Smoke here to stay

The forum's Skid Road. DO NOT ENTER unless you're ready for a squabble.

Re: Smoke here to stay

Postby The Green Barbarian » Jul 27th, 2018, 7:14 am

Fancy wrote:
Smoke filling into the Okanagan Thursday is being reported by the BC Wildfire Service as being from fires in Greece, Finland and Siberia.


and as we all know, the most dangerous fire is a Greece-fire. Ba boom tish!!
All evidence points to the snollygoster scown Justin Trudeau being unfit to run this country. The LIEberal platform is all foofrah. Don't be fooled by the LIEberal decepticons. October 2019 can't come fast enough.

6 people like this post.
User avatar
The Green Barbarian
Admiral HMS Castanet
 
Posts: 33292
Likes: 15854 posts
Liked in: 22614 posts
Joined: Sep 16th, 2010, 9:13 am
Location: Far away from any Leftists

Re: Smoke here to stay

Postby Cactusflower » Jul 27th, 2018, 8:32 am

mikest2 wrote:
Cactusflower wrote:https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/232396/Smoke-here-to-stay

Oh, for those exhausted fire-fighters' sake, and for those who have been forced to become 'shut-ins' due to poor air quality........send in those converted 737s and put these things out once and for all. I'd much rather the government spent my tax dollars on water bombers than some of the less important stuff they spend my money on.


The 737's are not ready yet, should be in August


Thanks for that info. I should have known when I started this thread that I would be faced with a backlash of negativity. It's the nature of the Castanet forums beast. Nobody needs to be told that the latest rash of forest fires was caused by lightning, but the result is the same as if they were human-caused, a prolonged smoke-filled valley causing our health care system to be bogged down with respiratory illnesses. Why can't our government realize that our tax dollars would be better spent on fire suppression rather than anti-smoking ads?
Cactusflower
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 4849
Likes: 2394 posts
Liked in: 1006 posts
Joined: Aug 27th, 2017, 11:33 pm

Re: Smoke here to stay

Postby Smurf » Jul 27th, 2018, 8:59 am

Cactusflower wrote:

Thanks for that info. I should have known when I started this thread that I would be faced with a backlash of negativity. It's the nature of the Castanet forums beast. Nobody needs to be told that the latest rash of forest fires was caused by lightning, but the result is the same as if they were human-caused, a prolonged smoke-filled valley causing our health care system to be bogged down with respiratory illnesses. Why can't our government realize that our tax dollars would be better spent on fire suppression rather than anti-smoking ads?


Maybe you are faced with backlash because of the type of threads you start and the generally uninformed personal tilt you you put on them. Just suggesting.

I'm sure everyone would love to see the fires stopped immediately, but in the real world that is not possible because of so many factors. Bad terrain, too much smoke to fly, not enough manpower, can't usually fly at night, weather conditions, are only a few.

They probably spend more money on anti-smoking adds because sooo many more people are killed by smoking than forest fire smoke. I know there are large financial losses but they probably value life more than money/property.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.

4 people like this post.
User avatar
Smurf
Guru
 
Posts: 9787
Likes: 16706 posts
Liked in: 6605 posts
Joined: Aug 12th, 2006, 8:55 am
Location: Okanagan BC

Re: Smoke here to stay

Postby OKkayak » Jul 27th, 2018, 9:49 am

Cactusflower wrote:
Thanks for that info. I should have known when I started this thread that I would be faced with a backlash of negativity.

You received a backlash because A) you presented false facts and B) your refusal to accept factual information C) your continuation of arguing false facts.

