Free speech only for left wingers

The forum's Skid Road. DO NOT ENTER unless you're ready for a squabble.

Re: Free speech only for left wingers

Postby fvkasm2x » Aug 19th, 2018, 8:25 am

There's really 2 simple truths regarding this topic and I don't know how there is a debate.

1. Alex Jones is a despicable excuse for a human being. He's certifiable and anyone who listens to him needs their head examined. The guy is a pig and needs mental help. I hate pretty much every thing about him, but he is free to say it.

2. There is most definitely a concern regarding free speech going on today and the left is most decidedly clamping down, telling everyone what people should say, think and do. I've said it before and I'll say it again. I attack the left and the right on the internet and only the left calls me names (usually the original Nazi insult), tells me how bad I am as a human (just for disagreeing with them) and conservative (I'm not) and tries to shut me up.

Glacier wrote:I don't see evidence of right wingers being the only ones censored. In addition, those solidly on the right like Thomas Sowell or Ben Shapiro do not get their content taken down. More centrists on the right do like Alex Jones and even centre left types like "the amazing atheist" have been banned from social media. It's not about what your views are, but how you articulate them that gets you banned. At least, that's how it looks to me.

Don't be an a-hole, and you won't be banned.

Yes, but then you look at situations like Sarah Jeong being a racist pig against white people and she gets a cushy media gig at NY Times. Then there are articles plastered everywhere how you can't be racist against white people.

Then you get Candace Owens substituting the word "Black" in the exact same tweets as Sarah did about whites and she is banned.

Hypocrisy at it's finest. Jeong's an a-hole to white people and the media backs her, because she's a liberal insulting white people. That's not ok.

2 people like this post.
fvkasm2x
Guru

Liked in: 1463 posts

Postby Omnitheo » Aug 19th, 2018, 9:03 am

White people suck anyways.
"The Charter of Rights and Freedoms protects all Canadians, every one of us, even when it is uncomfortable."
- Justin Trudeau

4 people like this post.
Omnitheo
Guru

Liked in: 4446 posts

Postby fvkasm2x » Aug 19th, 2018, 11:43 am

Omnitheo wrote:White people suck anyways.

All people suck. No need to split races

6 people like this post.
fvkasm2x
Guru

Postby Ka-El » Aug 19th, 2018, 12:09 pm

fvkasm2x wrote: I attack the left and the right on the internet and only the left calls me names (usually the original Nazi insult), tells me how bad I am as a human (just for disagreeing with them) and conservative (I'm not) and tries to shut me up.

I challenge someone's extreme left-wing views and I get called a right-wing corporatist. I challenge someone's alt-right nonsense and suddenly I'm a partisan leftist - often by folk who have previously "liked" many of my posts that have supported their own point of view on multiple issues. I have to assume they either don't know what the word partisan means, or they're just trolling. I don't care much anymore. As I've said elsewhere, if I’m going to get mislabeled by either group, I’m quite comfortable being mistaken as belonging to the side research has shown to be collectively more intelligent than the other.
“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent; it is the one most adaptable to change.” — Charles Darwin

3 people like this post.
Ka-El
Guru

Liked in: 6043 posts

Postby Hurtlander » Aug 19th, 2018, 12:15 pm

Ka-El wrote:

I challenge someone's extreme left-wing views and I get called a right-wing corporatist. I challenge someone's alt-right nonsense and suddenly I'm a partisan leftist - often by folk who have previously "liked" many of my posts that have supported their own point of view on multiple issues. I have to assume they either don't know what the word partisan means, or they're just trolling. I don't care much anymore. As I've said elsewhere, if I’m going to get mislabeled by either group, I’m quite comfortable being mistaken as belonging to the side research has shown to be collectively more intelligent than the other.[/quote]

^^^ 10/10
Hurtlander
Guru

Liked in: 4818 posts

Postby the truth » Aug 19th, 2018, 1:19 pm

^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
the truth comes out , and the people who support you in the likes says it all ,thank you and your supporters for showing your hate colors
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell

Jflem1983 likes this post.
the truth
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 6767 posts

Postby fvkasm2x » Aug 19th, 2018, 1:58 pm

Ka-El wrote:As I've said elsewhere, if I’m going to get mislabeled by either group, I’m quite comfortable being mistaken as belonging to the side research has shown to be collectively more intelligent than the other.

