BC Liberals fail to impress

The forum's Skid Road. DO NOT ENTER unless you're ready for a squabble.

Re: BC Liberals fail to impress

Postby flamingfingers » Aug 14th, 2018, 7:29 pm

Why can't the current BC Liberal supporters on this forum defend the actions of the BC Liberal government over their past 16 years of error? Did they actually AGREE to and VOTE for the BC Liberals knowing full well the corruption and malfeasance that was going on?

I suspect they were ideologically brainwashed into submission and ignored their intellect. But perhaps I misjudged their intelligence.......
Overpopulation threatens all life on earth.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 6644 posts

Postby mikest2 » Aug 14th, 2018, 7:37 pm

flamingfingers wrote:Why can't the current BC Liberal supporters on this forum defend the actions of the BC Liberal government over their past 16 years of error? Did they actually AGREE to and VOTE for the BC Liberals knowing full well the corruption and malfeasance that was going on?

I suspect they were ideologically brainwashed into submission and ignored their intellect. But perhaps I misjudged their intelligence.......

Unfortunately, it was still a much better choice than Horgan's heroes
Once I thought I was wrong.....but I was mistaken...

2 people like this post.
mikest2
Übergod

Liked in: 1685 posts

Postby flamingfingers » Aug 14th, 2018, 7:40 pm

Why? Defend the BC Liberals scandals please? Seems no other BC Liberal supporters will.

Omnitheo likes this post.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Postby Gone_Fishin » Aug 14th, 2018, 7:41 pm

flamingfingers wrote:Why can't the current BC Liberal supporters on this forum defend the actions of the BC Liberal government over their past 16 years of error? Did they actually AGREE to and VOTE for the BC Liberals knowing full well the corruption and malfeasance that was going on?

I voted against the NDP because of their massive corruption and malfeasance. Two NDP premiers resigned in utter disgrace.

And because the economy was dead last in Canada under the NDP, which is where it is headed again under the HorganNDP.
Ecclesiastes 10:2 "A wise man’s heart inclines him to the right, but a fool’s heart to the left."
Get a high school drama teacher to run a country, and what do you get? High school drama.

2 people like this post.
Gone_Fishin
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 4767 posts

Postby Urbane » Aug 14th, 2018, 7:44 pm

How many times does someone like myself have to say "BC Liberals fail to impress but they're still better than the NDP"? Seriously, how many times before you acknowledge it? The Liberals did a lot of things that I didn't like and most of those things are being repeated by the present government. Example: Lack of transparency. We can't find out how much the legal bills are for the Gordon Wilson defamation suit because Eby says that the Liberals weren't transparent about things like that so the present government won't be either. Disgusting!

The Liberals also did many things right. Examples: KGH was expanded with a new cardiac wing that will make life so much easier for interior heart patients. Vernon Jubilee and Royal Jubilee were also expanded and upgraded. And how about the new medical schools in our province? Those were great moves by the Liberals. And what about the new universities like UBC Okanagan? Terrific! And of course there's our strong economy which led the country during the latter years of Liberal rule. Your default position is to put a negative spin on everything that the Liberals did using words like deceit and corruption while ignoring exactly those things in Horgan. Funny how that works, eh?
"Spectemur agendo"

6 people like this post.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 12644 posts

Postby flamingfingers » Aug 14th, 2018, 8:03 pm

BC Liberal supporters have yet to defend any of the scandalous actions of the previous government. Do they realize they cannot defend the indefensible?

Seven things you need to know about the AdvantageBC tax scandal.
SHARESHARE
Recently the New York Times shed light on a secretive program run by the BC Liberal government that has funnelled more than $140 million in BC taxpayer funds to corporations since 2008.
Until 2001, this program cost BC taxpayers just $2 million a year. It was expanded by the BC Liberals in 2004, 2008 and 2014 and now offers big tax breaks to international companies doing business in BC.

How big? Really big.

It provides provincial tax breaks of 100 per cent on certain business activities for the first two years, with the exemption dropping to 25 per cent over five years.

On Friday, May 5, a BC Court of Appeals ruling revealed that TD Bank received a $2.8 million tax refund in 2012 through their participation in the program. It also revealed that millions of your tax dollars could be subsidizing big banks that participate in the program, instead of building schools and housing, or funding the services we need.

Omnitheo likes this post.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Postby mikest2 » Aug 14th, 2018, 8:10 pm

flamingfingers wrote:BC Liberal supporters have yet to defend any of the scandalous actions of the previous government. Do they realize they cannot defend the indefensible?

Seven things you need to know about the AdvantageBC tax scandal.
SHARESHARE
Recently the New York Times shed light on a secretive program run by the BC Liberal government that has funnelled more than $140 million in BC taxpayer funds to corporations since 2008.
Until 2001, this program cost BC taxpayers just $2 million a year. It was expanded by the BC Liberals in 2004, 2008 and 2014 and now offers big tax breaks to international companies doing business in BC.

How big? Really big.

It provides provincial tax breaks of 100 per cent on certain business activities for the first two years, with the exemption dropping to 25 per cent over five years.

On Friday, May 5, a BC Court of Appeals ruling revealed that TD Bank received a $2.8 million tax refund in 2012 through their participation in the program. It also revealed that millions of your tax dollars could be subsidizing big banks that participate in the program, instead of building schools and housing, or funding the services we need.

I don't have to defend or deflect because the Liberals are still the lesser of evils.

Gone_Fishin likes this post.
mikest2
Übergod

Postby mikest2 » Aug 14th, 2018, 8:12 pm

flamingfingers wrote:Why? Defend the BC Liberals scandals please? Seems no other BC Liberal supporters will.

