Liberal Party.

Discuss the upcoming provincial election. Keep it civil in here, people. It's not the Political Arena.
Alvis
Board Meister

Re: Liberal Party.

Post by Alvis »

Smurf wrote::rate10:

And the current Liberals have to be possibly the worst I have ever seen. That is why we must get rid of them and any sucessors who follow the same trail until they get the idea. Somehow we must get back to a government who governs openly for the people. Maybe we never have had or never will but we should at least try to get it headed in that direction because as you say we have drifted completely off course and it only seems to be getting worse. We the people of Canada have sat back too long and allowed certain entities to gather too much power in politics. Entities that actually should have zero power.

Absolutely correct and I'd like to add: Voting in a bunch of re-branded BC Liberals, who were part of the 2001-2013 disaster, as BC Conservatives is plain old stupid. Expecting these people to behave in a different manner simple because they have a new party name is beyond stupid.

Fortunately the BC Conservative party has so far shown it is unable to govern itself, let alone the whole province.
Man can now fly in the air like a bird, swim under the ocean like a fish, he can burrow into the ground like a mole. Now if only he could walk the earth like a man, this would be paradise.
Tommy Douglas
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Alvis wrote: Voting in a bunch of re-branded BC Liberals, who were part of the 2001-2013 disaster, as BC Conservatives is plain old stupid. Expecting these people to behave in a different manner simple because they have a new party name is beyond stupid.

Just as expecting something other than the same old, same old, from the NDP, which still consists largely of the same brain trust that screwed up last time, is beyond stupid.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Alvis
Board Meister

Post by Alvis »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:
Alvis wrote: Voting in a bunch of re-branded BC Liberals, who were part of the 2001-2013 disaster, as BC Conservatives is plain old stupid. Expecting these people to behave in a different manner simple because they have a new party name is beyond stupid.

Just as expecting something other than the same old, same old, from the NDP, which still consists largely of the same brain trust that screwed up last time, is beyond stupid.

NDP didn't screw us the BC Liberals did.
The mess the BC Lierals caused has been discussed at lenght here. All I can say, pre-BC Liberals life in BC was a hell of alot better than it is now.
Man can now fly in the air like a bird, swim under the ocean like a fish, he can burrow into the ground like a mole. Now if only he could walk the earth like a man, this would be paradise.
Tommy Douglas
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Alvis wrote:All I can say, pre-BC Liberals life in BC was a hell of alot better than it is now.

The only response I can think of to that is, you must have been living with your eyes closed then.

I'm no fan of the Liberals, but I shudder to think where we'd be at had the NDP been at the helm going into the recession, which regardless of what optimistic real estate agents would have people think, we are still in for the most part.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Alvis
Board Meister

Post by Alvis »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:
Alvis wrote:All I can say, pre-BC Liberals life in BC was a hell of alot better than it is now.

The only response I can think of to that is, you must have been living with your eyes closed then.

I'm no fan of the Liberals, but I shudder to think where we'd be at had the NDP been at the helm going into the recession, which regardless of what optimistic real estate agents would have people think, we are still in for the most part.

Here is an an interesting graphic of right vs left. I am sorry it is american but you get the idea. Viva La Right wing.

I live with my eyes open thank you very much. That is how I can recognize the tom foolery of the BC Social Credit/Liberal/Conservative Party.
Tommy Douglas
maple leaf
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by maple leaf »

We can, but we won't
I recall voting Liberal in the 2001 provincial election and for years now, I've been wondering what led me to that regretful choice. Perhaps, I suffered early onset of age-related intellectual impairment but I prefer to believe there were other causes. In search of those, I read through the BC Liberal 2001 Platform. I suspected it would provide clues and it did.

It turns out my error was one of naivety. My mistake was believing what the Liberals said. I provide here a number of their promises and little editorial comment is required. I've held back items related to health and child welfare because those subjects deserve separate attention. What do you think readers, did he work wonders?

