Mikhaila Peterson and the All Meat Diet

The forum's Skid Road. DO NOT ENTER unless you're ready for a squabble.

Mikhaila Peterson and the All Meat Diet

Postby Glacier » Jan 7th, 2019, 9:54 am

Mikhaila Peterson and her father, Jordan Peterson, only eat meat because it's the only way they can keep the depression and autoimmune conditions under control.

Language warning

“Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die”
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Liked in: 12262 posts

Re: Mikhaila Peterson and the All Meat Diet

Postby Leifer » Jan 7th, 2019, 10:55 am

To each their own.

People really need to experiment and find their own "sweet spot" when it comes to diet.
The traditional "Western" diet that is killing us all really needs to be looked at as harmful (like smoking, drugs, drinking alcohol). Obesity, cancer, diabetes, IBS...the list goes on and on.

I stay away from Carbs and sugar (lifestyle choice rather than fad dieting).
It has served me well over the years. I still get the occasional craving for bread/potatoes/rice/whatever....but a little personal discipline can get you past that.

Exercising regularly (just one hard hour a day) goes a long way as well. :up:
Two essential strategies for success.

1) Never reveal all you know
2)

2 people like this post.
Leifer
Board Meister

Liked in: 1135 posts

Postby Jonrox » Jan 7th, 2019, 11:14 am

I'm with Leifer on this.

After doing a lot of research and watching several documentaries I'm convinced sugar is one of the worst things you can put in your body.

2 people like this post.
Jonrox
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 2439 posts

Postby jimmy4321 » Jan 7th, 2019, 11:33 am

Lean protein and veggies is how i feel my best, unfortunately I love almost all food.
jimmy4321
Guru

Liked in: 2325 posts

Postby Silverstarqueen » Jan 7th, 2019, 3:04 pm

Arthritis caused by Celiac disease is rare. A little more common for people with Crohn's. So there was no special reason for her doctors to suspect that she had celiac disease.
The easiest way to tell what foods work or don't work is to eliminate certain ones and add them back. The food allergy tests are generally not that accurate.
I did an elimination diet and found no difference at all with or without gluten, soy, dairy,nuts, eggs. Sugar and carbs however, big problems there. So it's different strokes for different folks.
Silverstarqueen
Guru

Liked in: 2309 posts

Postby Jlabute » Jan 7th, 2019, 3:12 pm

A high sugar diet is bad. A high protein diet might be bad. A balanced diet is better. All the above without physical exercise is next to worthless.
Justin Trudeau? NO! Trust in Judo!

3 people like this post.
Jlabute
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1701 posts

Postby GordonH » Jan 7th, 2019, 5:35 pm

Jlabute wrote:A high sugar diet is bad exactly, along with high sodium is bad. A high protein diet might be bad. A balanced diet is better. All the above without physical exercise is next to worthless.

Protein plus good carbs with a good physical exercise routine, should equal day to day health.
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you. John Spence

Smurf likes this post.
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 8922 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby Grandan » Jan 8th, 2019, 7:44 pm

I started on a Ketogenic diet at the beginning of December. I stopped all sugar and alcohol after watching a few videos by Dr Robert Lustig, http://www.robertlustig.com/ Dr Eric Berg and Ivor Cummins http://www.thefatemperor.com/videos-/
among others.
These guys go into the science of how and why the Ketogenic diet works. There is discussion about High Fructose sugar and it's relatives.
The statistics on what a high carbohydrate does to humans and lab rats is well documented.
It is not an easy thing to change .
You need fibre, lots of it. 7 cups of salad is recommended daily.
Waste not
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 982 posts

Postby Silverstarqueen » Jan 8th, 2019, 8:48 pm

Of course Keto has worked for many people.
But there are other diets which also work as well or better for other people.
It has been shown that the diet that works best for someone, is the one that works best for that particular person.
And it's not the same diet for everyone.
Some people swear by vegan , some feel terrible on it, others swear they feel better with or without soy, with or without dairy, meat, you name it.
I think everyone feels better without sugar, but some have problems with fruit, or grains.
I knew a mother whose kids reacted to certain meats (even if not processed).
So it's trial and error for most people.
There is no one diet that works for everyone.

OKkayak likes this post.
Silverstarqueen
Guru

Liked in: 2309 posts

Postby Glacier » Jan 8th, 2019, 10:09 pm

I'm going on the all beer diet for the next 6 months. It is said to improve your posting ability so worth a try.
“Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die”

4 people like this post.
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Liked in: 12262 posts

Postby 1nick » Jan 8th, 2019, 10:20 pm

And your driving.
I dunno man, pretty sure that guy’s batsh$t crazy
1nick
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1008 posts

Postby Mordu » Jan 9th, 2019, 10:58 am

Glacier wrote:I'm going on the all beer diet for the next 6 months. It is said to improve your posting ability so worth a try.

It’s the ‘Christian’ thing to do.

