Psychiatrist calls today's left 'mentally ill'

The forum's Skid Road. DO NOT ENTER unless you're ready for a squabble.

Re: Psychiatrist calls today's left 'mentally ill'

Postby Ka-El » Aug 28th, 2018, 3:15 pm

rustled wrote: It's all very interesting, isn't it? One puts one's faith in the science as reported in the journal, and then discovers one had the wrong end of the stick as a result of relying on the science as reported in the journal. What are we mere mortals, particularly those of us with conservative and therefore of less psychotic belief but also of lesser intelligence, to think?

Oh I would never paint all conservatives with the same brush rustled. However, as the British philosopher and political economist, John Stuart Mill once observed, “Although it is not true all conservatives are stupid people, it is true most stupid people are conservative" (just a friendly jab there rustled). I know there are at least a few on these boards, yourself included, who have demonstrated themselves to be quite capable of balanced intellectual thought - although there are more than a few, the OP included, who have proven themselves to be quite naïve, misinformed and unbalanced. Of course, I know there are plenty of examples from the left of this as well. My own opinion would be there is a negative correlation between extremist and/or simplistic views (including populism) and intelligence, with more intelligent people normally gravitating toward the center in political and socioeconomic thought. I like to pick on the extreme right-wingers though, because their hypocrisy in criticizing the left for the things they are most guilty of knows no bounds and is quite amusing - and that's the truth.
The ability to suspend judgment and change your mind when warranted is a distinguishing feature of critical thought
– apparently not recognizable to those who don’t have the ability.

"I don't know who dimples is, I don't know what this means"

3 people like this post.
Ka-El
Guru

Liked in: 5737 posts

Postby rustled » Aug 28th, 2018, 4:05 pm

Alas, Ka-El, you entirely miss the point of my earlier caution!

Do you not yet see the danger in self-identifying as belonging to one group or the other? The risk of seeing others as belonging to one group or the other? Aside from the scientific evidence presented in this thread alone, we have elsewhere discussed the natural consequence of this kind of thinking. Left or right, conservative or liberal, populist or elitist, we are all in this together and we cannot solve our problems by dividing.

While it intrigues me that you see me as a conservative, I see this as neither insult nor complement but rather a label you have used for your own purposes, not mine. I refuse to see myself as pigeonholed. It seems perhaps you may be comfortable choosing a sub-tribe on your own behalf, and that is your prerogative. Still, I do not accept that you would always claim to belong entirely within that single grouping, that you would allow yourself to be firmly entrenched within any circle which by definition fully excludes a sizeable portion of the populace.

Who among us would actively embrace this kind of pigeonholing, knowing full well what the science has to say today about any chosen group, and what it may say about that same group tomorrow?

4 people like this post.
rustled
Guru

Liked in: 7424 posts

Postby Catsumi » Aug 28th, 2018, 4:41 pm

Yeah, the labelling of "intellectually superior leftist", "stupid" on the right" Yadee yadee.....it's gotten SO old, tedious, monotonous, boring!

If you're going to persist in labelling, find some new descriptors so as not to be so predictable. Please, thanks. Leftists are smart enough to check a Theosarus, right?
Last edited by Catsumi on Aug 28th, 2018, 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Make the Cdn wet dream come true. Vote MAD MAX

Like a plague, JT must go!

2 people like this post.
Catsumi
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 3471 posts

Postby cuba108 » Aug 28th, 2018, 4:49 pm

Right wing intelligence.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cuba108
Fledgling

Liked in: 84 posts

Postby Ka-El » Aug 28th, 2018, 8:09 pm

rustled wrote: Alas, Ka-El, you entirely miss the point of my earlier caution!

Do you not yet see the danger in self-identifying as belonging to one group or the other? The risk of seeing others as belonging to one group or the other? Aside from the scientific evidence presented in this thread alone, we have elsewhere discussed the natural consequence of this kind of thinking. Left or right, conservative or liberal, populist or elitist, we are all in this together and we cannot solve our problems by dividing.

