District and BC Assessment both describe it as 17.05 acres.

This property has extensive frontage on Highway 3 and an industrial road on the backside. Might not provide the peace and quiet you are looking for. Regional District also shows a gargantuan Kootenay Power and Light right of way or easement swathing the whole property.

It's a long drive. Have you pulled the title search to determine other easements, covenants, right of ways? Have you checked zoning for this property and all adjacent properties? Would suck to find out later that a gravel pit was going in beside or near you? These and other items can be researched before you drive out to save you some surprises. Ask the agent to provide all this information and more and it might save you some trouble. Good luck in your search!

I have already requested all the paper work on the home from the realtor. I should have it tomorrow morning and will be chatting via phone as well. I will be asking many questions along with wood stove options as I am not a fan of baseboard heat.

The extensive frontage on Highway 3 and an industrial road on the backside don't really bother me to much. Also the home has 2 titles one being 17.5 and the other 5 acres. both are included and after doing a bit or shopping I could sell the small 5 acre lot for roughly 70k to build items on the land.

Like I said ill be finding everything out tomorrow.
gsc
Board Meister

Postby gsc » Mar 1st, 2018, 9:23 pm

LTD wrote:baseboard heat to yikes, plan on installing a wood stove

yeah we saw that and would be installing wood or pellet stoves.

LTD likes this post.
gsc
Board Meister

Postby generalposter » Mar 1st, 2018, 9:25 pm

LTD wrote:baseboard heat to yikes, plan on installing a wood stove

Yes, I noticed that too. Pricey pricey. I notice this one does not show the front view detailing highway 3's proximity. Could very well be a major power line there. There is also a railway right of way across the highway. Not sure what that's all about but I would get a lot of answers before I got too excited about this one.

ETA...Don't get me wrong, I think yours is an excellent goal to get away from these crappy cities. We are making the same move soon. Wide open spaces and peace and quiet with no one watching! Yahoo!
Last edited by generalposter on Mar 1st, 2018, 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Someone has to say it.

gsc likes this post.
generalposter
Board Meister

Postby gsc » Mar 1st, 2018, 9:33 pm

we also looked at a nice log home out in Williams lake area. ill see If I can post a link.

https://www.realtor.ca/Residential/Sing ... bia-V0K2G0
gsc
Board Meister

Postby LTD » Mar 1st, 2018, 9:59 pm

make sure you request well logs to drilling isn't cheap i would even have the water tested
LTD
Lord of the Board

Postby generalposter » Mar 1st, 2018, 9:59 pm

gsc wrote:we also looked at a nice log home out in Williams lake area. ill see If I can post a link.

Nice!

I checked 1000 highway 3 and no power line showing and the Kettle Valley Rail Trail is right across the highway which is a bonus.
Someone has to say it.

gsc likes this post.
generalposter
Board Meister

Postby gsc » Mar 1st, 2018, 10:13 pm

generalposter wrote:
gsc wrote:we also looked at a nice log home out in Williams lake area. ill see If I can post a link.

Nice!

I checked 1000 highway 3 and no power line showing and the Kettle Valley Rail Trail is right across the highway which is a bonus.

I did also find out that the gas line is ran past the house so it could be not to bad to get it to the house. Although I would much rather a wood or pellet stove to heat the house even if 2 where needed.

I did do a Google street view and also saw what you had just mentioned about the power lines and the Rail Trail.

I also found out that there is a small cabin on the property as well :). As for the road on either side of the property I'm not super worried about either. It's more about having the freedom to do what you want on a large chunk of land and not having a neighbour so close you could pass them toilet paper.

We are in no rush as we have just been shopping around for the past month and a half.
gsc
Board Meister

Postby alanjh595 » Mar 2nd, 2018, 7:51 am

I am looking to do the same thing and spent most of last summer traveling around looking at different areas. I did go to Greenwood and IT IS SMALL. I too am a woodworker and have the same goal as you. The supply of materials is a problem when it comes to getting things like dimensional lumber, specialty hardware, tools/equipment, sharpening, sheet goods, paint......etc.

If you plan on selling your woodwork, getting them to market is not going to be easy.

Another thing you should be aware of what side of a mountain you are on and sunshine vs shade hours/day. The North slopes will have more snow lasting longer and the South slopes are dry and unsuitable for growing. (You don't want to run your well dry watering the plants).

Emergency medical attention is another issue, especially in the Winter time. Good luck, feel free to PM me about this subject.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

gsc likes this post.
alanjh595
Guru

Liked in: 3268 posts

Postby gsc » Mar 2nd, 2018, 9:23 am

From what I could tell it would in the sun most of the day. Medical it looks like the closest spot would be grand forks. I would love to chat with you later today about it all. I will talk all the advice I can get haha.
gsc
Board Meister

Next

Return to Bickering Room