Smoke here to stay

The forum's Skid Road. DO NOT ENTER unless you're ready for a squabble.

Re: Smoke here to stay

Postby Omnitheo » Jul 29th, 2018, 10:52 am

Under the liberals, they slashed the firefighting budget to make the budget look better. Year after allocating far less than required to firefighting, and then year over year blaming fires for additional expenditures.

It’s like saying “ok we’ve balanced our budget. We’re only going to spend this much on groceries this month, far less than we usually do”

And then next month when you went wildly over budget blaming “well I had no way of predicting how hungry I was going to be!”
Omnitheo
Guru

Liked in: 4934 posts

Postby Smurf » Jul 29th, 2018, 9:41 pm

VICTORIA (NEWS 1130) – Last year marked the worst wildfire season on record in BC, so does the provincial government have the money needed to fight what could potentially be another busy fire season?

Every year the government lowballs how much funding is set aside to fight fires and it tends to always burn through its budget. This year’s budget is just shy of $64 million while last year Victoria spent more than eight times that amount.

Forests Minister Doug Donaldson tells NEWS 1130 there’s a reason for that.

“We look on a 10-year average and last year, obviously, was a really abnormal year, it was over $600 million in direct firefighting costs. We just want to make sure the public knows that when there is need for financial resources, they’ll be there to fight the fires and last year was a good example of that. The money is there, it’s put in the budget to hold a place and to have a 10-year average, but if extra resources are required we make sure they get to the people who need them for sure.”

He adds the “fire situation” in BC has increased over the last several years, while other provinces, like Alberta, are seeing a downward trend and Donaldson says using the 10-year average method works for the government.

“We want to make sure that we’re reflecting those costs in the budget, but again, as needed the funds will be there for fighting the fires and making sure that people and property are the first and foremost to protect.”

https://www.news1130.com/2018/06/24/bc- ... low-burns/

With at least 122 wildfires now raging across B.C., the province’s annual wildfire fighting budget has already gone up in smoke.

More than $89 million has been spent so far, $25 million more than the $64 million allocated for wildfire suppression in the 2018 budget.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4345606/bc-w ... -in-smoke/

Do we see a trend here?
Forests Minister Doug Donaldson says "He adds the “fire situation” in BC has increased over the last several years, while other provinces, like Alberta, are seeing a downward trend and Donaldson says using the 10-year average method works for the government."

I don't think it works any better than what the Liberals did, but sounds good, LOL.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Smurf
Guru

Liked in: 6624 posts

Postby Glacier » Jul 31st, 2018, 12:09 pm

Omnitheo wrote:Under the liberals, they slashed the firefighting budget to make the budget look better. Year after allocating far less than required to firefighting, and then year over year blaming fires for additional expenditures.

It’s like saying “ok we’ve balanced our budget. We’re only going to spend this much on groceries this month, far less than we usually do”

And then next month when you went wildly over budget blaming “well I had no way of predicting how hungry I was going to be!”

This is factually untrue, but such a common superstition that even the government official in charge doesn't know how the budgets are set. The last government had no idea either. As far back as I can remember, the budgets were set to pay for the resources in the event no fires happened. Then they add money as needed.

https://questioningthedata.wordpress.co ... g-budgets/
“Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die”

Catsumi likes this post.
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Liked in: 12814 posts

Postby Bsuds » Sep 1st, 2018, 7:56 pm

Sure was nice that the smoke was gone today and we could see the blue skies and chemtrails. :biggrin:
Being an Adult is the dumbest thing I have ever done!
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Liked in: 13321 posts

Previous

Return to Bickering Room