Summerland Airbnb’s insult to injury

The forum's Skid Road. DO NOT ENTER unless you're ready for a squabble.

Re: Summerland Airbnb’s insult to injury

Postby alanjh595 » Jul 31st, 2018, 6:37 pm

W105 wrote:love the passion in your reply to my comment here Alan...hope you saw some daylight today :)


AGAIN....thank you for your concern about my well being. I saw enough sunlight today to give my skin warmth and make me feel rejuvenated, but not so much as to give me concern of getting skin Cancer.

Once again you have shown more interest in my well being than you have in addressing my reply to your ill-informed post.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
User avatar
alanjh595
Guru
 
Posts: 8686
Likes: 3468 posts
Liked in: 4369 posts
Joined: Oct 20th, 2017, 5:18 pm

Re: Summerland Airbnb’s insult to injury

Postby youhavegottobekidding » Aug 10th, 2018, 3:53 pm

ANY B&B should be subject to ALL taxes that the Hotels, Motels and us citizens pay, Income Tax as THIS IS INCOME. Once all these taxes are PAID, they will soon realize that renting out a portion of your house or all of the 2nd home, that this might NOT BE PROFITABLE at all.

Imagine having to pay Income Tax on that home when you sell it because you used the home as a Business...... I wonder how many of these renters even thought about that.....

all I can say is GOOD LUCK!!!

2 people like this post.
youhavegottobekidding
Fledgling
 
Posts: 235
Likes: 1869 posts
Liked in: 97 posts
Joined: Oct 29th, 2012, 1:51 pm

Re: Summerland Airbnb’s insult to injury

Postby alanjh595 » Aug 10th, 2018, 6:19 pm

youhavegottobekidding wrote:ANY B&B should be subject to ALL taxes that the Hotels, Motels and us citizens pay, Income Tax as THIS IS INCOME. Once all these taxes are PAID, they will soon realize that renting out a portion of your house or all of the 2nd home, that this might NOT BE PROFITABLE at all.

Imagine having to pay Income Tax on that home when you sell it because you used the home as a Business...... I wonder how many of these renters even thought about that.....

all I can say is GOOD LUCK!!!


Then the same rules and taxes should also be placed on long term rentals. Pass the extra costs on to the tenants.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
User avatar
alanjh595
Guru
 
Posts: 8686
Likes: 3468 posts
Liked in: 4369 posts
Joined: Oct 20th, 2017, 5:18 pm

Re: Summerland Airbnb’s insult to injury

Postby twobits » Aug 11th, 2018, 6:02 pm

fluffy wrote:That is largely because of the scare tactics used by governments leaning more to the right, they count on people not knowing that socialism is not really a bad word. Public education, subsidized medical, taxpayer supported infrastructure, these are all examples of socialist theory at work.

At the other end of the scale, pure capitalism, is where I see those who have bought houses for exclusive use as short term rentals, especially those operating outside the regulatory system. It's all about me and my bank account, screw the rest.


Wow fluff. I think you just invented a new definition of socialism and capitalism in three sentences. I know you don't drink anymore so where in hades did that pile of balderdash come from?
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
twobits
Guru
 
Posts: 7166
Likes: 1062 posts
Liked in: 3793 posts
Joined: Nov 25th, 2010, 9:44 am
Location: GPS says Dead Elbow Utah. Think I'm lost

Re: Summerland Airbnb’s insult to injury

Postby twobits » Aug 11th, 2018, 6:18 pm

W105 wrote:love the passion in your reply to my comment here Alan...hope you saw some daylight today :)


You know what....you have a few very marginal points that have merritt however you dilute that merrit with rants that just make you a person with paycheque or wealth envy of others.
I don't know your personal situation but can surmise that perhaps some further education, fewer visits to Starbucks, or a better discipline in saving for your own financial outcome at an earlier point in your life may have made you less bitter towards people that have become more financially secure than yourself.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
twobits
Guru
 
Posts: 7166
Likes: 1062 posts
Liked in: 3793 posts
Joined: Nov 25th, 2010, 9:44 am
Location: GPS says Dead Elbow Utah. Think I'm lost

Re: Summerland Airbnb’s insult to injury

Postby fluffy » Aug 11th, 2018, 6:28 pm

twobits wrote:Wow fluff. I think you just invented a new definition of socialism and capitalism in three sentences. I know you don't drink anymore so where in hades did that pile of balderdash come from?


