Mikhaila Peterson and the All Meat Diet

The forum's Skid Road. DO NOT ENTER unless you're ready for a squabble.

Re: Mikhaila Peterson and the All Meat Diet

Postby Silverstarqueen » Jan 11th, 2019, 9:20 am

Grandan wrote:
Silverstarqueen wrote:Of course Keto has worked for many people.
But there are other diets which also work as well or better for other people.
It has been shown that the diet that works best for someone, is the one that works best for that particular person.
And it's not the same diet for everyone.
Some people swear by vegan , some feel terrible on it, others swear they feel better with or without soy, with or without dairy, meat, you name it.
I think everyone feels better without sugar, but some have problems with fruit, or grains.
I knew a mother whose kids reacted to certain meats (even if not processed).
So it's trial and error for most people.
There is no one diet that works for everyone.

It is all science not by guess or by gosh. There are studies that involved hundred of thousands of people over the period of 10 years that looked at blood work and incidence of disease. The ultimate outcome after all is to have good health for your entire life and not to die an untimely death.
Hands down sugar, alcohol and refined carbohydrates have been implicated in metabolic syndrome which includes diseases such as diabetes, heart disease, dementia, obesity, insulin resistance and cancer to name a few.
This is beyond debate. There is no safe amount of sugar that can be used in a diet.
Finely ground flour acts the same way as sugar. If you are snacking throughout the day because you are ravenously hungry between meals that means you have a sugar addiction.
If you have belly fat it means you have insulin resistance with all the fat that came directly from sugar or carbs and that fat deposits amongst you organs. Since you are continuing to pile on carbs and sugars, the fat that is stored is never burned and continues to accumulate.
The objective is to reverse that trend by eating mostly vegetables with a prescribed amount of protein and a higher amount of dietary fat, the good fat such as olive oil, avocado oil and fatty fish from the sea.
Contrary to popular belief, fat does not make fat unless ingested in excessive amounts but rather it is converted into glycogen which is the fuel you need for your brain. Your brain is specifically designed to run on glycogen however it can run on glucose but when that small store is used then you will be ravenously hungry until you get more sugar.
If you follow the links to the research and take the time to watch the videos you will begin to understand the science.
I doubt that other diets work as well as a correctly executed ketogenic diet but please enlighten me if you can point to research which contradicts that view.

People who have healthy livers and pancreas are easily able to eat sugar, fruit, grains and starchy vegetables, tons of beans and lentils. Literally billions of people have survived on diets using these as staples. As far as your body is concerned the sugar from fruit is not different than the carbs in rice or wheat cereal, beans, or potatoes. You can test the blood sugars of most of these people and they will be completely normal. Not so for people with metabolic syndrome, insulin resistance, prediabetes, fatty liver disease, early pancreas failure. So it's still, different diets work better for different people. IT doesn't matter if I eat so-called "good carbs", my blood sugar will go higher than someone who is metabolically normal (less than a person who has no pancreas function ). I am not overweight, I exercise, I was slim for most of my life, my doctor says I am perfectly healthy. (obviously not). I am guessing there's some kind of genetic predisposition to not handling sugars or carbs very well. But a person might not realize it until their pancreas is already half destroyed.

The same debate comes up over salty foods. Some people are genetically blessed, or their kidneys are working well, and can eat far more salt that others. They are "salt wasters". If I don't get enough salt I can't function. Someone else, if they eat much salt, will have high blood pressure which in the long run is very bad for blood vessels and kidneys. My sister had high blood pressure and died of heart disease. I do not, and am apparently healthy in that department. Just a different shake of the genes.
Silverstarqueen
Guru

Liked in: 2168 posts

Postby Grandan » Jan 11th, 2019, 7:13 pm

Silverstarqueen wrote:
People who have healthy livers and pancreas are easily able to eat sugar, fruit, grains and starchy vegetables, tons of beans and lentils. Literally billions of people have survived on diets using these as staples. As far as your body is concerned the sugar from fruit is not different than the carbs in rice or wheat cereal, beans, or potatoes. You can test the blood sugars of most of these people and they will be completely normal. Not so for people with metabolic syndrome, insulin resistance, prediabetes, fatty liver disease, early pancreas failure. So it's still, different diets work better for different people. IT doesn't matter if I eat so-called "good carbs", my blood sugar will go higher than someone who is metabolically normal (less than a person who has no pancreas function ). I am not overweight, I exercise, I was slim for most of my life, my doctor says I am perfectly healthy. (obviously not). I am guessing there's some kind of genetic predisposition to not handling sugars or carbs very well. But a person might not realize it until their pancreas is already half destroyed.