I think you have perhaps missed my points, or have never read any of my other posts (which I kind of doubt). I agree wholeheartedly with your concern over the risk of seeing others as belonging to one group or the other and have voiced that concern myself on many occasions. I have also stated many times that left or right, conservative or liberal, populist or elitist, we are all in this together and we cannot solve our problems by dividing. Still, people do continue to self-identify with one side or the other and these same people are quick to label others in the same way. While I don’t want to jump to any conclusions, with some people it is pretty clear as they make no attempt to hide it and provide little evidence to the contrary. Few people on these boards are going to test their thinking because we challenge them to do so, so like others here I tend to sometimes make fun of those who are especially rigid-minded, “out there” or extremist (such as being a Trump supporter which requires one to be a special kind of stupid). Not deliberately malicious, but maybe not too ambassadorial.

I am sometimes accused of being right-wing (when discussing pipelines, Israel, etc.), and I am also often accused of being a partisan leftist; even by a poster who has “liked” many of my posts when discussing pipelines or Israel, etc. (he either does not know what the word partisan means or he is just trolling). In fact, I do not self-identify with any group and I have voted for each of the main three parties at different times in different elections depending on the circumstances at the time (I am a swing voter and have even twice voted for Harper’s Conservatives – my bad). As already stated, I especially tend to enjoy making fun of the extreme right-wingers, because their hypocrisy in criticizing the left for the things they are most guilty of knows no bounds and is quite amusing. I have poked fun at some left-wingers as well but they don't get as worked up.

While I also agree it is silly to say one group is more or less intelligent than the other, I also still do maintain more intelligent people will normally gravitate toward the center in political and socioeconomic thought and critically consider ideas from both sides of the spectrum without prejudice. The fact of the matter is that people do often take the lazy way and form opinion from purely partisan motive placing themselves as left or right, and by dividing themselves from the whole they help to create and perpetuate that polarization and division. Populism is also a very real threat in this regard. Since they seem incapable of objectively looking at their own part in this, I sometimes (often) make fun of the whole thing. Sadly, subtle sarcasm is often lost on the more rigid thinkers – particularly those stuck floating in their echo chambers.

Bottom line, I agree with everything you are saying, but it seems clear in todays polarized environment that productive discussion is often but a pipedream – at least on these boards. No, that doesn’t mean we should just give up, and I won’t, but there are times when I’m just not going to take some posters or these discussions very seriously. You deserved a more well thought reply. Many don’t.

rustled wrote:While it intrigues me that you see me as a conservative, … ?
rustled wrote: What are we mere mortals, particularly those of us with conservative and therefore of less psychotic belief but also of lesser intelligence, to think?

My mistake. Apologies again.
The ability to suspend judgment and change your mind when warranted is a distinguishing feature of critical thought

Poindexter likes this post.
Ka-El
Guru

Postby averagejoe » Aug 28th, 2018, 10:44 pm

cuba108 wrote:Right wing intelligence.

This thread is about the mentally ill left.

:topic:
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

the truth likes this post.
averagejoe
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 2562 posts

Postby averagejoe » Aug 28th, 2018, 10:45 pm

Ka-El wrote:
rustled wrote: Alas, Ka-El, you entirely miss the point of my earlier caution!

I think you have perhaps missed my points, or have never read any of my other posts (which I kind of doubt). I agree wholeheartedly with your concern over the risk of seeing others as belonging to one group or the other and have voiced that concern myself on many occasions. I have also stated many times that left or right, conservative or liberal, populist or elitist, we are all in this together and we cannot solve our problems by dividing. Still, people do continue to self-identify with one side or the other and these same people are quick to label others in the same way. While I don’t want to jump to any conclusions, with some people it is pretty clear as they make no attempt to hide it and provide little evidence to the contrary. Few people on these boards are going to test their thinking because we challenge them to do so, so like others here I tend to sometimes make fun of those who are especially rigid-minded, “out there” or extremist (such as being a Trump supporter which requires one to be a special kind of stupid). Not deliberately malicious, but maybe not too ambassadorial.

I am sometimes accused of being right-wing (when discussing pipelines, Israel, etc.), and I am also often accused of being a partisan leftist; even by a poster who has “liked” many of my posts when discussing pipelines or Israel, etc. (he either does not know what the word partisan means or he is just trolling). In fact, I do not self-identify with any group and I have voted for each of the main three parties at different times in different elections depending on the circumstances at the time (I am a swing voter and have even twice voted for Harper’s Conservatives – my bad). As already stated, I especially tend to enjoy making fun of the extreme right-wingers, because their hypocrisy in criticizing the left for the things they are most guilty of knows no bounds and is quite amusing. I have poked fun at some left-wingers as well but they don't get as worked up.

