Free speech only for left wingers

The forum's Skid Road. DO NOT ENTER unless you're ready for a squabble.

Free speech only for left wingers

Postby the truth » Aug 6th, 2018, 3:40 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... alex-jones looks like only the left is going to be able to spread hate and lies , so much for freedom of speech,unless you are a lying left winger like they all are

even if you do not like infowars should people not be concerned that cnn is campaigning to have news outlets shut down info wars https://www.infowars.com/cnn-is-directl ... -infowars/
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell

3 people like this post.
the truth
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 7616 posts

Re: Free speech only for left wingers

Postby Glacier » Aug 6th, 2018, 4:24 pm

First they came for the conspiracy theorists, but I said nothing because I'm not a conspiracy theorist...

“Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die”

2 people like this post.
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Liked in: 12274 posts

Postby Verum » Aug 6th, 2018, 5:00 pm

You guys do understand that the likes of Facebook, Youtube, etc. get to decide what they publish? It's their own servers. If they decided tomorrow to take down my videos and block my accounts, that would be their choice as businesses. This is not a free speech issue as the removed content can be posted elsewhere, this is businesses taking action in their own long term financial interests. Until you start complaining that Fox News won't broadcast the videos I send them, until you start complaining that Simon & Schuster won't publish the manuscripts I send them, and until you complain that Disney won't make the film script I send them, then you have no reasonable grounds to complain about what content FB, Youtube, etc. decide to not publish. Remember that it costs Youtube each and every time someone watches an Alex Jones video. They are paying for it. And as a result, they are entitled to stop paying for it and remove it.

This would only be a free speech issue if these were the only channels available for this content to get out there, and they certainly are not. Youtube isn't the only way to put a video up online, and Facebook isn't the only way to display mixed content.

Free speech is for everyone, but Youtube isn't public domain, so stop behaving as if they owe you something.

ETA: Youtube have been accused of censorship for a long time, and especially since they started demonetising certain content. What most seem to forget is that they did so as much for LGBT+ sympathetic content as for PewDiePie or Alex Jones. Basically, if your content was contentious, they were usually quite quick to demonetise. Any such content they aren't making any real money off of, and as such it is almost certainly costing them money. They leave up most of it, but they are under no obligation to do so.

Omnitheo likes this post.
Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1592 posts

Postby my5cents » Aug 6th, 2018, 7:58 pm

So, you really think your free speech protest time should be spent supporting Alex Jones right to spread his drivel ?

Really ?

What next, a protest against the loss of free speech to deny the holocaust ?
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
my5cents
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1631 posts

Postby Omnitheo » Aug 6th, 2018, 9:12 pm

How is this a free speech thing?

Go into White Spot and start yelling and method acting about conspiracy theories. Scream about how dead children is a hoax. Then when staff ask you to leave, tell them “I’m practicing free speech”.

In what world could you claim that this is about free speech? In order to post a video on YouTube (a private company) you agree to their terms and conditions. Alex Jones violated those terms repeatedly, and thus his videos have been taken down.

That’s it. That’s all there is to it.

5 people like this post.
Omnitheo
Guru

Liked in: 4804 posts

Postby The Green Barbarian » Aug 6th, 2018, 9:35 pm

All evidence points to the snollygoster scown Justin Trudeau being unfit to run this country. The LIEberal platform is all foofrah. Don't be fooled by the LIEberal decepticons. October 2019 can't come fast enough.

the truth likes this post.
The Green Barbarian
Admiral HMS Castanet

Liked in: 22523 posts

Postby Poindexter » Aug 7th, 2018, 7:12 am

Oh gee, yet another page where the right displays their victim mentality.

Some reading for conservatives, it's good news, you're not a victim, you're simply angry and scared.

To reiterate the underlying dynamics of this problem, I explained that many people adopt the victim role, albeit unintentionally, because they are afraid of their anger, deny its existence in themselves, project it onto other people, and anticipate aggression or harm from them. With this expectation and a high sensitivity to anger in others, they may even distort other people’s facial expressions, imagining that they have malicious intentions. The anger that they would have experienced in response to frustration or stress is transformed into fear and distrust of others and into feelings of being hurt or wounded.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.psychol ... game%3famp

There, feel better now? :D

Omnitheo likes this post.
Poindexter
Guru

Liked in: 4688 posts

Postby Jonrox » Aug 7th, 2018, 8:02 am

Alex Jones' free speech rights are not being violated with these actions. It's a common misconception by people who don't understand what rights are guaranteed by the Constitution.

The right to free speech basically just means the government isn't going to restrict speech or throw you in jail for what you say. It doesn't apply to private individuals or companies.

The First Amendment's constitutional right of free speech, which is applicable to state and local governments under the incorporation doctrine, only prevents government restrictions on speech, not restrictions imposed by private individuals or businesses unless they are acting on behalf of the government.

