Summerland Airbnb’s insult to injury

The forum's Skid Road. DO NOT ENTER unless you're ready for a squabble.

Summerland Airbnb’s insult to injury

Postby Chewie1969 » Jul 13th, 2018, 1:15 pm

Hope the government and all governing bodies are looking into Summerland huge amount of Airbnb’s. Are they registered? Are they paying their adequate taxes? Are they even allowed to be an Airbnb’s? Some residents fear, our community of 11,000 have major affordable housing rental crisis, and no one is addressing this huge concern. Airbnb's are just having more of a negative impact on long term rental housing availability or product. Our current Mayor, Council are against any growth, and NOW once again, we have candidates that are running again, that are against any growth here in Summerland. Then adding insult to injury. rental housing are continuing to dwindle, the finger is being pointed in a direction increasingly familiar to BC small communities the Airbnb’s!! we have way too many here in Summerland, it’s time to address this.

This is just a small amount of current Airbnb’s.

https://www.airbnb.ca/s/Summerland--BC/homes?adults=2&children=0&infants=0&guests=2&place_id=ChIJK0qJaftkglQRuKV96-MjsbA&query=Summerland%2C%20BC&refinement_paths%5B%5D=%2Fhomes&allow_override%5B%5D=&s_tag=YrKd-4gh

Because_They_Lie likes this post.
Chewie1969

Liked in: 16 posts

Re: Summerland Airbnb’s insult to injury

Postby OllyV » Jul 13th, 2018, 11:22 pm

Chewie1969 wrote:Hope the government and all governing bodies are looking into Summerland huge amount of Airbnb’s.

Not all the folks living here have retired with big fat pensions and healthy investment portfolios that allow them to own 650 thousand dollar starter homes.

Many are hard working families trying to make ends meet any way they can in an increasingly difficult real estate climate.
Long term rentals are highly risky and can barely cover the mortgage let alone any repairs and maintenance caused by tenants who continually show little regard for property they do not own.

AirBnB gives you a chance to help make the best of your property with a rental model that protects both the tenant and the renter. It is hard work turning over the rental every week to prepare for new guests but if it's worth it to be able to ensure your property isn't getting destroyed.

The referal and review system ensures that bad apples on either side are held to account for their behavior. You don't have that guarantee with long term rentals. In fact, much the opposite, most of the government protections are on the tenants side while the home owner has ALL the risk.

No home owner is getting rich on the short term rental system. Yet of course the government is going get their hands in, they always do.

However, it is not the responsibilty of private home owners to ensure affordable housing is available. If you are fortunate to have a job in a community like this that allows you to afford a mortgage and disciplined enough to do the extra work after your regular job and raising your family to turn over a suite for a few extra bucks a month what is wrong with that?

Is it not similar to the shop local model that we are constantly being asked to do? Buy from the farmers market, not the grocery store. Is the government getting their hands into all that farmers market produce? It's cutting into the local grocery stores bottom line. This can't be allowed unchecked.

What's the difference?

If you feel so strongly about the lack of low rent spaces available then put your money where you're mouth is and make space available at your own risk. If you are unwilling to do that then maybe you should step back a bit and really think about the whole picture.
Thank you God for making me an atheist.

8 people like this post.
OllyV
Board Meister

Liked in: 206 posts

Postby fluffy » Jul 14th, 2018, 9:00 am

Telling people what they can or can’t do with their own property is a slippery slope, but I will say this, there are rules to any game. If homeowners want to compete for short term accommodation business, they should be subject to all the regulations, taxes, fees, safety requirements and inspections as the mainstream hotel/motel operators. Add to that the need to respect the rights of neighbours with regards to noise and parking and such then perhaps this is not the “easy money” that many envision.
Okey dokey doggie daddy.

6 people like this post.
fluffy
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 4371 posts

Postby Chewie1969 » Jul 14th, 2018, 1:11 pm

Quite a few of those that operate Airbnb’s in Summerland are known to be ‘no growth people’ were part of the “Stop the Swap. You want to have your Airbnb’s, but you don’t want the city to have housing that is affordable and close to the core of town? Don’t you think that is being a bit greedy and selfish of you?