You’re being a little too general for any kind of meaningful response twobits. If you can be a bit more specific as to what’s picking your *bleep* I’d be happy to come out and play.
Okey dokey doggie daddy.
User avatar
fluffy
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 19376
Likes: 342 posts
Liked in: 4357 posts
Joined: Jun 1st, 2006, 5:42 pm
Location: Ogo

Re: Summerland Airbnb’s insult to injury

Postby Chewie1969 » Aug 11th, 2018, 11:45 pm

youhavegottobekidding wrote:ANY B&B should be subject to ALL taxes that the Hotels, Motels and us citizens pay, Income Tax as THIS IS INCOME. Once all these taxes are PAID, they will soon realize that renting out a portion of your house or all of the 2nd home, that this might NOT BE PROFITABLE at all.

Imagine having to pay Income Tax on that home when you sell it because you used the home as a Business...... I wonder how many of these renters even thought about that.....

all I can say is GOOD LUCK!!!



I agree with this 100%
Chewie1969
 
Posts: 37
Likes: 59 posts
Liked in: 16 posts
Joined: Jul 5th, 2018, 12:58 pm

Re: Summerland Airbnb’s insult to injury

Postby Chewie1969 » Aug 12th, 2018, 12:05 am

The increasing number of Airbnb listings in the Okanagan has a huge undesirable effect on the residential housing market. Those that deny this are delusional or have an Airbnb themselves and are trying to get ‘away with murder’. Homeowners are simply turning their properties into Airbnb listings and they believe they could make more money, which may exacerbate already existing housing problems in communities. Furthermore, Airbnb could have an adverse impact on the residents’ quality of life because of nuisances caused by visitors. Crime in Summerland each year is increasing, and I have no doubt it has to do with our Airbnb visitors. We can’t always blame the ‘pickers’

Another issue that is gaining concern is the ethics again with local realtors. Recently looking at the housing market and studying the changes with the speculation tax and other regulations. I noted a great deal of realtors are now selling properties using the tag line -'This property would be a great investment as an Airbnb"



This has to stop now.

Carrs Landing Viking likes this post.
Chewie1969
 
Posts: 37
Likes: 59 posts
Liked in: 16 posts
Joined: Jul 5th, 2018, 12:58 pm

Re: Summerland Airbnb’s insult to injury

Postby OllyV » Aug 12th, 2018, 12:38 am

Chewie1969 wrote: I noted a great deal of realtors are now selling properties using the tag line -'This property would be a great investment as an Airbnb"
This has to stop now.



Oh no! They are encouraging investment in tourism in a tourist community!!!

How will we ever recover?

We must put a stop to that before... hmmm... I guess before more tourist dollars come to our tourism dependant community?

It seems your concerns are well thought out Chewie.
Thank you God for making me an atheist.
OllyV
Board Meister
 
Posts: 354
Likes: 358 posts
Liked in: 204 posts
Joined: Nov 16th, 2016, 9:40 am

Re: Summerland Airbnb’s insult to injury

Postby seewood » Aug 12th, 2018, 7:32 am

Chewie1969 wrote:Airbnb could have an adverse impact on the residents’ quality of life because of nuisances caused by visitors. Crime in Summerland each year is increasing, and I have no doubt it has to do with our Airbnb visitors. We can’t always blame the ‘pickers’


Get a grip.

You honestly believe the increase in crime is because people spending $100.00 and more per night on a temp basis after driving in their suv's is the reason for increased crime?
I also don't believe the "pickers" are the ones out looking for things to steal at 2 in the morning.
The thieving going on in Summerland, Penticton, Kelowna as well I suspect and basically everywhere is because of *bleep* needing money for their drugs and booze. Welfare does not pay enough to buy a bag of Doritos, crack, pot, and whatever else they are addicted to.
I do see your point with Air B&B and short term rentals disturbing neighbors. Many complaints in Penticton years ago when they first started showing up.
I am not wealthy but I am rich

OllyV likes this post.
seewood
Übergod
 
Posts: 1520
Likes: 3798 posts
Liked in: 1512 posts
Joined: May 29th, 2013, 2:08 pm

Re: Summerland Airbnb’s insult to injury

Postby fluffy » Aug 12th, 2018, 8:56 am

Most of the towns and cities taking steps to restrict short-term rentals are focusing on those who buy properties exclusively for that purpose. This is the problem area and I’d be totally okay with that practice being abolished.
Okey dokey doggie daddy.

OllyV likes this post.
User avatar
fluffy
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 19376
Likes: 342 posts
Liked in: 4357 posts
Joined: Jun 1st, 2006, 5:42 pm
Location: Ogo

Re: Summerland Airbnb’s insult to injury

Postby OllyV » Aug 12th, 2018, 9:34 am

seewood wrote:
Chewie1969 wrote:Airbnb could have an adverse impact on the residents’ quality of life because of nuisances caused by visitors. Crime in Summerland each year is increasing, and I have no doubt it has to do with our Airbnb visitors. We can’t always blame the ‘pickers’


Get a grip.

