2019 Banking, Investments & Real Estate

The forum's Skid Road. DO NOT ENTER unless you're ready for a squabble.

2019 Banking, Investments & Real Estate

Postby forum » Dec 27th, 2018, 9:21 am

Just getting things calibrated for the year.

User avatar
forum
Guru
 
Posts: 6258
Likes: 1245 posts
Liked in: 1492 posts
Joined: May 10th, 2011, 9:08 pm

Re: 2019 Banking, Investments & Real Estate

Postby forum » Jan 1st, 2019, 10:45 am

As I blew spit bubbles into a small test tube yesterday and mailed it off, I began to reflect on my year and also began to think about my future.

With my Freedom First Policy successfully maintained (living a debt free life) for over 30 year, I thought about what changes I'll make in my life for the next 30 years. (If I get another 30).

Let's start with Banking.

Like many naive Canadians, I opened my first bank account with the same bank my parents went to.
Now that I'm financial free and have important choices to make with how and where I stuff my cash, I will be actively researching banks quarterly and make them compete harder for my business.
They are a service based business after all.
Why should they be the only one's making record profits?

Robo Banking is proving to be a success. I will perform more research into adopting a couple Robo adviseaurs this year.

I didn't think I could top last night, but my first day into the New Year has been a great start.

This sexually active couple reminds me that there is still hope for Canadians:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/lifestyle/b-c-couple-sells-everything-to-sail-around-the-world-1.4235666

Freedom First. Always.
User avatar
forum
Guru
 
Posts: 6258
Likes: 1245 posts
Liked in: 1492 posts
Joined: May 10th, 2011, 9:08 pm

Re: 2019 Banking, Investments & Real Estate

Postby LTD » Jan 1st, 2019, 12:01 pm

lol bums on a sail boat sponging off others to survive sounds like a pretty solid well thought out plan :up:

2 people like this post.
LTD
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 4700
Likes: 3310 posts
Liked in: 3817 posts
Joined: Mar 31st, 2010, 3:34 pm

Re: 2019 Banking, Investments & Real Estate

Postby vegas1500 » Jan 1st, 2019, 12:46 pm

forum wrote:As I blew spit bubbles into a small test tube yesterday and mailed it off, I began to reflect on my year and also began to think about my future.

With my Freedom First Policy successfully maintained (living a debt free life) for over 30 year, I thought about what changes I'll make in my life for the next 30 years. (If I get another 30).

Let's start with Banking.

Like many naive Canadians, I opened my first bank account with the same bank my parents went to.
Now that I'm financial free and have important choices to make with how and where I stuff my cash, I will be actively researching banks quarterly and make them compete harder for my business.
They are a service based business after all.
Why should they be the only one's making record profits?

Robo Banking is proving to be a success. I will perform more research into adopting a couple Robo adviseaurs this year.

I didn't think I could top last night, but my first day into the New Year has been a great start.

This sexually active couple reminds me that there is still hope for Canadians:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/lifestyle/b-c-couple-sells-everything-to-sail-around-the-world-1.4235666

Freedom First. Always.



I bet all the banks will be standing in line begging for all your business..... my god people are clueless.

AJR likes this post.
User avatar
vegas1500
Übergod
 
Posts: 1642
Likes: 4585 posts
Liked in: 2158 posts
Joined: Aug 4th, 2013, 6:53 pm

Re: 2019 Banking, Investments & Real Estate

Postby normaM » Jan 1st, 2019, 2:29 pm

well actually shopping around for a Bank is a good idea.. too many just start with like Scotiabank and never leave
I got a nice amt of money for transferring some coin over to another Bank
Ticked me off TD was offering great freebies to people who became new members
nothing to the fossils
I dislike doing retail banking but
Button button.. where are those cheap buttons?

forum likes this post.
User avatar
normaM
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 19241
Likes: 9330 posts
Liked in: 6508 posts
Joined: Sep 18th, 2007, 7:28 am

Re: 2019 Banking, Investments & Real Estate

Postby forum » Jan 1st, 2019, 2:35 pm

normaM wrote:well actually shopping around for a Bank is a good idea.. too many just start with like Scotiabank and never leave
I got a nice amt of money for transferring some coin over to another Bank
Ticked me off TD was offering great freebies to people who became new members
nothing to the fossils
I dislike doing retail banking but


Just call up the bank manager. Tell them you're miffed because your nephew just walked in with a shiny new iPAD and you've been banking there for years and only get emails about switching from paper to paperless.