There is only 1 available 737 that is nearing completion in the certification process:

http://fireaviation.com/2018/07/14/the- ... ir-tanker/

So, until the 737 is certified, it cannot be used ... period!
"Listen, I'm a politician which means I'm a cheat and a liar, and when I'm not kissing babies I'm stealing their lollipops. But it also means I keep my options open."
- Jeffrey Pelt: The Hunt for Red October

7 people like this post.
User avatar
OKkayak
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3295
Likes: 3195 posts
Liked in: 3921 posts
Joined: May 14th, 2018, 11:10 pm

Re: Smoke here to stay

Postby LordEd » Jul 27th, 2018, 10:45 am

What negativity? I see a majority of posts indicating sources of smoke along with links.
I may disapprove of what you say, but I will defend your right to be punished for it. (User profile -> Search user’s posts)
https://xkcd.com/1357/

5 people like this post.
LordEd
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3905
Likes: 2 posts
Liked in: 2498 posts
Joined: Apr 3rd, 2008, 9:22 am

Re: Smoke here to stay

Postby Smurf » Jul 27th, 2018, 11:38 am

I believe if you disagree with CF you are negative.


EDIT TO ADD:

Since it seems a majority of Castanet posters, British Columbians and Canadians usually disagree with CF it means there is a lot of negativity.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.

6 people like this post.
User avatar
Smurf
Guru
 
Posts: 9787
Likes: 16706 posts
Liked in: 6605 posts
Joined: Aug 12th, 2006, 8:55 am
Location: Okanagan BC

Re: Smoke here to stay

Postby Cactusflower » Jul 27th, 2018, 2:08 pm

Smurf wrote:I believe if you disagree with CF you are negative.


EDIT TO ADD:

Since it seems a majority of Castanet posters, British Columbians and Canadians usually disagree with CF it means there is a lot of negativity.


Bingo! I wonder why I experience so much negativity on the Castanet forums, yet none on the other public opinion forums I participate in. Chew on that, Smurf et al.

I suppose just like good little BC Liberal sheep, you'll be complaining if the BC Wildfire Service decides to use that 737 in August.

BTW......https://uwaterloo.ca/tobacco-use-canada ... h-columbia
Compare that to the number of people who are subjected to forest fire smoke each year in B.C.
Cactusflower
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 4849
Likes: 2394 posts
Liked in: 1006 posts
Joined: Aug 27th, 2017, 11:33 pm

Re: Smoke here to stay

Postby Urbane » Jul 27th, 2018, 2:15 pm

    Cactusflower wrote:
    Bingo! I wonder why I experience so much negativity on the Castanet forums, yet none on the other public opinion forums I participate in. Chew on that, Smurf et al.

    I suppose just like good little BC Liberal sheep, you'll be complaining if the BC Wildfire Service decides to use that 737 in August.
Why do you have to politicize the firefighting? I remember NDP'ers on here bitterly complaining about Christy Clark not using the Martin Mars bombers and there was even the suggestion made that she was not using them because she wanted to leave the fires burning for Horgan.

Newsflash: Christy Clark wanted to see the fires extinguished as quickly as possible and ditto for John Horgan. Both have have relied on the best expert advice and that advice has been to use the smaller more maneuverable planes. It has nothing to do with saving money and everything to do with what works. Period.

2 people like this post.
User avatar
Urbane
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 21970
Likes: 10342 posts
Liked in: 13010 posts
Joined: Jul 8th, 2007, 7:41 pm

Re: Smoke here to stay

Postby Smurf » Jul 27th, 2018, 2:38 pm

Cactusflower wrote:
Bingo! I wonder why I experience so much negativity on the Castanet forums, yet none on the other public opinion forums I participate in. Chew on that, Smurf et al.


I have no idea why, but my guess would be they are forums that tend to agree with your opinion and don't care much about truth or facts. Maybe you should stick to them, it sounds like you would be much happier.

Must be nice to have all that time to waste. I'm retired and I can't even come close to keeping up with Castanet.

I really don't know why anyone would be against using the 737 in August or whenever it or they are ready. Again due to their size etc they could be useless in some applications but time will tell and the people handling it will know much better than most of us.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.