You honestly believe the increase in crime is because people spending $100.00 and more per night on a temp basis after driving in their suv's is the reason for increased crime?


Chewie's views seem so alarming detached from reality that it is pretty clear he is often simply trolling.

That being said, I feel it is important to note again, as I have before, that all short term rental services are not equal. AirBnB users simply could not behave in a manner disturbing to the public and keep using the system. Claims that that is a problem clearly show a lack of knowledge by the complainer.

AirBnB has a review system for renters and landlords that ensures the bad apples are quickly weeded out. Other short term rental systems do not. You could not be a nuisance user or landlord and continue to get bookings with AirBnB. It is the responsible system. Not the problem.

Of course there are some bad apples (as in all of life) but it is not common and the system takes care of it.

This same cannot be said for long term renters. Abusers exist on both sides of that system and cannot be regulated. There are many, many more long term renters that are a problem to their neighbors than short term. And they don't leave in a couple days.

I read castanet every day. I cannot remember the last time I saw, if ever, an article about AirBnBers causing a public nuisance. There are articles several times a week about long term renters being a problem. Including in the top stories this very minute.

Not all short term rental systems are the same.
However, I have personal experience with dozens of AirBnB clients and not one was anything but kind, courteous, respectful and contributed to our community while they were here. Honestly, not one. I highly doubt anyone even knew we had guests. They were quiet, respectful and left their money at our local businesses when they went home.

You need to follow the rules, regional and provincial, but when we do this is win, win for all parties.

I also have personal experience with long term renters. I have had a very different experience with them. Not all, but most have been messy, disrespectful of our property, the neighbours and, by extension, us as their landlords. There is no protection from them and unless their future landlords are given our names as reference, no way to stop them from continuing this behaviour.

It is a deeply flawed system that puts at risk property owners, communities and the renters. THAT system does, desperately need to be fixed. THAT system needs the attention and public outrage.

I speak from experience. The short term boom is largely due to the extreme risks and minimal rewards of the long term system.

We live in a tourist community where tourist dollars keep many of us alive. We need to work with the short term rental community and stop spreading false information about their impact.

People who come on here with their "sky is falling" nonsense are part of the problem, not the solution. Please try to mitigate your indignant outrage with facts or personal experience so you can contribute to constructive conversation and a better community not just stir up dissension. Leave the speculation and hyperbole at the door.

Nonsense comments like claiming AirBnBers are stealing from the community should be scrubbed from the boards by moderators as spreading verifiable lies simply to foment fear and distrust.

If you have proof AirBnBers are stealing from us while on their vacations let's see it. Otherwise stick to the facts.
Thank you God for making me an atheist.

seewood likes this post.
OllyV
Board Meister
 
Posts: 354
Likes: 358 posts
Liked in: 204 posts
Joined: Nov 16th, 2016, 9:40 am

Re: Summerland Airbnb’s insult to injury

Postby OllyV » Aug 12th, 2018, 9:38 am

fluffy wrote:Most of the towns and cities taking steps to restrict short-term rentals are focusing on those who buy properties exclusively for that purpose. This is the problem area and I’d be totally okay with that practice being abolished.


Absolutely.

Also,

1. You should live at the residence.
2. You shouldn't have more than one rental suite.
3. You shouldn't be able to rent strata units for short term rentals.

Those are all fair regulations that would help improve the system and minimize the abusers.
Thank you God for making me an atheist.

seewood likes this post.
OllyV
Board Meister
 
Posts: 354
Likes: 358 posts
Liked in: 204 posts
Joined: Nov 16th, 2016, 9:40 am

Re: Summerland Airbnb’s insult to injury

Postby twobits » Aug 12th, 2018, 5:12 pm

fluffy wrote:
You’re being a little too general for any kind of meaningful response twobits. If you can be a bit more specific as to what’s picking your *bleep* I’d be happy to come out and play.


Not interested in playing fluff.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
twobits
Guru
 
Posts: 7166
Likes: 1062 posts
Liked in: 3793 posts
Joined: Nov 25th, 2010, 9:44 am
Location: GPS says Dead Elbow Utah. Think I'm lost

Re: Summerland Airbnb’s insult to injury

Postby fluffy » Aug 12th, 2018, 6:53 pm

twobits wrote:Not interested in playing fluff.


Cut and run?
Okey dokey doggie daddy.
User avatar
fluffy
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 19376
Likes: 342 posts
Liked in: 4357 posts
Joined: Jun 1st, 2006, 5:42 pm
Location: Ogo

PreviousNext

Return to Bickering Room

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 0 guests