Psychiatrist calls today's left 'mentally ill'

The forum's Skid Road. DO NOT ENTER unless you're ready for a squabble.

Re: Psychiatrist calls today's left 'mentally ill'

Postby Ranger66 » Aug 28th, 2018, 12:00 pm

Another book just like the bible, no matter how many times you could show it to be wrong, inconsistent of just another fantasy, the desire to believe over rules logic and rational thought.
To cool to live, to smart to die
Ranger66
Übergod

Liked in: 388 posts

Postby Jmfva » Aug 28th, 2018, 12:06 pm

averagejoe wrote:
Verum wrote:
Give me a good reason to trust the book, otherwise you're pushing what could just be the inane rantings of an imbecile. Show me where the psychiatric community are getting behind this book. Anything good and trustworthy and not just another known biased and factually suspect site. I don't think that's too much to ask.

This is about the book not about sources....typical leftist derailing tactic.

:topic:

seriously Joe, could you be trolling any harder? Is that really your only goal on this forum? put out a clickbait article, then tell everyone to shut up.

2 people like this post.
Jmfva
Board Meister

Liked in: 660 posts

Postby Jmfva » Aug 28th, 2018, 12:08 pm

Bsuds wrote:
Jmfva wrote:Sounds like he is going to make a lot of money from sheeple like you [icon_lol2.gif]

Considering this was originally published in 2006 and this is the first we have heard of it, I am not too worried nor do I have any faith in anything posted by the OP.

He is still squeezing money out of a few silly people I guess...
Jmfva
Board Meister

Postby Bsuds » Aug 28th, 2018, 12:09 pm

Jmfva wrote:seriously Joe, could you be trolling any harder? Is that really your only goal on this forum? put out a clickbait article, then tell everyone to shut up.

Pretty much hit the nail on the head.
Why do they put a round pizza in a square box and then eat it in triangles?

3 people like this post.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Liked in: 11793 posts

Postby Omnitheo » Aug 28th, 2018, 12:15 pm

averagejoe wrote:
Bsuds wrote:It boils down to 1 persons "opinion" and no matter what his history is it is still only that.

Kind of like the flavour of the week...next week is different.

But you have to admit he does have a great point.

There are some pretty strange people on the left let alone mentally ill.

Interesting coming from someone so opposed to “The Left” and “globalism” would share a meme from a tv show set in a communist paradise future with the earth part of a federation of different species, who’s president is an alien...
"The Charter of Rights and Freedoms protects all Canadians, every one of us, even when it is uncomfortable."
- Justin Trudeau

2 people like this post.
Omnitheo
Guru

Liked in: 4203 posts

Postby Ka-El » Aug 28th, 2018, 12:23 pm

rustled wrote:
A political-science journal that published an oft-cited study claiming conservatives were more likely to show traits associated with “psychoticism” now says it got it wrong. Very wrong.

The American Journal of Political Science published a correction this year saying that the 2012 paper has “an error” — and that liberal political beliefs, not conservative ones, are actually linked to psychoticism.
https://nypost.com/2016/06/09/science-s ... ic-traits/

For whatever reason your link wouldn’t take me to the story you were referencing (could be my firewall). However, I certainly agree with you in saying we may not be any further ahead relying on the science journals before reading them, and that we must exercise critical thought while reading them as well.The studies I was referring to did not reference psychoticism, but they made sense in consideration of the traits we see exhibited by certain right-wing posters around here.

Study links low intelligence with right-wing beliefs

Researchers have found a possible explanation for why certain people are prejudiced: they're less intelligent.
Children with lower general intelligence are more likely to become prejudiced as adults, according to a Brock University study.

The study, published in the journal Psychological Science, examined data from two large-scale British studies, and found lower intelligence scores in childhood were predictors of greater racism in adulthood, which the researchers controversially explain is brought about by adopting right-wing ideologies.

A secondary analysis of data from a U.S. study also showed those with poor abstract-reasoning skills were more likely to have anti-homosexual prejudice, partially linked to authoritarian attitudes.

Lead researcher Gordon Hodson told LiveScience that the results of the study indicate a vicious cycle, in which people with low intelligence are drawn to socially conservative ideologies. In turn, those ideologies can contribute to prejudices.

"Socially conservative ideologies tend to offer structure and order," he said, explaining why those with lower intelligence may gravitate toward the right. "Unfortunately, many of these features can contribute to prejudice."

The researchers found that people with lower intelligence also tended to have less contact with other races and groups, which, Dr. Hodson said, supports previous research that determined interacting with other groups is mentally challenging and cognitively draining.

Dr. Hodson explained the findings do not mean all liberals are smart and all conservatives are stupid, LiveScience.com reports. "There are multiple examples of very bright conservatives and not-so-bright liberals, and many examples of very principled conservatives and very intolerant liberals," he said.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/th ... cle543361/

Right-wingers tend to be less intelligent than left-wingers, and people with low childhood intelligence tend to grow up to have racist and anti-gay views, says a controversial new study.

Conservative politics work almost as a 'gateway' into prejudice against others, say the Canadian academics.

The paper analysed large UK studies which compared childhood intelligence with political views in adulthood across more than 15,000 people.

