Psychiatrist calls today's left 'mentally ill'

The forum's Skid Road. DO NOT ENTER unless you're ready for a squabble.

Re: Psychiatrist calls today's left 'mentally ill'

Postby averagejoe » Aug 28th, 2018, 9:35 am

RupertBear wrote:Sounds a lot like a right-wing quack trying to make a few bucks off the rest of the right -- those who want their beliefs reinforced, rather than making an effort to find the truth.
More soothing sounds for the right-wing echo-chamber.

If you read the article, he has no political affiliation.

He wrote about what he sees...

:topic: of the article.
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

the truth likes this post.
averagejoe
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 2521 posts

Postby Verum » Aug 28th, 2018, 9:42 am

JagXKR wrote:Here they are the left whining about a book by a psychiatrist with REAL world experience.

For decades he has diagnosed and treated more than 1,500 patients as a board-certified clinical psychiatrist and examined more than 2,700 civil and criminal cases as a board-certified forensic psychiatrist. He received his medical and psychiatric training at the University of Chicago.

But it does not matter who what when where why for the left. If it goes against their dogma they derail and attack. The book seems to be not only on the right track but actually dead on accurate.

Asking for real credentials about a book making extraordinary claims is valid and not derailing. Secondly, there are "experts" out there who will tell you what you want to hear, hence the desire to have proper peer review by a trusted body. I know more experienced and qualified psychiatrists who are liberal.
The mentally ill usually do not know they are ill. Even when they are told by a doctor. A doctor with exceptional credentials .

This is quite simply the most wrong thing I have read today, if not this week. You should consult with a psychiatrist about this opinion and see what they tell you.
"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Explains why so few people reply to me, and why I might not reply
Verum
Übergod

Liked in: 1350 posts

Postby Verum » Aug 28th, 2018, 9:46 am

averagejoe wrote:
Verum wrote:A book making claims must be supported either by peer review or facts. That's unless you are suggesting that it is a work of fiction, which I guess it could be. That would make sense.

You'd have to agree that some of your fellow travelers have major problems trying to keep a discussion on track.

A lot of posters on Castanet are realizing how often left leaning posters try and disrupt many a thread here on Castanet.

That would be deemed some kind of disorder? :135:

It happens more than you think...

It's not derailing a thread on a book when one questions the article you link to on said book, or question the merits of the book.
Complaining about derailing of a topic, when people are just voicing inconvenient opinions and truths is in and of itself derailing the discussion.
Now, back to the topic. The source of the article is untrustworthy, the book doesn't seem to be widely support ed by the psychiatric community, so frankly there is nothing of value in the article, book or any reason whatsoever to actually waste time discussing such until useful and verifiable information is provided.
"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Explains why so few people reply to me, and why I might not reply

3 people like this post.
Verum
Übergod

Postby Bsuds » Aug 28th, 2018, 9:57 am

Jmfva wrote:Sounds like he is going to make a lot of money from sheeple like you [icon_lol2.gif]

Considering this was originally published in 2006 and this is the first we have heard of it, I am not too worried nor do I have any faith in anything posted by the OP.

3 people like this post.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Liked in: 11751 posts

Postby JagXKR » Aug 28th, 2018, 10:10 am

Verum wrote:This is quite simply the most wrong thing I have read today, if not this week. You should consult with a psychiatrist about this opinion and see what they tell you.

Nope fully sane, unlike the left. The psychiatrist's book or the psychiatrist himself is what is needed to be invalidated. Can you do either? Or is it just more attacks on what I said or others have said.
I forgive the left for being "mentally ill" as the author has called the left. Your opinion has been put into perspective, as I now realize that a psychiatrist has clinically described that the left is ill.
And my opinion is affirmed by your nonacceptance of the left's illness. It is the left that needs doctor as they do not even realize they are ill. It would seem that you have proven my point, thank you.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
JagXKR
Übergod

Liked in: 1221 posts

Postby rustled » Aug 28th, 2018, 10:16 am

Verum wrote:

How do you find these biased and suspect sources?
https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/world-net-daily-wnd/
Anyway, if this was a peer reviewed and critiqued paper in a respectable journal, I might lend it some credence, but a single psychiatrist cashing in on the political partisanship of the day, no thanks, not interested.

But then you may come across something like this:
A political-science journal that published an oft-cited study claiming conservatives were more likely to show traits associated with “psychoticism” now says it got it wrong. Very wrong.

The American Journal of Political Science published a correction this year saying that the 2012 paper has “an error” — and that liberal political beliefs, not conservative ones, are actually linked to psychoticism.
https://nypost.com/2016/06/09/science-s ... ic-traits/

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/epd ... ajps.12216
https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/p ... akes-ever/
Of course, that's a journal of political science. Still. I think we're all familiar with other examples of respectable science journals getting it entirely wrong.

Why not just decide whether or not you're interested in reading this book and judging its worth or lack thereof for yourself, and leave it at that?
rustled
Guru

Liked in: 7424 posts

Postby Verum » Aug 28th, 2018, 10:21 am

JagXKR wrote:
Verum wrote:This is quite simply the most wrong thing I have read today, if not this week. You should consult with a psychiatrist about this opinion and see what they tell you.