There have been studies and reports out there that also makes it clear that a full 70% of the Airbnb rentals are illegal and not paying proper taxes and breaking ‘the current rules and regulations”

We have a housing crisis in Summerland and BC. Tourists have hotels. Our residents need apartments and homes. When hundreds even thousands of houses are dedicated to short-term bookings for tourists, that means they aren’t available for actual locals. Locals are the people who make our community for what they are today.

Airbnb also impacts our neighborhoods in addition, there are safety issues: the degree of fire safety and other security concerns that require are very different from what is required for actual residents who are truly familiar with their building. Noise issues and complaints.

When having to many Airbnb’s in Summerland, this removes housing from the marketplace, further reducing affordable units available for lower-income Summerland Locals who need them most.

We need more of a commitment from our federal and provincial government down to out municipal government. Each community should only be allowed so many Airbnb’s and not beyond that number. This has become and ‘out of control’ situation in BC.
Last edited by Chewie1969 on Jul 14th, 2018, 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2 people like this post.
Chewie1969

Postby Chewie1969 » Jul 14th, 2018, 1:30 pm

Not all the folks living here have retired with big fat pensions and healthy investment portfolios that allow them to own 650 thousand dollar starter homes.

Then get a job like the rest of us. Commute like the rest of us. Many of us are fighting to stay afloat financially, why should you get special privileges? And you know why there are starter homes that are $650,000 and up? I’ll tell you why, because our community fights against ANY growth. It will not allow row housing or entry level that could be affordable for young working families. They fight against building where utilities, pipelines are in place which in turn reduces cost enormously. Airbnb’s are just adding to this disastrous housing shortage in Summerland.

old boy likes this post.
Chewie1969

Postby seewood » Jul 14th, 2018, 7:49 pm

As mentioned, Air B&B is here because of the landlord tenant acts. The RTB is very skewed to the tenant so potential landlords have no desire in taking a risk with dodgy tenants and end up having their property suffer from neglect or chance skipped rents.
I would think most Air B&B's are a suite down stairs and home owner is home. Chances of things going pear shaped are reduced. Big money being made with Air B&B, perhaps a few who look at it as a business, but the ones I know have it for a little extra cash or mortgage helper.
Add costs onto the homeowner and the prices go up. prices go up too much tourists go somewhere else. That happens, business suffer in Summerland...
Summerland has lots of room to grow. perhaps have council push for opening up areas west of town, put in infrastructure with appropriate zoning and good to go.
I am not wealthy but I am rich

OllyV likes this post.
seewood
Übergod

Liked in: 1555 posts

Postby Chimera » Jul 14th, 2018, 9:36 pm

I have family that have an in-law suite. They won’t rent it to anybody for any reason, not even Airbnb. I suppose a law should be made to force them to rent it out?

2 people like this post.
Chimera

Liked in: 31 posts

Postby Even Steven » Jul 14th, 2018, 9:43 pm

Chimera wrote:I have family that have an in-law suite. They won’t rent it to anybody for any reason, not even Airbnb. I suppose a law should be made to force them to rent it out?

I can see that happening. If there's a law about empty appartments, why not a law about suites?
Even Steven
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 2312 posts

Postby Chimera » Jul 14th, 2018, 9:52 pm

So you think it’s a good idea that the government gets involved and forces home owners to rent out any left over space they are not using? I would no longer feel like a home owner if the goverment is going to step in and tell me what i can and can’t do inside my own home that I worked my butt off for.

5 people like this post.
Chimera

Liked in: 31 posts

Postby Chewie1969 » Jul 14th, 2018, 10:42 pm

Chimera wrote:So you think it’s a good idea that the government gets involved and forces home owners to rent out any left over space they are not using? I would no longer feel like a home owner if the goverment is going to step in and tell me what i can and can’t do inside my own home that I worked my butt off for.