2 people like this post.
User avatar
forum
Guru
 
Posts: 6258
Likes: 1245 posts
Liked in: 1492 posts
Joined: May 10th, 2011, 9:08 pm

Re: 2019 Banking, Investments & Real Estate

Postby Bsuds » Jan 1st, 2019, 4:01 pm

Switch to the Bank giving out iPads and then in 6-8 months switch again.
Ducks have feathers to cover their Butt Quacks!

forum likes this post.
User avatar
Bsuds
The Wagon Master
 
Posts: 44904
Likes: 10707 posts
Liked in: 13283 posts
Joined: Apr 21st, 2005, 10:46 am

Re: 2019 Banking, Investments & Real Estate

Postby Bsuds » Jan 1st, 2019, 4:14 pm

Eye got mine!

eye pad.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ducks have feathers to cover their Butt Quacks!

6 people like this post.
User avatar
Bsuds
The Wagon Master
 
Posts: 44904
Likes: 10707 posts
Liked in: 13283 posts
Joined: Apr 21st, 2005, 10:46 am

Re: 2019 Banking, Investments & Real Estate

Postby normaM » Jan 1st, 2019, 5:39 pm

I did call PB... tough
So I watch what the Bank offers are
I just felt I deserved the freaking iPad
Button button.. where are those cheap buttons?
User avatar
normaM
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 19241
Likes: 9330 posts
Liked in: 6508 posts
Joined: Sep 18th, 2007, 7:28 am

Re: 2019 Banking, Investments & Real Estate

Postby Catsumi » Jan 2nd, 2019, 9:16 am

Switching banks involves sitting down with manager, face to face interview for an hour, while he/she probes and notes your personal info (S.I.N., employer, etc). I assume this is to satisfy gov't regs as this was not the case years ago when you could move your money to a new bank at will, and without the song and dance.

Pain in the toosh. Then they charge for transactions.

I can put that hour plus travel time to better use. Just sticking with C.U. where they pay profits into members' accounts.
People with opinions just go around bothering each other with them. (S. Gautama)
Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm. (W. Churchill)
User avatar
Catsumi
Moderator
 
Posts: 6578
Likes: 6573 posts
Liked in: 6156 posts
Joined: May 24th, 2017, 8:26 pm

Re: 2019 Banking, Investments & Real Estate

Postby forum » Jan 2nd, 2019, 10:16 am

RBC right now is paying $20 for 20 minutes to go in and chat.

Thats a better deal than going for lunch with Bpeep.

http://www.rbcroyalbank.com/dms/enterprise/take20/offer20-or.html

If you can visit three different branches within an hour, before they catch on, you would make $60. $60/hr is middle class wage nowadays. Not bad for just chatting. You'd feel like a politician, rushing from one meeting to another flapping your gums, smiling and then getting paid for it.

2 people like this post.
User avatar
forum
Guru
 
Posts: 6258
Likes: 1245 posts
Liked in: 1492 posts
Joined: May 10th, 2011, 9:08 pm

Re: 2019 Banking, Investments & Real Estate

Postby Hurtlander » Jan 2nd, 2019, 2:44 pm

One of the banks I use is now paying 6.5% on my savings account. That’s pretty good.

forum likes this post.
User avatar
Hurtlander
Guru
 
Posts: 7675
Likes: 2517 posts
Liked in: 6265 posts
Joined: Jun 23rd, 2013, 10:48 am

Re: 2019 Banking, Investments & Real Estate

Postby Jonrox » Jan 2nd, 2019, 2:54 pm

It's such a huge pain in the *bleep* to have to move all of my automatic bill payments and deposits that I can't see myself researching and potentially switching banks every quarter. But good on ya if you have the time and desire to do it.

forum likes this post.
Jonrox
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 4157
Likes: 444 posts
Liked in: 2523 posts
Joined: Apr 14th, 2010, 2:09 pm

Re: 2019 Banking, Investments & Real Estate

Postby normaM » Jan 2nd, 2019, 4:16 pm

which bank Hurtlander
Cats never had the Spanish Inqu switching banks
I'd enjoy 6.5% interest.. is there a catch? There is always a catch :/
I thought FORUM's new thread would be on page 60 by now. You are slacking Forum
Button button.. where are those cheap buttons?

forum likes this post.
User avatar
normaM
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 19241
Likes: 9330 posts
Liked in: 6508 posts
Joined: Sep 18th, 2007, 7:28 am

Re: 2019 Banking, Investments & Real Estate

Postby forum » Jan 2nd, 2019, 4:17 pm

Hurtlander wrote:One of the banks I use is now paying 6.5% on my savings account. That’s pretty good.


Bank or Credit Union?
User avatar
forum
Guru
 
Posts: 6258
Likes: 1245 posts
Liked in: 1492 posts
Joined: May 10th, 2011, 9:08 pm

Next

Return to Bickering Room

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 0 guests