While I also agree it is silly to say one group is more or less intelligent than the other, I also still do maintain more intelligent people will normally gravitate toward the center in political and socioeconomic thought and critically consider ideas from both sides of the spectrum without prejudice. The fact of the matter is that people do often take the lazy way and form opinion from purely partisan motive placing themselves as left or right, and by dividing themselves from the whole they help to create and perpetuate that polarization and division. Populism is also a very real threat in this regard. Since they seem incapable of objectively looking at their own part in this, I sometimes (often) make fun of the whole thing. Sadly, subtle sarcasm is often lost on the more rigid thinkers – particularly those stuck floating in their echo chambers.

Bottom line, I agree with everything you are saying, but it seems clear in todays polarized environment that productive discussion is often but a pipedream – at least on these boards. No, that doesn’t mean we should just give up, and I won’t, but there are times when I’m just not going to take some posters or these discussions very seriously. You deserved a more well thought reply. Many don’t.

rustled wrote:While it intrigues me that you see me as a conservative, … ?
rustled wrote: What are we mere mortals, particularly those of us with conservative and therefore of less psychotic belief but also of lesser intelligence, to think?

My mistake. Apologies again.

This is thread is about mentally ill people on the left.

:topic:
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.
averagejoe
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 2562 posts

Postby savvybusinessman » Aug 28th, 2018, 10:54 pm

averagejoe wrote:This thread is about the mentally ill left.

It's about the new Spider-Man game for PS4.

Omnitheo likes this post.
savvybusinessman
Board Meister

Liked in: 258 posts

Postby OKkayak » Aug 28th, 2018, 11:08 pm

cuba108 wrote:Right wing intelligence.

I thought that everything Trump said was a lie?

At least according to the Left :laugh:
OKkayak
Übergod

Liked in: 1556 posts

Postby Ka-El » Aug 29th, 2018, 6:29 am

:135: I thought you self-identified as right?

Or are you just the 'alternative" guy? [icon_lol2.gif]

Jmfva likes this post.
Ka-El
Guru

Postby floppi » Aug 29th, 2018, 6:54 am

Ka-El wrote:

:135: I thought you self-identified as right?

Or are you just the 'alternative" guy? [icon_lol2.gif]

He's a mentally ill "alternative" right guy [icon_lol2.gif]

2 people like this post.
floppi
Übergod

Liked in: 562 posts

Postby normaM » Aug 29th, 2018, 8:10 am

Lucky I'm ambidextrous.
Did you buy the book Average Joe?
If onion rings are wrong I don't wanna be right

2 people like this post.
normaM
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 4249 posts

Postby Walking Wounded » Aug 29th, 2018, 11:31 am

Ka-El wrote: I like to pick on the extreme right-wingers though, because their hypocrisy in criticizing the left for the things they are most guilty of knows no bounds and is quite amusing - and that's the truth.

You could exchange the words left & right in this statement. Both extreme ends of the political spectrum are as bad as each other.

2 people like this post.
Walking Wounded
Übergod

Liked in: 1916 posts

Postby Poindexter » Aug 29th, 2018, 2:15 pm

Walking Wounded wrote:
Ka-El wrote: I like to pick on the extreme right-wingers though, because their hypocrisy in criticizing the left for the things they are most guilty of knows no bounds and is quite amusing - and that's the truth.

You could exchange the words left & right in this statement. Both extreme ends of the political spectrum are as bad as each other.

But you don't have to go to the extremes of the right to see use of the "I'm rubber, your glue" defence, you only have to watch the White House daily press briefings.

3 people like this post.
Poindexter
Guru

Liked in: 4534 posts

Postby kgcayenne » Aug 31st, 2018, 7:22 am

averagejoe wrote:
RupertBear wrote:Sounds a lot like a right-wing quack trying to make a few bucks off the rest of the right -- those who want their beliefs reinforced, rather than making an effort to find the truth.
More soothing sounds for the right-wing echo-chamber.

If you read the article, he has no political affiliation.

He wrote about what he sees...

People are pretty good at finding what they are 'looking for'. That's how bias works.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
kgcayenne
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 4078 posts

PreviousNext

Return to Bickering Room