Moving to the OK - am I making the right choice?

The forum's Skid Road. DO NOT ENTER unless you're ready for a squabble.

Re: Moving to the OK - am I making the right choice?

Postby kgcayenne » Aug 22nd, 2018, 8:16 am

LANDM wrote:
kgcayenne wrote:LANDM, I retracted an offer once because it became apparent the vendors were going to be a pain in the tuchus. Some houses aren’t worth the trouble.

OK, I understand what you are saying, although the owners do not go along with the property after possession. If you feel that they will cheat you somehow between the offer and possession, that is a different story.
However, the OP retracted his offer only after learning others were offering also. That is not logical. Emotional, yes. But, it doesn’t change the property at all, nor does it mean the buyer has to change their offer price.

I agree. In re-reading the post, the part about:
According to their realtor, after sitting on the market for 3 months, they now have "multiple offers" and they sent through a whole list of criteria that governs HOW and WHEN to present my "best" offer.
It may have been more of a way to discourage this particular buyer... and it worked. Maybe the vendors were trying to be choosy over who their friends had for new neighbours.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
kgcayenne
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 4077 posts

Postby Glacier » Aug 22nd, 2018, 8:48 am

LANDM wrote:That’s a fascinating response. You no longer want the home only because someone else wants it?

Why not just put in the offer that you were planning on putting in? If it works, fine. If not, fine. That is how it would be whether in the presence of a competing offer or not.
Do you think you will somehow lose control and go crazy with an inappropriate offer? :135:

There are many fish in sea, so it's not worth it to pay more than you should for place you will live in for 30 years. I did the same. I made an offer, and suddenly there were multiple offers. Sorry, I'm out of there. I found a nicer place in a nicer neighbourhood for for far less money (although it did need a new roof within the first year). I was able to talk them down $35,000 on the price, which would not have happened when you are trying to compete with multiple offers.

But the OP didn't want to talk real estate, so shifting to the OK and the smoke, I would say that you shouldn't let it bother you. The last two years are been the worst on record, and you'll never see fire seasons like this again, or at least likely not. This year's fire is burning into the dead beetle killed pine that's been sitting their dead for 10 years, and that's producing a lot of smoke. Between this year and last, there isn't a lot of land left to burn in the prime beetle kill areas.

BEETLE.jpg

So, we cannot get more years like this. The forest we have in southern BC are not large enough and dry enough to generate these types of fires.

Moving on beyond fires, If the world is your urinal, and you can go where ever you want, just pick a spot and go for it. You are the one who makes your home. I've lived in many different places around the province from the very remote areas in the middle of the "pine beetle area" to Vancouver, and really, I liked them all. They all have things to offer including outdoor recreational activities.

The biggest thing I don't like about the Okanagan is not the smoke. It's not the traffic either. Rather, it's the valley cloud in the winters. The shoulder seasons are nice and warm though, and where I live east of Vernon I do get quite a bit of snow, which I consider a bonus. You get far less snow right in Vernon. There are also a lot of bike trails around, although not as many as you'd find around Victoria or even Kamloops, but still pretty good.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Glacier on Aug 22nd, 2018, 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
“There's no point in you betraying your future self to gratify your present self. It's a stupid game.”
~Jordan B. Peterson

eatSleepWoof likes this post.
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Liked in: 10758 posts

Postby eatSleepWoof » Aug 22nd, 2018, 9:18 am

LANDM wrote:
eatSleepWoof wrote:Thanks for the feedback. Since posting this thread I've settled down on the "fence sitting" I was experiencing. Actually made an offer on a place on the west side of Okanagan lake this morning. According to their realtor, after sitting on the market for 3 months, they now have "multiple offers" and they sent through a whole list of criteria that governs HOW and WHEN to present my "best" offer. Haha. I retracted my offer altogether, and the search continues.

That’s a fascinating response. You no longer want the home only because someone else wants it?

Why not just put in the offer that you were planning on putting in? If it works, fine. If not, fine. That is how it would be whether in the presence of a competing offer or not.
Do you think you will somehow lose control and go crazy with an inappropriate offer? :135:

I should have worded my post better. The note about "multiple offers" (which was/is *bleep*) came 50 minutes before my offer was set to expire. I let it expire without changing the offer. Not a "retraction" in the traditional sense, but in the sense that I'm not making a new offer as per the criteria that they sent through.

The house was nice, but not perfect. It was custom built 10 years ago to the current owners' designs & specs, (they even managed the project themselves) so I'm sure in their minds the house is the epitome of perfection, but I saw many individual downsides (that I was willing to work through for the upsides). The one thing I will absolutely NOT deal with is being in a bidding war with other (imaginary or not) buyers.