Nope fully sane, unlike the left.

I never suggested that you weren't sane, just wrong. One can consult with a psychiatrist about all manner of issues, such includes one's own mental health (you don't need to be insane to have mental health issues), and surprisingly, on what psychiatry is and how patients in general behave. You might be surprised to find out that many patients actually realise that they have mental health issues before ever talking to a psychiatrist.
The psychiatrist's book or the psychiatrist himself is what is needed to be invalidated. Can you do either? Or is it just more attacks on what I said or others have said.

No, there is no need to invalidate the psychiatrist or their book. Rather the burden of proof is on the one making the extraordinary, non-null hypothesis claim.
I forgive the left for being "mentally ill" as the author has called the left. Your opinion has been put into perspective, as I now realize that a psychiatrist has clinically described that the left is ill.

Good for you. If you are so easily convinced of extraordinary claims when they fit with your own World view says more about you than about either the book or anyone else.
And my opinion is affirmed by your nonacceptance of the left's illness. It is the left that needs doctor as they do not even realize they are ill. It would seem that you have proven my point, thank you.

You have a very strange concept of proof.

2 people like this post.
Verum
Übergod

Postby Verum » Aug 28th, 2018, 10:32 am

rustled wrote:...

Why not just decide whether or not you're interested in reading this book and judging its worth or lack thereof for yourself, and leave it at that?

Because I like to be informed before blindly reading a book which seemingly makes extraordinary claims. When someone posts up an article, I like to make sure I can somewhat trust it.

3 people like this post.
Verum
Übergod

Postby Ka-El » Aug 28th, 2018, 10:41 am

While one psychiatrist, with "no political affiliation” (LOLOLOL, God the right are so easily played), might want us to believe today’s left are mentally ill, we only need to look at some of the posts on these threads to see there is a strong contingent from the right who are verifiably unbalanced. Besides, more current research clearly demonstrates that, as a group, people with right-wing views are less intelligent than those with left-wing views (anyone can google that), and I would suggest that the continued excuse-making and support for Trump indicates the researchers have underestimated by how much.
The ability to suspend judgment and change your mind when warranted is a distinguishing feature of critical thought
– apparently not recognizable to those who don’t have the ability.

"I don't know who dimples is, I don't know what this means"

3 people like this post.
Ka-El
Guru

Liked in: 5697 posts

Postby kgcayenne » Aug 28th, 2018, 10:47 am

This psychiatrist wants to make some money. He's a good businessman for having chosen to target this market at this particular time.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.

2 people like this post.
kgcayenne
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 4077 posts

Postby rustled » Aug 28th, 2018, 10:50 am

Verum wrote:
rustled wrote:...

Because I like to be informed before blindly reading a book which seemingly makes extraordinary claims. When someone posts up an article, I like to make sure I can somewhat trust it.

Who could you rely on for information about the book, though? There were some seemingly extraordinary claims in the journal-published article I linked to. Could it be trusted? Apparently not. There are some seemingly extraordinary claims in the retraction, too! Such irony that the original was cited as proof. (Caution, Ka-El.) Personally, I rather enjoyed the juxtaposition:
A political-science journal that published an oft-cited study claiming conservatives were more likely to show traits associated with “psychoticism” now says it got it wrong. Very wrong.

The American Journal of Political Science published a correction this year saying that the 2012 paper has “an error” — and that liberal political beliefs, not conservative ones, are actually linked to psychoticism.
https://nypost.com/2016/06/09/science-s ... ic-traits/

You may not be any further ahead relying on the science journals before reading it, since we must exercise due diligence with them as well.
rustled
Guru

Liked in: 7424 posts

Postby Bsuds » Aug 28th, 2018, 11:02 am

It boils down to 1 persons "opinion" and no matter what his history is it is still only that.

Kind of like the flavour of the week...next week is different.

2 people like this post.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Liked in: 11751 posts

Postby averagejoe » Aug 28th, 2018, 11:36 am

Bsuds wrote:It boils down to 1 persons "opinion" and no matter what his history is it is still only that.

Kind of like the flavour of the week...next week is different.

But you have to admit he does have a great point.

There are some pretty strange people on the left let alone mentally ill.

Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.
averagejoe
Walks on Forum Water

Postby averagejoe » Aug 28th, 2018, 11:40 am

Bsuds wrote: Considering this was originally published in 2006 and this is the first we have heard of it,

So nothing has changed in the liberal mind from 2006.

Still a sickness.
averagejoe
Walks on Forum Water

Postby RupertBear » Aug 28th, 2018, 11:53 am

averagejoe wrote:
Bsuds wrote: Considering this was originally published in 2006 and this is the first we have heard of it,

So nothing has changed in the liberal mind from 2006.

Still a sickness.

Instead of just continuing to waste everyone's time with your trolling, why don't you just buy a copy of the book and read it?
Then you'll be happy, because another rightie is reinforcing your beliefs, and the author will be happy because someone else is putting $30 in his pocket.

2 people like this post.
RupertBear
Board Meister

Liked in: 632 posts

PreviousNext

Return to Bickering Room