Sorry, I had to "unlike" your comment. I re-read it and saw this part.

I'm not going to refute any studies I haven't read, and I'd probably assume they're accurate since most brain dead hillbilly's in the sticks don't go to college and are all Republican.

However, I will argue that the comment is subjective.

Would you rather be lumped in with:

A well read college student that misquotes Marx, was born a male but considers himself gender fluid and pansexual, lives at home still at the age of 26 and calls you a fascist pig if you disagree with him

or

A 23 year old high school graduate who can't understand if you mean "mark on the paper" or "Mark down at the pigly wigly", was born male and married his high school sweetheart, has worked as a farmer his whole life and uses "Sir" and "Ma'am" still when talking to strangers?

Point is... not all educated liberals are good people/sane/intelligent/useful and not all uneducated hillbilly's are racist idiots.
fvkasm2x
Guru

Postby savvybusinessman » Aug 19th, 2018, 2:53 pm

fvkasm2x wrote:not all uneducated hillbilly's are racist idiots.

I disagree.

kevingerry78 likes this post.
savvybusinessman
Board Meister

Liked in: 258 posts

Postby Glacier » Aug 19th, 2018, 3:04 pm

fvkasm2x wrote:Yes, but then you look at situations like Sarah Jeong being a racist pig against white people and she gets a cushy media gig at NY Times. Then there are articles plastered everywhere how you can't be racist against white people.

Then you get Candace Owens substituting the word "Black" in the exact same tweets as Sarah did about whites and she is banned.

Hypocrisy at it's finest. Jeong's an a-hole to white people and the media backs her, because she's a liberal insulting white people. That's not ok.

I would say that I should take back my comment about not being an a-hole being the get of jail card. You can be a jerk and a racist and not get banned in terms of social justice issues because it's seen as far worse to disparage brown people than white people. This definitely shows a bias, but even then you can go too far and get fired by CNN for disparaging Trump. That has happened.

The thing is, it's impossible to have a completely unbiased censorship world. The only truly neutral solution is the to have no censorship whatsoever, but no one, and I mean no one really wants that.

Do you want 10 year olds subject to explicit sexualization or be exposed to Nazi propaganda?

Here is the thing. Much of what is on YouTube would not pass the CRTC or FCC rules. They are far more tolerant of swearing, violence and other marginally acceptable forms of communication on YouTube than they are on TV. Yes, they might be more likely to crack down on Conservative viewpoints such as disrespecting Islam, but it's still more tolerant of such views than the mainstream TV.

It's very complicated when it comes to figuring out what to censor, but in my view, the power of losing market share from overcensorship is a better approach than letting the government get their dirty little hands in there.

And part of that self regulation includes raising a stink about this Conservatives (or liberals) getting banned. Do that and let the chips fall where they may.
“Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die”
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Liked in: 11458 posts

Postby Ka-El » Aug 19th, 2018, 3:19 pm

fvkasm2x wrote: Point is... not all educated liberals are good people/sane/intelligent/useful and not all uneducated hillbilly's are racist idiots.

Yes, that could be argued to be true (there are always going to be exceptions in both/all groups - although one would probably be hard-pressed to find an uneducated hillbilly who is not a racist idiot). But if you re-read my post again, …

Ka-El wrote: I’m quite comfortable being mistaken as belonging to the side research has shown to be collectively more intelligent ...