The same debate comes up over salty foods. Some people are genetically blessed, or their kidneys are working well, and can eat far more salt that others. They are "salt wasters". If I don't get enough salt I can't function. Someone else, if they eat much salt, will have high blood pressure which in the long run is very bad for blood vessels and kidneys. My sister had high blood pressure and died of heart disease. I do not, and am apparently healthy in that department. Just a different shake of the genes.

It is easy to get away with sugar and carbs in your diet when you are young but as time passes, despite blood sugars that are normal, fasting insulin will tell you something more. The fact is that your body become insulin resistant with the constant bombardment of sugar and refined carbs. All Alzheimer patients have insulin resistance.
By the time that cognitive decline appears the damage is done. You don't have to be overweight to be insulin resistant. Obesity does not cause disease but is a symptom of an underlying problem.
I watched an interview with this guy and after 27 years of study he is on the cutting edge of understanding what the causes of Alzheimer Disease are:
https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/book ... 735216204/
Last edited by Grandan on Jan 12th, 2019, 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Waste not
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 945 posts

Postby Gixxer » Jan 11th, 2019, 9:17 pm

I started keto back in 2013 and dropped a lot of weight fast. I basically ate a keto diet till 2017. I made alot of mistakes in those 4 years. Being a butter chugger (bulletproof coffee) was one of them. Also eating huge amounts of fat and not enough of protein. I started losing muscle. Keto is great but there is so much bad information out. Now that its trendy and mainstream Im seeing more start up companies selling garbage claiming its keto or their coaching services when they really have no clue what they're talking about.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1562 posts

Postby OKkayak » Jan 12th, 2019, 12:57 am

Gixxer wrote:I started keto back in 2013 and dropped a lot of weight fast. I basically ate a keto diet till 2017. I made alot of mistakes in those 4 years. Being a butter chugger (bulletproof coffee) was one of them. Also eating huge amounts of fat and not enough of protein. I started losing muscle. Keto is great but there is so much bad information out. Now that its trendy and mainstream Im seeing more start up companies selling garbage claiming its keto or their coaching services when they really have no clue what they're talking about.

I think the Keto diet, for the most part, is pretty decent. It's probably the most natural of diets. But like most diets, it's gotten trendy and out of hand. It would be a pretty good thing to follow until you start adding butter into coffee, thats just silly (no offence to you Gixxer).
OKkayak
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 2161 posts

Postby Gixxer » Jan 12th, 2019, 8:30 am

Ha agreed like I said it was early in my keto years. Now when I hear people new to keto mention mct oil and buttered coffee Im like no no your doing it wrong.

OKkayak likes this post.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Postby Grandan » Jan 12th, 2019, 9:26 am

Gixxer wrote:Ha agreed like I said it was early in my keto years. Now when I hear people new to keto mention mct oil and buttered coffee Im like no no your doing it wrong.

The whole concept of the Ketogenic Diet is to maintain the body in a state of Ketosis, that is the body is burning fat as it's fuel rather than glucose which is depleted within 72 hours. Keto is not high protein because protein is converted sugar in one of the many tricks the body has up it's sleeve. The purpose of the MCT oils is to keep the body from cycling out of ketosis. The only thing you should be consuming in abundance is leafy green vegetables. Carbohydrates and sugar must be kept at a minimum.
For lack of a better explantion, the Keto diet of old has been refined to it's new model of far less protein and more fat and vegetables. Fat helps you bridge from one meal to the next. You brain runs more efficiently on fat, it's in our genes to do so, part of evolution.
Waste not
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 945 posts

Postby Silverstarqueen » Jan 12th, 2019, 2:09 pm

Grandan wrote:
Silverstarqueen wrote:

It is easy to get away with sugar and carbs in your diet when you are young but as time passes, despite blood sugars that are normal, fasting insulin will tell you something more. The fact is that your body become insulin resistant with the constant bombardment of sugar and refined carbs. All Alzheimer patients have insulin resistance.
By the time that cognitive decline appears the damage is done. You don't have to be overweight to be insulin resistant. Obesity does not cause disease but is a symptom of an underlying problem.
I watched an interview with this guy and after 27 years of study he is on the cutting edge of understanding what the causes of Alzheimer Disease are:
https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/book ... 735216204/

Until we look at the Okinawans, large percentage of carbs, lower fat and protein, very healthy, long-lived individuals.
No "fat bombs" or "protein loading" , far, far less alzheimer's and functionality into their elder years. They seem to be andling the high carb diet for their entire lives.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4916345/
Silverstarqueen
Guru

Postby Gixxer » Jan 12th, 2019, 3:06 pm

Grandan wrote:The whole concept of the Ketogenic Diet is to maintain the body in a state of Ketosis, that is the body is burning fat as it's fuel rather than glucose which is depleted within 72 hours. Keto is not high protein because protein is converted sugar in one of the many tricks the body has up it's sleeve. The purpose of the MCT oils is to keep the body from cycling out of ketosis. The only thing you should be consuming in abundance is leafy green vegetables. Carbohydrates and sugar must be kept at a minimum.
For lack of a better explantion, the Keto diet of old has been refined to it's new model of far less protein and more fat and vegetables. Fat helps you bridge from one meal to the next. You brain runs more efficiently on fat, it's in our genes to do so, part of evolution.