I don't have to defend or deflect because the Liberals are still the lesser of evils.

3 people like this post.
mikest2
Übergod

Postby Omnitheo » Aug 14th, 2018, 8:16 pm

In other words you still have no defence.

Posters here have literally no reason other than that they blindly vote for whatever party they feel is right wing regardless of any policy or understanding of policy. Left bad, right good. The world is black and white.

If only the world were as simple as the minds of the people who believe it to be.
"The Charter of Rights and Freedoms protects all Canadians, every one of us, even when it is uncomfortable."
- Justin Trudeau

2 people like this post.
Omnitheo
Guru

Liked in: 4445 posts

Postby seewood » Aug 14th, 2018, 8:32 pm

flamingfingers wrote:BC Liberal supporters have yet to defend any of the scandalous actions of the previous government. Do they realize they cannot defend the indefensible?

You are correct. For example In my case I really did not follow the BC rail sale but from what I gleened from the news cycle, the sale did not seem right. As it ended up, CN was a deplorable owner of BC rail. Managed to kill a few workers when the train was coming down into Lillooet using locomotives from the prairies, and quite a number of de-railments... Friends in the business did not want anything to do with the company( CN) and moved on.
The LIberal's were not perfect and I suspect when they get back into running this province, hopefully sooner than later, they will again make some blunders.
However, as many here have mentioned, not once have the NDP supporters here stated the NDP is anything less than perfect.
This, when in fact BC is rapidly on its way to the embarrassing position of becoming a "have-not" province.
Most of this lot cannot run a two hole outhouse and that starts right at the top.
That analogy of Horgan in one courtroom arguing to try and regulate the amount of bitumen through the pipeline and the next courtroom arguing for Notley not to turn off the taps. Typical idiocy.
I am not wealthy but I am rich

3 people like this post.
seewood
Übergod

Liked in: 1436 posts

Postby burnedatstake » Aug 14th, 2018, 8:51 pm

seewood wrote:You are correct. For example In my case I really did not follow the BC rail sale but from what I gleened from the news cycle, the sale did not seem right. As it ended up, CN was a deplorable owner of BC rail. Managed to kill a few workers when the train was coming down into Lillooet using locomotives from the prairies, and quite a number of de-railments... Friends in the business did not want anything to do with the company( CN) and moved on.
The LIberal's were not perfect and I suspect when they get back into running this province, hopefully sooner than later, they will again make some blunders.
However, as many here have mentioned, not once have the NDP supporters here stated the NDP is anything less than perfect.
This, when in fact BC is rapidly on its way to the embarrassing position of becoming a "have-not" province.
Most of this lot cannot run a two hole outhouse and that starts right at the top.
That analogy of Horgan in one courtroom arguing to try and regulate the amount of bitumen through the pipeline and the next courtroom arguing for Notley not to turn off the taps. Typical idiocy.

there you have it folks! the sky will eventually fall routine! how predictable.......
the capitalist idea of liberty is that one persons right to profit can be greater than another persons right to live.
burnedatstake
Übergod

Liked in: 446 posts

Postby Urbane » Aug 14th, 2018, 9:23 pm

Omnitheo wrote:In other words you still have no defence.

Posters here have literally no reason other than that they blindly vote for whatever party they feel is right wing regardless of any policy or understanding of policy. Left bad, right good. The world is black and white.

If only the world were as simple as the minds of the people who believe it to be.
Surely you jest OR you're talking about NDP supporters on here who support the broken promises, the defaming of Gordon Wilson, the seriously flawed new taxes, and the general ineptitude of their party. Time and time again those who voted Liberal have taken the Liberals to task for one thing or another and we've said "BC Liberals fail to impress but they're still a lot better than the NDP."
"Spectemur agendo"

2 people like this post.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Postby burnedatstake » Aug 14th, 2018, 9:56 pm

there you have it folks. right on cue. the "anything but the ndp" routine.
the capitalist idea of liberty is that one persons right to profit can be greater than another persons right to live.
burnedatstake
Übergod

Liked in: 446 posts

Postby Urbane » Aug 14th, 2018, 10:02 pm

burnedatstake wrote:there you have it folks. right on cue. the "anything but the ndp" routine.
LOL . . . says the poster who favours manipulating the system so that anyone but the Liberals will be elected!
[icon_lol2.gif]
Again, the Liberals fail to impress but they're still a lot better than the NDP.
"Spectemur agendo"

Gone_Fishin likes this post.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Postby Smurf » Aug 15th, 2018, 6:49 am

flamingfingers wrote:

Why? Defend the BC Liberals scandals please? Seems no other BC Liberal supporters will.

Omnitheo wrote:
In other words you still have no defence.

Do you people and others have problems reading, comprehending, or both and more. No one on here is trying or interested in trying to defend the mistakes the Liberals made. As we have said many times "The Liberals made mistakes". We understand that. We disagree with that. We do not defend that. In fact if you go back over the years you will find that most if not all of us never defended those actions at the time. We acknowledged and condemned them.

However we also understand that they are not nearly as bad at governing as the NDP therefore the Liberals are still our choice when the alternative is the NDP. As for myself I have no allegiance to any party or left or right. I look for what is best for me and the people of BC. Looking at it from that point of view the NDP is dead last by a long shot. We have two choices, one the liberals is bad, the other the NDP is an absolutely terrible disaster which makes my decision very easy. As I have said many times if there was a better alternative than the Liberals I would vote for them immediately.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.

3 people like this post.
Smurf
Guru

Liked in: 6400 posts

PreviousNext

Return to Bickering Room