It’s time for a New Era of Accountability. Our plan will deliver real transparent, accountable government.
Our Vision: The most open, accountable and democratic government in Canada.
Establish workable initiative legislation, to make it feasible for British Columbians to call for a referendum on issues of province-wide concern that fall within the provincial government’s jurisdiction.
Establish workable recall legislation, to make it easier for citizens to hold MLAs accountable.
Give all MLAs and citizens a better voice in government through active legislative committees.
Hold open Cabinet meetings at least once a month that are televised and broadcast live on the Internet.
Give all government MLAs a meaningful new role in policy development and service planning through a new system of Cabinet decision-making.
Introduce free votes in the Legislature, to allow all MLAs to vote freely on behalf of their constituents on all matters not specifically identified as a vote of confidence.
Not sell or privatize BC Rail.
Vigorously defend the Crown's ownership of provincial land and resources.
Protect BC Hydro and all of core assets, including dams, reservoirs and power lines under public ownership.
Restore an independent BC Utilities Commission, to re-regulate BC Hydro’s electricity rates.
Pass a Living Rivers Act to protect and improve BC’s river systems with scientifically-based standards for watershed management, enhancements to fish habitat, and a 10-year program to correct past damage.
Push for provincial control over the management and revenues of BC’s offshore fisheries, to improve fisheries management and protect fishery jobs.
Adopt a scientifically-based, principled approach to environmental management that ensures sustainability, accountability and responsibility.
You shouldn’t have to pay higher than necessary electricity or auto insurance rates, because government wants to play politics with BC Hydro or ICBC.
Give school boards multi-year funding envelopes, to improve long-term education planning and budgeting.
Ensure that music, arts and physical education curriculums are fully funded in BC’s public schools.
Hold the line on court fees, to ensure that everyone has affordable access to our justice system.
Establish regional transportation authorities that are accountable to local taxpayers and give local communities more control over their transportation needs and planning.
Require taxpayer approval by regional referendums prior to authorization of any new type of TransLink tax or levy.
Outlaw “offloading” of provincial government costs onto the backs of local property taxpayers.
Restore open tendering on government contracts to allow fair competition for businesses and provide better value to taxpayers.
Implement a flexible, innovative program to increase the supply of affordable housing.http://northerninsights.blogspot.ca/201 ... -wont.html
Attachments
viewer-1.jpg
“If I were to remain silent, I’d be guilty of complicity.”
— Albert Einstein__________________________
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

:dyinglaughing: that's good reading
Alvis
Board Meister

Post by Alvis »

Maple Leaf that post really makes me sad. The people of BC should have turfed these idiots in 2005. They didn't. Now there are some who champion the BC Conservative Party which is more of the same and in many cases, made up of the very same people who were in on the big joke that was called "The New Era." Makes you wonder.....

Not
privatize BC Rail? Oh really?
Tommy Douglas
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

Yes but...
If the Liberals make a comeback because of the
Conservatives total failure than
The Green Party could spoil it for the NDP,... AGAIN!
maple leaf
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by maple leaf »

Alvis wrote:Maple Leaf that post really makes me sad. The people of BC should have turfed these idiots in 2005. They didn't. Now there are some who champion the BC Conservative Party which is more of the same and in many cases, made up of the very same people who were in on the big joke that was called "The New Era." Makes you wonder.....

Not
privatize BC Rail? Oh really?

I agree,pretty much the same thing. It seems to me the right,, along with the help of the media are trying to do every thing they can to keep them all under one umbrella .Discredit the Conservative party and eliminate a split of the right vote.It will be the only way they will ever be elected again.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

George+ wrote:Yes but...
If the Liberals make a comeback because of the
Conservatives total failure than
The Green Party could spoil it for the NDP,... AGAIN!

George is sweatin' now, eh?

Latest poll shows Christy is more popular than Memo Forger. People are indeed coming to their senses (well, most people).
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

No.

They don't.

http://bc2013.com/
maple leaf
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by maple leaf »

Added to the list is the latest sleazy insider Liberal report done to cover up and make them look better than they are .A Self serving government looking after no one else but themselves.

Words describing the liberal party that keep coming up ,such as incompetent,mismanagement,lies,deceit,malfeasant.Thought I would make a list of what this currant government has under taken to deserve such description .Please feel free to add to the list,it is only what I could think of, off the top of my head.

The most open, accountable and democratic government in Canada.Yet are in court spending thousands upon thousands loosing court cases ,like over ripping up contracts and hiding info from the Auditor general on the BC rail sale.

promises of tax cuts with one side of their mouths,then take it back with things like MSP premiums and carbon tax,hurting the middle class the most.

Liberals reverse the changes to MLA pensions that had been made by the NDP,once again giving MLA's gold plated pensions.

Liberals vote themselves big raises while insisting everyone else settles for 0%

Medical care when and were you need it,was the election promise.Cutting and slashing many medical services,mostly hurting people such as special needs and seniors.

Stop the endless bureaucratic restructuring that has drained resources from children and family services,was the promises.Gave CLBC managers big bonuses for kicking the most vulnerable to the curb,then tell us they cancelled the bonuses to later we find out they got it anyway under wages.