He's been censored by these companies but his rights aren't being violated. I don't agree with what Alex Jones says, but I also don't agree with the censorship he's facing. I think it's a very slippery slope.
Jonrox
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 2447 posts

Postby The Green Barbarian » Aug 7th, 2018, 8:21 am

Poindexter wrote:Oh gee, yet another page where the right displays their victim mentality.

Some reading for conservatives, it's good news, you're not a victim, you're simply angry and scared.

Some reading for alt-left echo chamber dwellers:

A far left mob harassed conservative commentator Candace Owens while she was eating breakfast at a Philadelphia coffee shop with Charlie Kirk.

The conservative activists with the group Turning Point USA, which was founded by Kirk, found themselves the target of ANTIFA protests Monday morning as they attempted to eat breakfast.

The thugs, some of whom had their faces covered, threw unidentified items at the two and even dumped drinks on them. One unhinged woman could be heard shrieking “Shame on You!” over and over again in video footage captured from the scene.

“This is the face of the Democrats,” Kirk tweeted. “Conservatives aren’t safe – @RepMaxineWaters called for this.”
Protesters used megaphones and screamed in the faces of the Trump supporters who have become the face of young conservatives as they’ve been organizing conservative student activists with Turning Point USA.
All evidence points to the snollygoster scown Justin Trudeau being unfit to run this country. The LIEberal platform is all foofrah. Don't be fooled by the LIEberal decepticons. October 2019 can't come fast enough.
The Green Barbarian
Admiral HMS Castanet

Postby the truth » Aug 7th, 2018, 8:23 am

Omnitheo wrote:How is this a free speech thing?

Go into White Spot and start yelling and method acting about conspiracy theories. Scream about how dead children is a hoax. Then when staff ask you to leave, tell them “I’m practicing free speech”.

In what world could you claim that this is about free speech? In order to post a video on YouTube (a private company) you agree to their terms and conditions. Alex Jones violated those terms repeatedly, and thus his videos have been taken down.

That’s it. That’s all there is to it.

https://www.bizpacreview.com/2018/08/06 ... acy-661425 so much for just wanting too eat in peace to then, you left wingers make me want to puke
Last edited by the truth on Aug 7th, 2018, 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell

csm likes this post.
the truth
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 7616 posts

Postby Verum » Aug 7th, 2018, 8:28 am

The Green Barbarian wrote:
Poindexter wrote:Oh gee, yet another page where the right displays their victim mentality.

Some reading for alt-left echo chamber dwellers:

A far left mob harassed conservative commentator Candace Owens while she was eating breakfast at a Philadelphia coffee shop with Charlie Kirk.

The conservative activists with the group Turning Point USA, which was founded by Kirk, found themselves the target of ANTIFA protests Monday morning as they attempted to eat breakfast.

The thugs, some of whom had their faces covered, threw unidentified items at the two and even dumped drinks on them. One unhinged woman could be heard shrieking “Shame on You!” over and over again in video footage captured from the scene.

“This is the face of the Democrats,” Kirk tweeted. “Conservatives aren’t safe – @RepMaxineWaters called for this.”
Protesters used megaphones and screamed in the faces of the Trump supporters who have become the face of young conservatives as they’ve been organizing conservative student activists with Turning Point USA.

This is simple whataboutery. Absolutely nobody's freedom of speech was being hindered. Typical deflection tactic.

5 people like this post.
Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1592 posts

Postby Jmfva » Aug 7th, 2018, 8:40 am

4 people like this post.
Jmfva
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 1080 posts

Postby Jflem1983 » Aug 7th, 2018, 8:48 am

Support Free Speech. This is the most orwellian thing ever to happen.
1984 is 2018.

Im no fan of infowars. He has made some wild claims.

He should still be allowed to say anything.

Now the FB and all the other ones. Google etc. You tube. Those are private networks. They can limit whatever they want.

I quit FB the night Trump won. I saw the writing on the wall. I had been making money on FB up to that point.

Free speech is being restricted. Conservatives are being shut off social media. Im ok with that. Let the left think everyone thinks like they do.

So in short. this is a disgusting state of affairs.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Jflem1983
Guru

Liked in: 3272 posts

Postby my5cents » Aug 7th, 2018, 8:55 am

Verum wrote:This is simple whataboutery. Absolutely nobody's freedom of speech was being hindered. Typical deflection tactic.

I've never heard the term "whataboutery", but I love it. Every year new words are added to the English language, and whataboutery gets my vote.

Sums it up very well.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
my5cents
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1631 posts

Postby The Green Barbarian » Aug 7th, 2018, 10:37 am

Verum wrote:This is simple whataboutery. Absolutely nobody's freedom of speech was being hindered. Typical deflection tactic.

and your response is typical apologist nonsense for the commie Antifa scumbags. Shame on you.

Merry likes this post.
The Green Barbarian
Admiral HMS Castanet

Next

Return to Bickering Room