Random drug testing for welfare recipients

The forum's Skid Road. DO NOT ENTER unless you're ready for a squabble.

Random drug testing for welfare recipients

Postby common_sense_guy » Jul 31st, 2018, 7:04 am

There should be mandatory random drug testing for welfare recipients. After reading about the excess overdoses on welfare check day this should be looked into. Employers have a right to do random drug testing on their people at their job sites so why not with the welfare recipients who are getting a free ride. Their Free Ride shouldn't be so they can do drugs on our expense
the smartest person in the room usually isn't the one talking the most but rather talking the least ;)

10 people like this post.
common_sense_guy
Fledgling

Liked in: 216 posts

Re: Random drug testing for welfare recipients

Postby TylerM4 » Jul 31st, 2018, 7:40 am

I agree, so long as we include support and rehabilitation for addicts in the process. Someone who's become an addict and hit rock-bottom should be allowed to start welfare and a treatment program at the same time. Start testing them 6 months later...

dle likes this post.
TylerM4
Übergod

Liked in: 1186 posts

Postby soupy » Jul 31st, 2018, 7:44 am

common_sense_guy wrote:There should be mandatory random drug testing for welfare recipients. After reading about the excess overdoses on welfare check day this should be looked into. Employers have a right to do random drug testing on their people at their job sites so why not with the welfare recipients who are getting a free ride. Their Free Ride shouldn't be so they can do drugs on our expense

Ummm, please tell me which employers are permitted to do random drug testing.

Having worked in extremely safety sensitive job settings. Drug testing is only allowed pre-job, post-incident (if human error may be a factor), or reasonable cause to believe.

Random testing. Certainly not allowed.

https://www.canadaemploymenthumanrights ... workplace/
Last edited by soupy on Jul 31st, 2018, 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
soupy
Board Meister

Liked in: 565 posts

Postby dogspoiler » Jul 31st, 2018, 7:44 am

Agreed, it may not be easy but a system of vouchers, coupons, direct rent payments, hampers could have some good results. There has been a lot of talk about what to do to help addicts. I have never heard that giving them a handful of cash would be a good idea.
If beer is not the answer.
You are asking the wrong question.

2 people like this post.
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 2582 posts

Postby LTD » Jul 31st, 2018, 7:54 am

soupy wrote:
common_sense_guy wrote:There should be mandatory random drug testing for welfare recipients. After reading about the excess overdoses on welfare check day this should be looked into. Employers have a right to do random drug testing on their people at their job sites so why not with the welfare recipients who are getting a free ride. Their Free Ride shouldn't be so they can do drugs on our expense

Ummm, please tell me which employers are permitted to do random drug testing.

Having worked in extremely safety sensitive job settings. Drug testing is only allowed pre-job, post-incident (if human error may be a factor), or reasonable cause to believe.

Random testing. Certainly not allowed.

https://www.canadaemploymenthumanrights ... workplace/

it does happen and is allowed I have worked for more than one outfit that does it although generally the only random test is when its been pretty obvious someone shouldn't be on sight

Jflem1983 likes this post.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 3248 posts

Postby bob vernon » Jul 31st, 2018, 7:56 am

Once again, we would be attacking the victim of the crime. The crime is the importation, manufacture, and trafficking of addictive drugs. Not their use. The addict is the victim who uses drugs to cover his despair. Because the dealers and traffickers are willing to jeopardize vulnerable lives for a profit, they should be subject to capital punishment for their crime. A first offense could mean jail time, but a second offense of trafficking should mean death. I'm serious about this. Nothing less will end the trafficking.

We are entering an era where jobs are scarcer. And we will always have that segment of society who can't take care of themselves and are vulnerable. Those who take advantage of them for profit should be stopped.

OldIslander likes this post.
bob vernon
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1351 posts

Postby soupy » Jul 31st, 2018, 8:07 am

https://www.canadaemploymenthumanrights ... workplace/[/quote]
it does happen and is allowed I have worked for more than one outfit that does it although generally the only random test is when its been pretty obvious someone shouldn't be on sight[/quote]

Sooo the only "random" testing occurs when its obvious someone shouldnt be on site ??

