The Alberta oil industry

The forum's Skid Road. DO NOT ENTER unless you're ready for a squabble.

Re: The Alberta oil industry

Postby Walking Wounded » Dec 14th, 2018, 4:35 pm

Cactusflower wrote:
erinmore3775 wrote:Unfortunately, some contributors have very short and very selective memories. Geothermal was posted as the perfect alternative to Site C just a very few short months ago. Celebrate what Drayton is doing.

https://globalnews.ca/news/3326729/using-abandoned-oil-wells-for-geothermal-on-edmonton-mps-federal-budget-2017-wish-list/

This idea has been proposed before. However, it has not got the same traction as solar/wind developments many because of lobbying against it by the solar/wind developers. It seems as if one "green" proponent cannot support another.

https://thenarwhal.ca/why-small-alberta-oil-and-gas-town-pursuing-geothermal-power/

While not every abandoned well is suitable for geothermal development there are other possibilities.

https://www.jwnenergy.com/article/2017/10/how-geothermal-could-transform-albertas-abandoned-oil-and-gas-wells-power-generation/

It is all too easy to bash an industry you do not like. It is much harder to offer rational and doable alternatives or constructive criticism. Over the next 20 years, as we transition into a country that is less dependent on petroleum, we are going to need the revenue from petroleum to accomplish that. I would hope that contributors would offer ways to transport, refine, and use our petroleum, within our country, in more environmentally friendly ways than simple demand that we refuse to use petroleum and leave it in the ground.

Perhaps it is you that has a short memory. I recall posting a few links of my own a couple of years ago about the geothermal projects near Valemount and Terrace. I also applauded the town of Hinton for considering such a plan.

However, for as many stories there are about these projects, there have never been (to my knowledge, and I'm sure you'll start bashing me for that) any follow-up stories telling us how successful they are.

You haven’t even been a member of these forums for a couple of years, so how did you post anything a couple of years ago?

vegas1500 likes this post.
Walking Wounded
Übergod

Liked in: 2084 posts

Postby Snman » Dec 14th, 2018, 4:50 pm

^^^^ LMAO!! Cactusflower BURN!!! ^^^^
I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance - Socrates
Snman
Übergod

Liked in: 982 posts

Postby Mordu » Dec 14th, 2018, 5:01 pm

Removed.
Last edited by Mordu on Dec 15th, 2018, 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mordu
Board Meister

Liked in: 215 posts

Postby Cactusflower » Dec 14th, 2018, 7:15 pm

I've been a Castanet member for years. I also am a member of other public opinion forums. If you can't find my comments, perhaps you're looking for the wrong user name. I don't appreciate your insinuations or your accusations, so please put me on your ignore list, and I'll put you on mine.
Cactusflower
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1006 posts

Postby Mordu » Dec 14th, 2018, 9:30 pm

Even for Gramma’s bitchin’ about it she finds out that good green salad needs a little more oil than vinegar.

Mordu
Board Meister

Liked in: 215 posts

Previous

Return to Bickering Room