… you’ll note I qualified my statement by stating the findings of the research showed that one group was collectively (that is; overall, for the most part, when taken as a whole) more intelligent than the other.
“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent; it is the one most adaptable to change.” — Charles Darwin
Ka-El
Guru

Postby Ka-El » Aug 19th, 2018, 3:31 pm

the truth wrote:

^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
the truth comes out , and the people who support you in the likes says it all ,thank you and your supporters for showing your hate colors

Sarcasm has been described as the highest form of wit. I don't know if that is true,
but I do know it is lost on those without the wit to recognize it. :smt045

Omnitheo likes this post.
Ka-El
Guru

Postby Hurtlander » Aug 19th, 2018, 3:46 pm

savvybusinessman wrote:
fvkasm2x wrote:not all uneducated hillbilly's are racist idiots.

I disagree.

Many are, and that’s the truth
Hurtlander
Guru

Liked in: 4818 posts

Postby averagejoe » Aug 19th, 2018, 3:57 pm

typical race baiter...
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.
averagejoe
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 2761 posts

Postby Omnitheo » Aug 19th, 2018, 4:24 pm

averagejoe wrote:

typical race baiter...

Typical whitey
"The Charter of Rights and Freedoms protects all Canadians, every one of us, even when it is uncomfortable."
- Justin Trudeau

Ka-El likes this post.
Omnitheo
Guru

Liked in: 4446 posts

Postby Verum » Aug 19th, 2018, 5:22 pm

fvkasm2x wrote:There's really 2 simple truths regarding this topic and I don't know how there is a debate.

1. Alex Jones is a despicable excuse for a human being. He's certifiable and anyone who listens to him needs their head examined. The guy is a pig and needs mental help. I hate pretty much every thing about him, but he is free to say it.

2. There is most definitely a concern regarding free speech going on today and the left is most decidedly clamping down, telling everyone what people should say, think and do. I've said it before and I'll say it again. I attack the left and the right on the internet and only the left calls me names (usually the original Nazi insult), tells me how bad I am as a human (just for disagreeing with them) and conservative (I'm not) and tries to shut me up.

I don't know where you have experienced this, but a couple of things. Someone telling you what they think you should say, think or do is not an attack on your freedom of speech. It might be counter-productive, condescending behaviour, but it doesn't stop you saying, thinking or even doing anything. And, if you find yourself butting heads with left wing people more often than right wing, the chances are that you are right wing. I have been described by right-wingers as disgusting, stupid, sanctimonious, a jack-ass and a Marxist and seen others described much worse. Are these just because someone disagreed with my opinion, or was it an expression of what that opinion said about me in their estimation? Since those who wrote the above insults are all right-wing, does that mean that it's the right trying to shut down the left? Or maybe that I express some left-wing views that offend those on the right and when I do state a right wing view, it is a relatively centrist one?
Glacier wrote:I don't see evidence of right wingers being the only ones censored. In addition, those solidly on the right like Thomas Sowell or Ben Shapiro do not get their content taken down. More centrists on the right do like Alex Jones and even centre left types like "the amazing atheist" have been banned from social media. It's not about what your views are, but how you articulate them that gets you banned. At least, that's how it looks to me.

Don't be an a-hole, and you won't be banned.

Yes, but then you look at situations like Sarah Jeong being a racist pig against white people and she gets a cushy media gig at NY Times. Then there are articles plastered everywhere how you can't be racist against white people.

So, you clearly don't accept the provided explanation for Jeong's tweets, that they were intended to parody tweets she was regularly receiving. That doesn't make one hypocritical for accepting her explanation and not considering her a racists for sending those tweets. If one accepts her explanation, since it is at least somewhat demonstrated to be plausible (there are lots of very racist tweets aimed at her), it is only hypocritical if one would reject the same or similar from another of a different stripe in similar circumstances. So for instance, I don't think that Candace Owens is being racist if she substitutes "white" with "black" and then retweets Jeong's tweets as she is making a point without intention of insulting Black people, even if she is doing a poor job of it. Her actions aren't really significantly different to Jeongs. In fact, if one doesn't consider Owens to be racist, and do consider Jeong to be, then maybe that's being hypocritical, but that's just my take on it.

2 people like this post.
Verum
Übergod

Liked in: 1452 posts

PreviousNext

Return to Bickering Room