AKA - reasonable cause to believe. That is not random.
soupy
Board Meister

Postby LTD » Jul 31st, 2018, 8:13 am

point is its allowed just because suncors union squashed it doesnt mean its not allowed a company I worked for was very upfront about their random drug testing

Jflem1983 likes this post.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Postby dogspoiler » Jul 31st, 2018, 8:15 am

Welfare has nothing to do with worksites. :topic:
If beer is not the answer.
You are asking the wrong question.

2 people like this post.
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 2582 posts

Postby soupy » Jul 31st, 2018, 8:17 am

LTD wrote:point is its allowed just because suncors union squashed it doesnt mean its not allowed a company I worked for was very upfront about their random drug testing

TESTING FOR DRUG AND ALCOHOL USE
The Supreme Court of Canada has determined that in most cases, mandatory testing of drug and alcohol use of any kind, constitutes discrimination as it involves a preconceived perception that a disability exists. With the exception of cases where safety or risk is a serious issue and testing may be permissible, all other testing must be tied to an impairment that can be observed while at work. In addition, the Supreme Court of Canada found that random drug testing, where the employer failed to show a problem in the workplace, was seen to be a breach of the Charter right to privacy.

Because your employer says it is allowed does not mean it is.

**You may have signed a contract with your employer giving them the rights to randomly drug test you. But it is not legal in Canada. Any company cannot randomly test an employee.
soupy
Board Meister

Postby westbankkid » Jul 31st, 2018, 8:30 am

Random drug testing SHOULD be allowed. I sure as hell don't want some DRUGGIE coming down the street at me driving a 40 ton truck. DRUGS and the workplace DON'T mix.
Anyone having to call for medical support while on drugs, should lose their welfare if they are on it.

4 people like this post.
westbankkid
Übergod

Liked in: 455 posts

Postby Even Steven » Jul 31st, 2018, 8:39 am

...And now we turn somebody who is scraping by into a homeless and hungry individual.

Question - does it improve the situation?

Verum likes this post.
Even Steven
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 2129 posts

Postby W105 » Jul 31st, 2018, 8:44 am

it doesn't Steven, unless we want to see more crime...and since welfare is taxpayer money, who else is paid by taxpayer money ??? hmmm, the entire government...so they too should have to be subjected too drug tests..

they all receive incredible retirement packages too and I'm worried when they are receiving those retirement packages that they might be drinking or using pills etc, all on the tax payer's dime..

Verum likes this post.
W105
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 3570 posts

Postby LTD » Jul 31st, 2018, 8:46 am

Even Steven wrote:...And now we turn somebody who is scraping by into a homeless and hungry individual.

Question - does it improve the situation?

taking away their fix money = more of them roaming peoples backyards to steal stuff

soupy likes this post.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Postby Sparki55 » Jul 31st, 2018, 8:47 am

bob vernon wrote:Once again, we would be attacking the victim of the crime. The crime is the importation, manufacture, and trafficking of addictive drugs. Not their use. The addict is the victim who uses drugs to cover his despair. Because the dealers and traffickers are willing to jeopardize vulnerable lives for a profit, they should be subject to capital punishment for their crime. A first offense could mean jail time, but a second offense of trafficking should mean death. I'm serious about this. Nothing less will end the trafficking.

Yea, once again we have to listen to this garbage. Don't blame the poor victim! Open up that floodgate and anyone who has been seriously affected by alcohol and/ or tobacco might as well go sue the government for allowing it to be legal. Fast food is addictive to, why don't we hold McDonalds accountable? They could pay for all the diabetes medication.

I choose to live by taking care of myself because no one cares better for me than me. I will not rely on the government to protect me from self harm. What I rely on them for is safety (police), healthcare for when I am sick (not self induced drug overdose) and an array of other services that I cannot do myself. I don't need them wrapping me up in bubble wrap to protect me from self harming myself.

I'm all in favour for testing welfare recipients. Especially if they have been on it for some time. At that point you have cleary lost the ability to provide for yourself and society will have to help you back up. Unfortunately I don't think that system will work as people will choose drugs over welfare and go steal to provide for their habit and create a worse problem.

This is a complex subject that needs some real thought, not a knee jerk reaction but please stop spewing out *bleep* like oh the poor victim who continuously takes drugs. Have some self control. Soon I'll hear that all sexual assaulters cannot help it and we need to remove all of their victims from around them so they don't have the choice to offend.

:135:

common_sense_guy likes this post.
Sparki55
Board Meister

Liked in: 564 posts

Next

Return to Bickering Room