Ugh here we go. Keto is low carb below 20 grams a day. Some can get away with 50 grams and still be a in a state of ketosis. Bahaha the old protein converts to sugar. Only true if a person consumes mass amounts of it. You don't need MCT oil to keep your body in ketosis.

If your goal is to lose body fat and maintain or build muscle while remaining in a state of ketosis whats the best option higher protein and low fat, or high fat low protein ?

If a person has excess body fat to lose what would make more sense too consume lots of fat or to restrict it?

Better yet tell me what your macros are and we can go from there.
Last edited by Gixxer on Jan 12th, 2019, 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Postby RustyCrayon » Jan 12th, 2019, 3:30 pm

There was a very interesting show on CBC Radio today about Doctors getting onboard with the Keto diet:

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/whitecoat/doctors-who-champion-low-carb-high-fat-diets-go-against-the-grain-1.4974730
RustyCrayon
Fledgling

Liked in: 405 posts

Postby Silverstarqueen » Jan 12th, 2019, 4:22 pm

For Tv personalities (doctors) I wonder how many are playing to the fad and fascination of the keto diet. Yes, it works for weight loss (for some). There is also a lot of research about problems with high fat diets. but since you aren't going to convince people to restrict calories, sure, maybe keep your customers by promoting that.
I don't think there's nearly enough research to indicate what is best, or at the least it's conflicting.
Many studies have shown that animals of all kinds live longer if given calorie restricted diets (which doesn't sound like high fat to me). For my own little self, I cannot maintain the best weight on a keto diet, so it's out for me.
For me the best one (doctor recommended) is high protein, moderate fat, low carb, but you still don't just eat tons of whatever food is allowed, you have to eat in moderation. Then my blood sugar is normal, and I feel fine. If I went higher fat, I don't feel good. Even if protein is converted to carbs (which it is), it's doesn't give the blood sugar spike that I get from carbs, and doesn't grind my system to a halt like high fat does.
Might be great for someone else tho, so I'm not knocking keto for those who feel it works for them.
intermittant fasting: the odd time I had to fast e.g. for surgery, I had no problem doing it, but the nurse got distressed as my blood sugar went too low. It's not something I would want to subject myself to regularly. I have much better control of my eating if it is a regular time and amount per meal/per day. And I didn't lose an oz. on the days that I had to fast before, during and after surgery. No not going to help me lose weight either. And I certainly would not have been able to do a day's work, or exercise normally if I was fasting.
I once tried an 800 calorie a day diet. Sure it can be done. But I didn't lose weight, and I didn't feel good, and definitely would not have been able to function.

Gixxer likes this post.
Silverstarqueen
Guru

Postby OKkayak » Jan 13th, 2019, 12:44 am

A healthy diet isn't rocket science. Carb this, sugar that, blah, blah, blah, too many people get all caught up in what ever the latest trend is. Just eat a good variety of food, keep it in moderation, cut back on the processed *bleep*, get a bit of exercise and all is good for regular folks with normal dietary needs.

seewood likes this post.
OKkayak
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby Silverstarqueen » Jan 13th, 2019, 7:47 am

OKkayak wrote:A healthy diet isn't rocket science. Carb this, sugar that, blah, blah, blah, too many people get all caught up in what ever the latest trend is. Just eat a good variety of food, keep it in moderation, cut back on the processed *bleep*, get a bit of exercise and all is good for regular folks with normal dietary needs.

One in four Canadians is obese, and another at least 1 in four is overweight. The human body, ultimately is designed to load up on extra calories to stave off future periods of starvation. Otherwise humans would have gone extinct long ago. So just eating a good variety of food and getting a bit of exercise isn't going to help them lose the excess weight, since they would have to eat 1000 cals a day or less. If people knew what worked they would do it. When I was much slimmer, I could literally eat anything in as much as I could eat, no weight gain. I tried it just for the heckuvit. My family used to tease me," Just wait, remember Auntie Tillie, she used to be very slim too. She was jumping the farm fence at 18, LOL". Doctors are no help. Most overweight people are not going to lose much weight unless they seriously restrict calories for an extended period of time, for the rest of their lives. All the people who can eat normally, think it is easy to do that, but not many have actually tried it.

