3d printed guns

The forum's Skid Road. DO NOT ENTER unless you're ready for a squabble.

Re: 3d printed guns

Postby JLives » Aug 1st, 2018, 3:55 pm

alanjh595 wrote:They are probably only good for one, small caliber shot. There would be no rifling in the barrel, so only good for 5-10 feet.

For now. This technology and the laws regarding it are in their infancy.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."

Jflem1983 likes this post.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 5974 posts

Postby Fancy » Aug 1st, 2018, 3:58 pm

Jflem1983 wrote:Completely off topic. Thank u for your input

This is about 3d printed guns. Not your imagined victims

You brought up drug dealers - innocent victims are not imagined. Having easier access to these guns puts more innocent people at risk.
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Liked in: 6699 posts

Postby Verum » Aug 1st, 2018, 5:51 pm

3D printers do make it easier to make a rather poor quality and relatively useless gun, but in fairness, someone with a lathe can probably do basically the same anyway, and theirs will probably be of better quality and longevity. Hell, a hacksaw is all you really need to turn a pipe and a few other bits and pieces into a crude, single use shotgun.

It is trivial to get 3D gun plans online and no amount of bans will stop that. Anyone thinking otherwise is just not tech savvy. The only reason that criminals aren't doing this is because the resulting guns are terrible. In time, with different materials and maybe even the increasing popularity of CNC milling machines, we will see guns of comparable quality to those sold in stores.

Also, I expect to see similar automated systems coming down the pipeline for food, chemistry (drugs), agriculture, etc. And I suspect that there will be little that regulation will be able to do to stop them since, as with 3D printers, they largely use widely available generic components.

Since Canadian law tightly restricts gun possession, I don't really worry that this will mean a massive increase in gun possession, since most Canadians are smart enough to follow the law and are not interested in carrying weapons. The increased availability for criminals is somewhat problematic, but in fairness, guns are already trivially available to basically all significant criminals.
"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Explains why so few people reply to me, and why I might not reply

Jflem1983 likes this post.
Verum
Übergod

Liked in: 1350 posts

Postby crookedmember » Aug 1st, 2018, 8:17 pm

In the US, the most popular use for handguns is suicide; killing family members and lovers comes in second.

Those poor quality plastic guns will work just fine on their usual missions.

2 people like this post.
crookedmember
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 172 posts

Postby Jflem1983 » Aug 1st, 2018, 8:32 pm

I guess we cant talk about any firearms at all without the crazies showing up with stats and opinions.

To me this technology appears to be a game changer.
Its not going to create all plastic guns. Not yet anyways.
I think it will make receivers. Possible working magazines as well. Stocks probably too. I do not think they will make barrels from polymer .

For what its worth. There are many hundreds of polymer frame pistols on the market today. Some of these may even be made on huge 3d printers i am not sure. Glock guns are all plastic junk. Lots of people like them though
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Jflem1983
Guru

Liked in: 3268 posts

Postby crookedmember » Aug 2nd, 2018, 6:04 am

It's become pretty obvious that the real crazies are the gun nuts.

2 people like this post.
crookedmember
Generalissimo Postalot

Postby Ka-El » Aug 2nd, 2018, 6:39 am

Fancy wrote: I think innocent people getting caught in the cross fire IS a big deal. Maybe a little more thought should go into why 3d printed guns aren't a great idea.

You’re absolutely correct Fancy and right on topic. More guns in the hands of more people without any necessary qualifications or background checks is a huge deal. This is ultimately going to be a game changer, and more (many more) innocent people are going to be hurt and even killed. Dangerous times we live in when we have clowns who think this is “cool” and have absolutely no interest in putting any more thought into the issue.

Even the NRA wants to take a closer look at this, under the ruse of public safety of course. But most people can easily figure out it is not a concern for public safety that has the NRA calling for more thought but the threat to gun sales. If the NRA had any concern for public safety and keeping guns out of the hands of those who present an increased threat to ordinary people, they would not be opposed to enhanced background checks. If we’re going to allow access to undetectable weapons for mentally deranged psychotics, populist extremists and militants, and home-grown terrorists, then the NRA wants to make damn sure it is only their members who are selling them. They do not discriminate.
The ability to suspend judgment and change your mind when warranted is a distinguishing feature of critical thought
– apparently not recognizable to those who don’t have the ability.

"I don't know who dimples is, I don't know what this means"

2 people like this post.
Ka-El
Guru

Liked in: 5709 posts

Postby crookedmember » Aug 2nd, 2018, 7:33 am

It was the Trump administration that approved 3D guns. And the NRA?

The National Rifle Association has not been very vocal on the issue of printable guns, though last week it appeared to issue support through spokesperson Dana Loesch.

NRATV tweeted a video of Loesch mocking Democrats for trying to restrict the availability of printable guns.

“To try to restrict this is as unenforceable as trying to institute bans on magazine capacity,” Loesch said. “You just need simple shop skills to be able to do it in your garage.”
crookedmember
Generalissimo Postalot

Postby Jflem1983 » Aug 6th, 2018, 6:03 am

NRA is fast coming useless. The guy who did the 3d printed guns. Won in court and invented it. For less than a million dollars. Second ammendment world wide. government has no power to stop people from self defense.

Im sure statists everywhere are freaking out.

MOLON LABE it means something.

I will keep my NRA membership as its already paid for. However look what this guy did for a million. Amazing.

Support freedom . Government is useless. Be your own person.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Jflem1983
Guru

Liked in: 3268 posts

Postby Fancy » Aug 13th, 2018, 11:43 am

But TSA officials say 3D-printed guns and firearm components have been in circulation for years and have been found on passengers trying to board commercial flights.

Since August 2016, the TSA has detected two 3D-printed guns and two 3D-printed firearm components, all of which were voluntarily abandoned by the passengers who packed them in their carry-on bags, TSA spokesperson Michael Bilello said.

The most recent component was discovered in January at McCarran International Airport in Las Vegas.

https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2018 ... eners.html
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Liked in: 6699 posts

Previous

Return to Bickering Room