Urbane likes this post.
User avatar
Smurf
Guru
 
Posts: 9787
Likes: 16706 posts
Liked in: 6605 posts
Joined: Aug 12th, 2006, 8:55 am
Location: Okanagan BC

Re: Smoke here to stay

Postby Cactusflower » Jul 27th, 2018, 2:40 pm

Urbane, look around you. It's not working very well, is it?
Cactusflower
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 4849
Likes: 2394 posts
Liked in: 1006 posts
Joined: Aug 27th, 2017, 11:33 pm

Re: Smoke here to stay

Postby Urbane » Jul 27th, 2018, 2:48 pm

    Cactusflower wrote:Urbane, look around you. It's not working very well, is it?
Au contraire! The crews are doing a great job. I'm really not sure what you expect but I agree with Smurf. If the 737s are ready in August and if it's determined that they would be useful I can't imagine anyone being opposed to doing so. In the meantime, firefighting efforts seem to be going exceedingly well.

2 people like this post.
User avatar
Urbane
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 21970
Likes: 10342 posts
Liked in: 13010 posts
Joined: Jul 8th, 2007, 7:41 pm

Re: Smoke here to stay

Postby Urbane » Jul 27th, 2018, 4:07 pm

    Cactusflower wrote:
    Bingo! I wonder why I experience so much negativity on the Castanet forums, yet none on the other public opinion forums I participate in. Chew on that, Smurf et al.

    I suppose just like good little BC Liberal sheep, you'll be complaining if the BC Wildfire Service decides to use that 737 in August.

    BTW......https://uwaterloo.ca/tobacco-use-canada ... h-columbia
    Compare that to the number of people who are subjected to forest fire smoke each year in B.C.

So here we are in the bickering room with a thread that YOU started and that YOU took off topic. Funny that! Anyway, the crews are doing a great job here and knocking down these fires really well. Sad what's happening in California right now. That situation certainly puts our situation into perspective - for those who want to put it into perspective.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/northern-cali ... d=56859441
User avatar
Urbane
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 21970
Likes: 10342 posts
Liked in: 13010 posts
Joined: Jul 8th, 2007, 7:41 pm

Re: Smoke here to stay

Postby ifwisheswerehorses » Jul 27th, 2018, 10:24 pm

The Green Barbarian wrote:
Fancy wrote:
Smoke filling into the Okanagan Thursday is being reported by the BC Wildfire Service as being from fires in Greece, Finland and Siberia.


and as we all know, the most dangerous fire is a Greece-fire. Ba boom tish!!



Not Funny
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-44971351
Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you’ll ever regret.
User avatar
ifwisheswerehorses
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 925
Likes: 14 posts
Liked in: 464 posts
Joined: Jul 14th, 2010, 1:58 pm

Re: Smoke here to stay

Postby OKkayak » Jul 28th, 2018, 11:16 am

Needles to say, this year we've been having it pretty good in regards to fires. I'm quite surprised the usual crew hasn't built a bronze alter in worship of their Saviour Horgan, I'm sure its all because of him. :laugh:
"Listen, I'm a politician which means I'm a cheat and a liar, and when I'm not kissing babies I'm stealing their lollipops. But it also means I keep my options open."
- Jeffrey Pelt: The Hunt for Red October
User avatar
OKkayak
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3295
Likes: 3195 posts
Liked in: 3921 posts
Joined: May 14th, 2018, 11:10 pm

Re: Smoke here to stay

Postby alanjh595 » Jul 28th, 2018, 11:26 am

OKkayak wrote:Needles to say, this year we've been having it pretty good in regards to fires. I'm quite surprised the usual crew hasn't built a bronze alter in worship of their Saviour Horgan, I'm sure its all because of him. :laugh:


Horgan will rain on anyone's parade/forest.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

OKkayak likes this post.
User avatar
alanjh595
Guru
 
Posts: 9341
Likes: 3647 posts
Liked in: 4617 posts
Joined: Oct 20th, 2017, 5:18 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Bickering Room

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 0 guests