Funny, I don't recall writing that anywhere in my posts. But since you brought it up, to address BC Housing Crisis, they have implemented an annual tax on empty or under-utilized residential properties called the Empty Homes Tax. Net revenues from the Empty Homes Tax will be reinvested into affordable housing initiatives.

Again Too many Airbnb's in Summerland. It is impacting our community and province negatively, not fiction it is a fact!

Hotels are for tourists.

Current thoughts and suggestions.

1.There should be a bylaw in place to ensure that this option of operating an Airbnb is not abused and that we limit the amount within the each community.
2. ANYONE who operates an Airbnb should be required to pay for a business license or permit to the city or their municipality.
3. Operating Airbnb's should have a time frame of 7 years. Then the next applicants that are waiting in line to operate this type of business goes in its place.
4. Before opening and offering this service these houses should be inspected and treated like any other business that is operational in this town.
5. I have more ideas, will discuss later.

All cities, towns and communities have Bylaws in place, what you can and can not do on your property. And example, there is bylaws in place to tell you how many farm animals you can have per acre. What you can build on your property. The height of the building you can build. Laws and guidelines are not new, it is important that we have structure and procedures and policy's in place.

We have regulations and codes and bylaws in place for almost everything now. Why should Airbnb's be an exception to this rule?

Why do you think the government had to intervene with foreign investors buying property up in BC and other provinces. Our government is raising its foreign buyers tax and expanding it to areas outside of Vancouver, while bringing in a new levy on speculators, as part of a sweeping plan to improve affordability in the province's overheated housing market.Why do you think there is huge taxation's law in place now and being enforced. Mistakes were made by politicians not foreseeing the negative impact it would have on future housing or lack of. Even realtors and developers have taken advantage of this corrupt system. Before it gets unrepairable, lets make a concerted effort to repair it.

Airbnb's are just a small portion of a larger problem, however, still needs to be dealt with.
Chewie1969

Postby OllyV » Jul 15th, 2018, 1:35 am

Chewie1969 wrote:Then get a job like the rest of us. Commute like the rest of us. Many of us are fighting to stay afloat financially, why should you get special privileges? And you know why there are starter homes that are $650,000 and up? I’ll tell you why, because our community fights against ANY growth. It will not allow row housing or entry level that could be affordable for young working families. They fight against building where utilities, pipelines are in place which in turn reduces cost enormously. Airbnb’s are just adding to this disastrous housing shortage in Summerland.

Did you read my post?

You are making my arguments for me. Do you honestly think unemployed people are buying properties and doing AirBnBs out of them?

It is hard working people, struggling to make ends meet that are offering Airbnbs for the most part. They are using them as actual, mortgage helpers. Adding an Airbnb to your life is not easy when you have a family and a career but for many it is a way to make ends meet.

Add I said, if you are so concerned about the housing crisis, buy a property, insure it for rentals, upgrade it to code, find suitable tenants, repair the damage when they leave, assume all the risk with none of the government protections, and put your money where you're mouth is.

And don't forget to set the rent at a loss otherwise you'll be labeled as a money gouger trying to live your pockets in lucrative fields of long term rentals. Long term rental is a charity of you didn't know.

(That last bit was sarcastic if you couldn't tell)

If you haven't been on all sides of this equation, your opinion isn't very useful.

I agree with your growth argument but not that restricting Airbnb will help.

I agree we need more thoughtful growth and less retirees stifling it. Desperately.

But that is a different issue.

Airbnbs are helping many of the young families struggling in this housing crisis make it work. Otherwise, they may not be able to afford their mortgages.
Thank you God for making me an atheist.

2 people like this post.
OllyV
Board Meister

Liked in: 206 posts

Postby fluffy » Jul 15th, 2018, 6:14 am

In principle, I can’t really fault those operating short-term vacation rentals. Compared to long term rental the return on investment can be much more lucrative. The arguments against this type of business are largely ethical, there is nothing illegal about it here as yet so it is it’s a matter of conscience for those choosing this kind of venture. But I do take issue with those operating under the table. You can’t tell me for a second that these people are unaware of the requirements for running a business of this type. I’d like to see the penalties for getting caught raised to the point of being an effective deterrent.