But I guess Benjamin Franklin never claimed, “God made beer because he loves us and wants us to be happy.”

It seems he may have been a wino.

http://www.fi.edu/benjamin-franklin/7-t ... never-said
Mordu
Board Meister

Liked in: 214 posts

Postby Grandan » Jan 9th, 2019, 12:15 pm

Silverstarqueen wrote:Of course Keto has worked for many people.
But there are other diets which also work as well or better for other people.
It has been shown that the diet that works best for someone, is the one that works best for that particular person.
And it's not the same diet for everyone.
Some people swear by vegan , some feel terrible on it, others swear they feel better with or without soy, with or without dairy, meat, you name it.
I think everyone feels better without sugar, but some have problems with fruit, or grains.
I knew a mother whose kids reacted to certain meats (even if not processed).
So it's trial and error for most people.
There is no one diet that works for everyone.

It is all science not by guess or by gosh. There are studies that involved hundred of thousands of people over the period of 10 years that looked at blood work and incidence of disease. The ultimate outcome after all is to have good health for your entire life and not to die an untimely death.
Hands down sugar, alcohol and refined carbohydrates have been implicated in metabolic syndrome which includes diseases such as diabetes, heart disease, dementia, obesity, insulin resistance and cancer to name a few.
This is beyond debate. There is no safe amount of sugar that can be used in a diet.
Finely ground flour acts the same way as sugar. If you are snacking throughout the day because you are ravenously hungry between meals that means you have a sugar addiction.
If you have belly fat it means you have insulin resistance with all the fat that came directly from sugar or carbs and that fat deposits amongst you organs. Since you are continuing to pile on carbs and sugars, the fat that is stored is never burned and continues to accumulate.
The objective is to reverse that trend by eating mostly vegetables with a prescribed amount of protein and a higher amount of dietary fat, the good fat such as olive oil, avocado oil and fatty fish from the sea.
Contrary to popular belief, fat does not make fat unless ingested in excessive amounts but rather it is converted into glycogen which is the fuel you need for your brain. Your brain is specifically designed to run on glycogen however it can run on glucose but when that small store is used then you will be ravenously hungry until you get more sugar.
If you follow the links to the research and take the time to watch the videos you will begin to understand the science.
I doubt that other diets work as well as a correctly executed ketogenic diet but please enlighten me if you can point to research which contradicts that view.
Waste not

Jonrox likes this post.
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby Jonrox » Jan 9th, 2019, 4:57 pm

Since going keto almost a year ago, I feel so much better than I used to. My energy levels are higher and more stable throughout the day. I enjoy the foods I eat and don't feel restricted at all. I don't get hungry during the day... I don't really snack anymore. I can intermittent fast with absolutely no problem if I want/need to. I can long-term fast without too much trouble (this is an entirely other discussion that's also worth having... there are tremendous benefits to it).

If you like chicken wings, bacon, avocado, and cheese... keto can definitely work for you.

The biggest challenge I initially faced was breaking my addiction to sugar (most people are addicted without realizing it... I was). The first 2 weeks of keto was about the worst I've felt in a long time... terrible headaches, lethargic, and overall just feeling crappy. There's a reason they call it the "keto flu".

The second most surprising thing was seeing how much sugar is in nearly everything you buy at the grocery store... things you'd never think were loaded full of it. Things that we've been made to believe are healthy for us. Even if you don't go keto, just cutting sugar from your diet is the single most important thing you can do for yourself.

Grandan likes this post.
Jonrox
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 2439 posts

Postby Grandan » Jan 9th, 2019, 6:47 pm

Jonrox wrote:Since going keto almost a year ago, I feel so much better than I used to. My energy levels are higher and more stable throughout the day. I enjoy the foods I eat and don't feel restricted at all. I don't get hungry during the day... I don't really snack anymore. I can intermittent fast with absolutely no problem if I want/need to. I can long-term fast without too much trouble (this is an entirely other discussion that's also worth having... there are tremendous benefits to it).

If you like chicken wings, bacon, avocado, and cheese... keto can definitely work for you.

The biggest challenge I initially faced was breaking my addiction to sugar (most people are addicted without realizing it... I was). The first 2 weeks of keto was about the worst I've felt in a long time... terrible headaches, lethargic, and overall just feeling crappy. There's a reason they call it the "keto flu".

The second most surprising thing was seeing how much sugar is in nearly everything you buy at the grocery store... things you'd never think were loaded full of it. Things that we've been made to believe are healthy for us. Even if you don't go keto, just cutting sugar from your diet is the single most important thing you can do for yourself.

Even better is to cut out refined flour and similar products particularly those with sugar in them. Also all sweetened drinks and alcohol, the risk is not worth it. Metabolic disorders now make up 75% of disease, Alzheimers disease being the most devastating for families. Thanks to research there is recovery possible.
Waste not
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Next

Return to Bickering Room