The authors claim that people with low intelligence gravitate towards right-wing views because they make them feel safe.
Crucially, people's educational level is not what determines whether they are racist or not - it's innate intelligence, according to the academics.

Social status also appears to play no part.

The study, published in Psychological Science, claims that right-wing ideology forms a 'pathway' for people with low reasoning ability to become prejudiced against groups such as other races and gay people.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... acist.html

Of course, the posters I am referencing will strongly object with their robust grade two (“That’s what you are but what am I?”) counterargument: “I’m not a racist, you’re a racist”.
The ability to suspend judgment and change your mind when warranted is a distinguishing feature of critical thought
– apparently not recognizable to those who don’t have the ability.

"I don't know who dimples is, I don't know what this means"
Ka-El
Guru

Liked in: 5744 posts

Postby averagejoe » Aug 28th, 2018, 12:39 pm

Jmfva wrote: put out a clickbait article, then tell everyone to shut up.

Liberals are well know to derail topics here on Castanet. Sorta like the antifa of the internet.

Just need to make you focus on the topic at hand.

You know what I mean.... :smt045
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.
averagejoe
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 2566 posts

Postby Jmfva » Aug 28th, 2018, 12:45 pm

averagejoe wrote:
Jmfva wrote: put out a clickbait article, then tell everyone to shut up.

Liberals are well know to derail topics here on Castanet. Sorta like the antifa of the internet.

Just need to make you focus on the topic at hand.

You know what I mean.... :smt045

FYI: Different points of view are not derailing, its debate. :up:

you are the only one derailing any discussion that could be had, forums are for discussion, not just your echo chambers.

every time there is a legitimate question about the topic at hand you resort to your favorite emoji. :topic:

2 people like this post.
Jmfva
Board Meister

Postby OKkayak » Aug 28th, 2018, 12:51 pm

Omnitheo wrote:

Interesting coming from someone so opposed to “The Left” and “globalism” would share a meme from a tv show set in a communist paradise future with the earth part of a federation of different species, who’s president is an alien...

And built a big wall in outer space to keep their enemies out.

And they made the Klingon's and Romulan's pay for it :up:
OKkayak
Übergod

Liked in: 1565 posts

Postby averagejoe » Aug 28th, 2018, 1:11 pm

Jmfva wrote: every time there is a legitimate question about the topic at hand you resort to your favorite emoji.

[icon_lol2.gif]

I know sorta fits the shoe right..... :130:
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.
averagejoe
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 2566 posts

Postby Jmfva » Aug 28th, 2018, 1:26 pm

Now you can troll in the bickering room. :up:

savvybusinessman likes this post.
Jmfva
Board Meister

Postby savvybusinessman » Aug 28th, 2018, 1:27 pm

I wonder what a psychiatrist would say about Joe.

2 people like this post.
savvybusinessman
Board Meister

Liked in: 258 posts

Postby Bsuds » Aug 28th, 2018, 1:47 pm

savvybusinessman wrote:I wonder what a psychiatrist would say about Joe.

You seem to be quite Liberal. :biggrin:
Why do they put a round pizza in a square box and then eat it in triangles?

3 people like this post.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Liked in: 11793 posts

Postby rustled » Aug 28th, 2018, 2:22 pm

Ka-El wrote:For whatever reason your link wouldn’t take me to the story you were referencing (could be my firewall). However, I certainly agree with you in saying we may not be any further ahead relying on the science journals before reading them, and that we must exercise critical thought while reading them as well.The studies I was referring to did not reference psychoticism, but they made sense in consideration of the traits we see exhibited by certain right-wing posters around here.

Apologies, Ka-El. I'd quoted my own post, and it appears the link was affected. Here it is again, hopefully with nothing lost this time in translation, along with the other two links, one being to the ever-so-interesting retraction:
rustled wrote:But then you may come across something like this:
A political-science journal that published an oft-cited study claiming conservatives were more likely to show traits associated with “psychoticism” now says it got it wrong. Very wrong.

The American Journal of Political Science published a correction this year saying that the 2012 paper has “an error” — and that liberal political beliefs, not conservative ones, are actually linked to psychoticism.
https://nypost.com/2016/06/09/science-s ... ic-traits/

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/epd ... ajps.12216
https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/p ... akes-ever/
Of course, that's a journal of political science. Still. I think we're all familiar with other examples of respectable science journals getting it entirely wrong.

It's all very interesting, isn't it? One puts one's faith in the science as reported in the journal, and then discovers one had the wrong end of the stick as a result of relying on the science as reported in the journal. What are we mere mortals, particularly those of us with conservative and therefore of less psychotic belief but also of lesser intelligence, to think?

Oh, the perils to those prone to label-and-dismiss theories are seemingly boundless!

Perhaps it's best we all treat people as individuals with multi-hued opinions, strengths and weaknesses. Pride goeth before the fall, and all that jazz.
rustled
Guru

Liked in: 7424 posts

Postby the truth » Aug 28th, 2018, 3:11 pm

https://www.wnd.com/2018/08/veteran-psy ... Pkco1iV.99 the truth hurts people

i have been saying it forever the left is mentally ill :130:
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell

averagejoe likes this post.
the truth
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 6531 posts

PreviousNext

Return to Bickering Room