Random drug testing for welfare recipients

The forum's Skid Road. DO NOT ENTER unless you're ready for a squabble.

Re: Random drug testing for welfare recipients

Postby savvybusinessman » Aug 1st, 2018, 12:02 pm

Sparki55 wrote:$600 per person per month multiplied by the 50,000 or so people on it plus admin fees is around 400,000,000 a year for BC. Is 400 million nothing to you?

I specifically said 'some' as in who cares if a few people use the $600 for drugs.

As you well know most people on SA use the money for necessities.
savvybusinessman
Board Meister

Liked in: 258 posts

Postby JLives » Aug 1st, 2018, 12:34 pm

savvybusinessman wrote:I specifically said 'some' as in who cares if a few people use the $600 for drugs.

As you well know most people on SA use the money for necessities.

That's the propaganda though. Many people actually believe the majority of those on social assistance are on drugs because they aren't willing to try to understand why else they wouldn't be working a regular job. So, of course, they would count every single recipient of social assistance as a drug abuser. It's a stigma not reflected in reality.

When drug testing has actually been done it is found that is doesn't work and causes many other consequences to those already marginalized. This is just kicking people when they are down. https://thinkprogress.org/what-7-states ... 6e0b4305d/
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 6486 posts

Postby Jonrox » Aug 1st, 2018, 1:22 pm

People moan and complain when the government spends money on programs they disagree with, saying things like "how can they spend money on that program when we have starving homeless people in this country?"

So the government spends money on the starving homeless people and those same people moan and complain saying things like "how can they spend money on those lazy good-for-nothings? They don't deserve anything."

JLives likes this post.
Jonrox
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 2486 posts

Postby westbankkid » Aug 1st, 2018, 10:12 pm

savvybusinessman wrote:
common_sense_guy wrote:After reading about the excess overdoses on welfare check day

These stories are always inaccurate. Social Assistance cheques are direct deposited on Tuesdays yet these news stories always talk about overdoses on Wednesdays and Thursdays and weirdly link them to SA cheque day, or "Welfare Wednesday."

And when do you normally pickup your cheque? You seem to know a lot about it.
Test them and stop their welfare if testing positive.

2 people like this post.
westbankkid
Übergod

Liked in: 491 posts

Postby Jflem1983 » Aug 1st, 2018, 10:30 pm

I have to agree. Test them early and often. Who cares if it costs more. This is not about saving money. It is about saving lives. Remember. The government will make all kinds of stupid laws regarding guns to save a life. Why not save a bunch of lives . By not giving them the money to overdose and die.

If we must coddle these parasites. Let us give them food and shelter. Clothes and a bus pass. Not one bit of money. Make em earn it . If people on welfare have time to come on here and complain they aint looking for work. Cut em off
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"

the truth likes this post.
Jflem1983
Guru

Liked in: 3274 posts

Postby kylegray38 » Aug 15th, 2018, 12:50 pm

Agreed completely.

Police should start putting people away for carrying, pan handling, etc.

Everyone knows and sees the issue. We are paying the price in the community for these people to stick around, stick them in a cell or in a hospital. Either way someone is paying the price and it shouldn't effect daily lives, or tourism. These problems are ridiculous and out of control in British Columbia, especially Kelowna.

I see more homeless people here, drug users blatenly using, etc then I ever have in every major city or place in my life combined. Something needs to be done soon before business have to close their doors, and the customers stop coming.....

westbankkid likes this post.
kylegray38

Liked in: 1 post

Postby alanjh595 » Aug 15th, 2018, 1:47 pm

If something isn't done, it won't be long before our little downtown will become as bad as downtown Vancouver. (Mt Pleasant and E. Hastings St.) I was there when it happened, I watched it happen on a day to day basis. That is one of the major contributing factors that I chose to move away to Kelowna.
Now, Kelowna is showing the same signs that I witnessed in Vancouver.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

2 people like this post.
alanjh595
Guru

Liked in: 4747 posts

Postby savvybusinessman » Aug 15th, 2018, 2:31 pm

westbankkid wrote:And when do you normally pickup your cheque? You seem to know a lot about it.

Googling and talking to people doesn't take much effort.

kylegray38 wrote:I see more homeless people here, drug users blatenly using, etc then I ever have in every major city or place in my life combined. Something needs to be done soon before business have to close their doors, and the customers stop coming.....

How do you know these people are collecting Social Assistance?
savvybusinessman
Board Meister

Postby alanjh595 » Aug 15th, 2018, 3:00 pm

savvybusinessman wrote:How do you know these people are collecting Social Assistance?

How do you know they are not? if they aren't on welfare, how do they get the money to support their drug habit ?
Why is it that on Welfare day and for 3 days after, there is a higher spike in ODs ?

What professional insight do you have to support your supposition, when it is a well know fact that the police, ambulance, and fire departments prepare for Mardi Gras at the last week of of every month, and have done so for many years in the past ?