You should try eating half or 3/4 your normal intake for a few months. Let us know how it goes.
Silverstarqueen
Guru

Postby OKkayak » Jan 13th, 2019, 12:59 pm

Silverstarqueen wrote:
One in four Canadians is obese, and another at least 1 in four is overweight. The human body, ultimately is designed to load up on extra calories to stave off future periods of starvation. Otherwise humans would have gone extinct long ago. So just eating a good variety of food and getting a bit of exercise isn't going to help them lose the excess weight, since they would have to eat 1000 cals a day or less. If people knew what worked they would do it. When I was much slimmer, I could literally eat anything in as much as I could eat, no weight gain. I tried it just for the heckuvit. My family used to tease me," Just wait, remember Auntie Tillie, she used to be very slim too. She was jumping the farm fence at 18, LOL". Doctors are no help. Most overweight people are not going to lose much weight unless they seriously restrict calories for an extended period of time, for the rest of their lives. All the people who can eat normally, think it is easy to do that, but not many have actually tried it.

You should try eating half or 3/4 your normal intake for a few months. Let us know how it goes.

This is exactly my point, you're over complicating the most basic of things. Diets are trendy and big business and every year there's a new "ground breaking" fad.

Calories and weight are just numbers, yet people are being obsessed with them and thats where the problems start. They're guidelines, not goals or rules.
OKkayak
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby Bikes » Jan 13th, 2019, 1:12 pm

Grandan wrote:
Silverstarqueen wrote:Of course Keto has worked for many people.
But there are other diets which also work as well or better for other people.
It has been shown that the diet that works best for someone, is the one that works best for that particular person.
And it's not the same diet for everyone.
Some people swear by vegan , some feel terrible on it, others swear they feel better with or without soy, with or without dairy, meat, you name it.
I think everyone feels better without sugar, but some have problems with fruit, or grains.
I knew a mother whose kids reacted to certain meats (even if not processed).
So it's trial and error for most people.
There is no one diet that works for everyone.

It is all science not by guess or by gosh. There are studies that involved hundred of thousands of people over the period of 10 years that looked at blood work and incidence of disease. The ultimate outcome after all is to have good health for your entire life and not to die an untimely death.
Hands down sugar, alcohol and refined carbohydrates have been implicated in metabolic syndrome which includes diseases such as diabetes, heart disease, dementia, obesity, insulin resistance and cancer to name a few.
This is beyond debate. There is no safe amount of sugar that can be used in a diet.
Finely ground flour acts the same way as sugar. If you are snacking throughout the day because you are ravenously hungry between meals that means you have a sugar addiction.
If you have belly fat it means you have insulin resistance with all the fat that came directly from sugar or carbs and that fat deposits amongst you organs. Since you are continuing to pile on carbs and sugars, the fat that is stored is never burned and continues to accumulate.
The objective is to reverse that trend by eating mostly vegetables with a prescribed amount of protein and a higher amount of dietary fat, the good fat such as olive oil, avocado oil and fatty fish from the sea.
Contrary to popular belief, fat does not make fat unless ingested in excessive amounts but rather it is converted into glycogen which is the fuel you need for your brain. Your brain is specifically designed to run on glycogen however it can run on glucose but when that small store is used then you will be ravenously hungry until you get more sugar.
If you follow the links to the research and take the time to watch the videos you will begin to understand the science.
I doubt that other diets work as well as a correctly executed ketogenic diet but please enlighten me if you can point to research which contradicts that view.

No matter what the facts are....
People only hear when they are ready to hear.
It is a weird anomaly about the human experience.
until they are ready they just deny, ignore, vacillate, obviate.....
I learned.
Literally billions will still die of insulin resistance and they don't care.
Be glad that you learned and that you can help those that you love.
Bikes

Liked in: 44 posts

Postby Bikes » Jan 13th, 2019, 1:28 pm

!!!!!!FASTING CAN AND WILL SAVE YOUR LIFE OR THE LIFE OF SOME ONE YOU LOVE!!!!!!

WATER AND SALT ONLY!

there is no such thing as a cleanse Period!
The only thing that works is autophagy. That takes at least 36 hours of no insulin in the body, then an enduring sate of Ketosis and ZERO...... I repeat.... 0 CALORIES!

For those who are still deluded and think that we need constant food to live.
this man went 382 days without a single calorie. Many people have gone for two months or more.

you must lose all the lies you have been told about food.

https://www.menshealth.com/health/a1953 ... diet-ever/

No one makes money.
you spend no money.
It saves your life.

here are the undeniable facts.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAohrr ... 5QF1WlM9_w

reversing diabetes
https://blog.virtahealth.com/dr-sarah-h ... -diabetes/

If you love your family and you are over weight even a few pounds.
Please Please Please look into fasting!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIuj-oMN-Fk
Bikes

Liked in: 44 posts

PreviousNext

Return to Bickering Room