There are cities, Toronto for example, that have already placed severe restrictions on the practice so it only follows to reason that changes are in the wind for this entire branch of the accommodations industry. It’s my guess that when those changes do come down the pipe that those who have been operating legally will fare better than those in the darker end of the market.

How soon can we expect to see changes here? There is no shortage of SJW’s in this neck of the woods, and it’s a long shot that they’re all running underground short term rental operations, so yes, the changes will come sooner than later. Penticton is already sleuthing out unlicensed operators, I think when the true numbers of how widespread the practice is, along with increasing social pressure concerning the housing shortage, escalation of restrictive action is inevitable.
Okey dokey doggie daddy.

Chewie1969 likes this post.
fluffy
Buddha of the Board

Postby Chewie1969 » Jul 15th, 2018, 10:36 pm

It is hard working people, struggling to make ends meet that are offering Airbnbs for the most part. They are using them as actual, mortgage helpers. Adding an Airbnb to your life is not easy when you have a family and a career but for many it is a way to make ends meet.

I agree with some of your comments but not all.

On the contrary to what you believe most of these home owners that are operating AirBnb’s in Summerland are not all young working families. Demographics and stats in BC show most of these properties are owned by citizens over 60 years old. Most of these Airbnb’s in Summerland are operating illegally. Clearly you can click on these properties and realize most of them are $750,000 and up. To even qualify for that type of mortgage you would have to be making annually over ‘estimate’ $200,000 a year or more and most young couples are not making that yet. And those that are making that kind of $$$ are not 'hurting financially " like most of us. As well, I don’t think many banks take Airbnb money as stable income yet to be a qualifier (haha). Most of that money earned from these Airbnb’s is extra $$$. and possibly not being reported to CRA either.

Hypothetically if these ‘young families you say’ are putting this extra earned income towards for their mortgage then they should be listed as a Business and example a 'Bed and Breakfast' and pay the proper taxes and follow the legal guidelines and rules in our municipality. It’s a business, that’s a fact. All of us can do things illegally to make extra income $$$ but does not make it right. Inevitably we all pay for those mistakes and bad decisions. We need to desperately to regulate at a municipal, provincial and federal level. Collecting taxes and revenue from business licenses from these Airbnb’s would be quite beneficial to our community and BC.

Maybe I am misinterpreting from what you are posting. Are you okay with those that fight against any growth ‘affordable housing’ in Summerland and still want to operate an illegal business like an Airbnb and not pay taxes nor follow rules or regulations? How is this fair? Explain to me how this is going to be good for the future of Summerland?
Chewie1969

Postby seewood » Jul 16th, 2018, 7:18 am

Chewie1969 wrote: Demographics and stats in BC show most of these properties are owned by citizens over 60 years old. Most of these Airbnb’s in Summerland are operating illegally. Clearly you can click on these properties and realize most of them are $750,000 and up. To even qualify for that type of mortgage you would have to be making annually over ‘estimate’ $200,000 a year or more and most young couples are not making that yet.

Perhaps a fun fact: if you are over sixty and own a home, in all likelihood it might have been purchased some time ago and is now worth what it is through no fault of their own. Our house for example was purchased 20 years ago for about a quarter of what the assessment says it is worth today.
We did the B&B thing for a bit. Was fine but gave it up a number of years ago. We were above board and consequently paid more in water fees for example, as we should.
I have no problem with jurisdictions "taxing" a bit more for using the jurisdictions infrastructure in the case of a B&B. They should. To have jurisdictions dictating how homeowners use their houses and suites is just that, dictatorship. Those politicians will have a short shelf life if that comes to fruition.
I am not wealthy but I am rich

Troutcreeker likes this post.
seewood
Übergod

Liked in: 1555 posts

Postby fluffy » Jul 16th, 2018, 7:37 am

But these operations are in direct competition with mainstream hotel/motel businesses. Should that playing field not be level?
Okey dokey doggie daddy.

Chewie1969 likes this post.
fluffy
Buddha of the Board

Next

Return to Bickering Room