It is common knowledge, based upon many years of statistics and records.

westbankkid likes this post.
alanjh595
Guru

Postby savvybusinessman » Aug 15th, 2018, 4:15 pm

^The only stats I've seen related to spikes of ODs are general numbers showing more happen around the end of every month. Specious reasoning is used to link these ODs specifically to "Welfare Wednesday" instead of accounting for all the employees who are also paid a sum of money around the end of each month.

If there are stats available that represent the working population AND people collecting SA and somehow prove that working people aren't contributing to these OD spikes then please show me. Otherwise the current stats are baloney and need to stop being used for sensationalist headlines to feed the negative stereotypes people have of the unemployed.
savvybusinessman
Board Meister

Postby the truth » Aug 15th, 2018, 4:22 pm

savvybusinessman wrote:^The only stats I've seen related to spikes of ODs are general numbers showing more happen around the end of every month. Specious reasoning is used to link these ODs specifically to "Welfare Wednesday" instead of accounting for all the employees who are also paid a sum of money around the end of each month.

If there are stats available that represent the working population AND people collecting SA and somehow prove that working people aren't contributing to these OD spikes then please show me. Otherwise the current stats are baloney and need to stop being used for sensationalist headlines to feed the negative stereotypes people have of the unemployed.

the reason its used is because its a ---fact--- https://globalnews.ca/news/3411045/apri ... c-history/ i guess this story is a lie--- :135: ok then whatever you say
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
the truth
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 7722 posts

Postby westbankkid » Aug 15th, 2018, 4:44 pm

Get a friggin job. There is no excuse to be unemployed in the okanagan. You don't want to work, NO WELFARE. simple as that. I and most taxpayers are sick of paying for these WELFARE BUMS.

the truth likes this post.
westbankkid
Übergod

Liked in: 491 posts

Postby alanjh595 » Aug 15th, 2018, 4:59 pm

savvybusinessman wrote:^The only stats I've seen related to spikes of ODs are general numbers showing more happen around the end of every month. Specious reasoning is used to link these ODs specifically to "Welfare Wednesday" instead of accounting for all the employees who are also paid a sum of money around the end of each month.

Welfare comes out on the last Wednesday of every month, OD' spikes happen on the last Thursday of every month. This is common knowledge, so much so that there are more police, ambulances, and fire rescuers scheduled for these times.

If there are stats available that represent the working population AND people collecting SA and somehow prove that working people aren't contributing to these OD spikes then please show me.
How about you show the rest of us that we are wrong. You are not worthy of proving anything to.
Otherwise the current stats are baloney and need to stop being used for sensationalist headlines to feed the negative stereotypes people have of the unemployed.
The unemployed have no relevance to the statistics, they get their pay every 2 weeks, and there is not data to show that ODs spike on those days.
alanjh595
Guru

Postby savvybusinessman » Aug 15th, 2018, 5:06 pm

alanjh595 wrote:[Welfare comes out on the last Wednesday of every month, OD' spikes happen on the last Thursday of every month. This is common knowledge, so much so that there are more police, ambulances, and fire rescuers scheduled for these times.

Uh no, your information is dead wrong. Check this month for example - the cheque issue date is the 22nd (21st for direct deposit) not the last Wednesday of the month which would be the 29th.

Just from quickly checking October is another month where cheques are issued on the 24th (23rd for direct deposit) and not the last Wednesday which would be the 31st. Other months follow the same pattern.

alanjh595 wrote:The unemployed have no relevance to the statistics, they get their pay every 2 weeks, and there is not data to show that ODs spike on those days.

I think you mean the employed, and why exactly are they exempt from OD discussions? Probably because it's too hard to keep track of when working people are paid and it's much easier to blame all the ODs on those claiming SA so people can whine about welfare bums spending their tax dollars on drugs.

normaM likes this post.
savvybusinessman
Board Meister

Postby Poindexter » Aug 15th, 2018, 5:27 pm

Welfare abuse isn't just an abuse of system, it's an abuse of some of those receiving the cheque. The vast majority would like nothing more than to be productive citizens but due to situations out of their control it hasn't worked out that way. Then there are the people we are talking about on this thread. They get their food from the food bank, coffee in the morning from church and if their rent isn't subsidized by welfare they live at the hostile. That leaves the entire cheque to get wasted. Then it's withdrawls 1 or 2 weeks after they've received the welfare cheque and a repeat. It's a trap many can't get out of and something like drug testing where they get a choice of a program to help them or loss of support. Otherwise the government, and us by association, become the enablers in a life wasted.

I know many will think I'm using the stereotype to bash welfare but I not, this would not apply to all recipients, just those who are able bodied and obvious drug and alchohol abusers. Almost all addicts spend time in the hospital at one time or another so the information is available to know who needs this kind of help to get out of the cycle of self abusive.
Poindexter
Guru

Liked in: 4753 posts

PreviousNext

Return to Bickering Room