The sellers were presented my offer in the morning and had the entire day to counter it. I would have met them half way. They chose to play this stupid game, instead. Those games were common in the Vancouver market... 1.5 years ago. That boat has sailed and was nuked from orbit. As someone else commented, there are many other options out there.

Merry wrote:If your not fixated on Kelowna itself, have you considered one of the smaller towns in the surrounding area? They're a lot cheaper to live in than Kelowna, don't have as much traffic congestion, are within a short driving distance of the airport. and have the same benefits weather wise as Kelowna.

We live in a smaller community, and love it.

I'm actually NOT looking in Kelowna, for all the reasons you mentioned. Looked at ~25 houses in Kamloops, had a deal on one, it fell through when the inspection turned up a whole lot of issues and the sellers were unwilling to either fix or drop the price by the cost of the repairs. Currently focused on Vernon & Coldstream (same thing in my mind, but technically not). If I run out of options here, I'll likely start looking at Salmon Arm and the Kootenays (Trail, Rossland, maybe towards Nelson).

Glacier wrote:The biggest thing I don't like about the Okanagan is not the smoke. It's not the traffic either. Rather, it's the valley cloud in the winters. The shoulder seasons are nice and warm though, and where I live east of Vernon I do get quite a bit of snow, which I consider a bonus. You get far less snow right in Vernon. There are also a lot of bike trails around, although not as many as you'd find around Victoria or even Kamloops, but still pretty good.

Thanks for the info. Really am hoping the fire seasons of last few years are outliers. Time will tell!

What is the "valley cloud?" First time I'm hearing this term.

East of Vernon - are you talking about Lavington/Lumby, or further away? I like snow. Snow is good. (But being within commuting distance of a good-sized town is more important - for my SO.)
eatSleepWoof

Liked in: 11 posts

Postby Glacier » Aug 22nd, 2018, 9:59 am

eatSleepWoof wrote:East of Vernon - are you talking about Lavington/Lumby, or further away? I like snow. Snow is good. (But being within commuting distance of a good-sized town is more important - for my SO.)

Lumby gets LOTS of snow. Snow is great because it brightens up the cloudy winters. It's a crying shame there aren't any cross country ski trails because there's more than enough snow. My mom lives wayyy up on the Chilcotin plateau in a community of about 150 people spread over a 30km radius (most of whom are retired), and even they have cross country ski trails everywhere and they get FAR less snow than Lumby. Lumby and area has maybe 4,000 people, and yet they can't organize trails like a population of 150 can.

As for the valley cloud, understand this: Penticton, Kelowna, and Vernon get the least amount of sunshine in Canada in December and January. Basically, from late November to late January, you get cloud over the valleys while up above, say at Silver Star, it's pure sunshine. It usually only lasts a few days each time, but sometimes you can go a week or two without seeing the sun.

Add in the sunnier February, and still the Okanagan is one of the least sunniest places in the country during the winter months...
https://www.weatherstats.ca/winners.htm ... ategory=42
“There's no point in you betraying your future self to gratify your present self. It's a stupid game.”
~Jordan B. Peterson
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Liked in: 10758 posts

Postby eatSleepWoof » Aug 22nd, 2018, 10:06 am

Glacier wrote:
eatSleepWoof wrote:East of Vernon - are you talking about Lavington/Lumby, or further away? I like snow. Snow is good. (But being within commuting distance of a good-sized town is more important - for my SO.)

Lumby gets LOTS of snow. Snow is great because it brightens up the cloudy winters. It's a crying shame there aren't any cross country ski trails because there's more than enough snow. My mom lives wayyy up on the Chilcotin plateau in a community of about 150 people spread over a 30km radius (most of whom are retired), and even they have cross country ski trails everywhere and they get FAR less snow than Lumby. Lumby and area has maybe 4,000 people, and yet they can't organize trails like a population of 150 can.

As for the valley cloud, understand this: Penticton, Kelowna, and Vernon get the least amount of sunshine in Canada in December and January. Basically, from late November to late January, you get cloud over the valleys while up above, say at Silver Star, it's pure sunshine. It usually only lasts a few days each time, but sometimes you can go a week or two without seeing the sun.

Add in the sunnier February, and still the Okanagan is one of the least sunniest places in the country during the winter months...
https://www.weatherstats.ca/winners.htm ... ategory=42

Very interesting.

My own (anecdotal) experience was quite the opposite. Spent ~4 days over New Years holidays in Vernon & Silver Star this past winter, and all I remember is beautiful, sunny days (other than the drive in, on the 29th of December).

Well, Vancouver set a record for something like 9 months of continuous rain this past year, so that's what I'm "used" to dealing with. By comparison, a few months of cloud cover should be very enjoyable. [icon_lol2.gif]
eatSleepWoof

Liked in: 11 posts

Previous

Return to Bickering Room