Vancouver convention centre, we where told would cost 495 million ballooned to 883,2 million. Campbell picked B.C. Liberal insiders to be project leaders. The board was chaired by his deputy minister, and included a former Liberal party president. According to the Auditor General, "from the beginning the board lacked a member with the appropriate expertise for a project of this specialized nature."

Not sell or privatize BC Rail.We all know how that went.

Kinsella is alleged to have been involved in entering the $505 million dollar BC Rail tax indemnity (refund) on the books at 255 million. The sale of BC Rail included a $505 million BC Rail tax indemnity on top of $750 million cash and $250 million in direct tax credits. Under the terms of the indemnity, If CN is not refunded the amount of the indemnity from the Federal Government, the Province will return this amount. This reduces the sale price of BC Rail from $1.05 billion to around $500 million. The BC Rail tax indemnity was taken off the Public Accounts in January 2005, before the May 2005 election, when it was reclassified a contingent liability. The BC Rail sale Annual Report was defective and did not cite the indemnity, and recorded these tax credits at zero bookvalue.[29]
snip from wikipedia.

Paid 6 million to convicted criminals ,which should only be paid to not guilty parties.

30 million payout to fix the bungling of an uranium mine application.

ICBC rates increase while managers get big bonuses,and government raids funds for general revenue.

Changing rules on IPP 's to make Hydro buy their power first at up to 4 times the rate hydro can produce it for.

HST not on the radar,then spending millions on miss leading stick man adds giving half biased truths.

Wasted hundreds of thousands amusing corporate big wigs at the Olympics,promising us thousands of jobs and business as a result,never happened.

Sea to sky highway will not cost no more than 600 million says Collen Hansen.User vehicle charges to the tune of 63 million every year for contracts over 25 years ,over and above 600 million.

looses 35 million to name BC place

Replaces BC place roof which still had life for 20 more years.We were told it would cost 100-150 million.But in march 2008 it became 365 million,then in Nov it became 458 million,then by 2010 it was 563 million.

The Campbell government admitted that during the most recent election they suppressed information showing the number of people in BC forced to apply for welfare had increased by 10,000. The information was released shortly after the election http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columb ... es-up.html

Liberal's own fudget-budget Before the 2009 election ,the liberals lead us to believe the deficit was 495 million ,then after the election it was discovered to really be 2.7 billion .

Kash Heed breaks Election rules and yet is a sitting MLA.Liberals seam to be above the law.

Shady back room deals to get the Liberals to privatize liquor transportation,With no business plan to do so.
Government book keeping so bad the Auditor general shakes head as can't make sense of them.

Contractual obligations increased by 300 % since 2005/2006 from 34 billion to now 96 billion.The provincial debt reported to be 51 billion.For a total of 146 billion in debt.

Continues to cancel fall sittings of the legislature,were they can be held accountable for their policies and taken to task for their responsibility to the tax payers in the ministries they control.

The most open, accountable and democratic government in Canada.Yet are in court spending thousands upon thousands loosing court cases ,like over ripping up contracts and hiding info from the Auditor general on the BC rail sale.

promises of tax cuts with one side of their mouths,then take it back with things like MSP premiums and carbon tax,hurting the middle class the most.

Liberals reverse the changes to MLA pensions that had been made by the NDP,once again giving MLA's gold plated pensions.

Liberals vote themselves big raises while insisting everyone else settles for 0%

Medical care when and were you need it,was the election promise.Cutting and slashing many medical services,mostly hurting people such as special needs and seniors.

Stop the endless bureaucratic restructuring that has drained resources from children and family services,was the promises.Gave CLBC managers big bonuses for kicking the most vulnerable to the curb,then tell us they cancelled the bonuses to later we find out they got it anyway under wages.

Vancouver convention centre, we where told would cost 495 million ballooned to 883,2 million. Campbell picked B.C. Liberal insiders to be project leaders. The board was chaired by his deputy minister, and included a former Liberal party president. According to the Auditor General, "from the beginning the board lacked a member with the appropriate expertise for a project of this specialized nature."

Not sell or privatize BC Rail.We all know how that went.

Kinsella is alleged to have been involved in entering the $505 million dollar BC Rail tax indemnity (refund) on the books at 255 million. The sale of BC Rail included a $505 million BC Rail tax indemnity on top of $750 million cash and $250 million in direct tax credits. Under the terms of the indemnity, If CN is not refunded the amount of the indemnity from the Federal Government, the Province will return this amount. This reduces the sale price of BC Rail from $1.05 billion to around $500 million. The BC Rail tax indemnity was taken off the Public Accounts in January 2005, before the May 2005 election, when it was reclassified a contingent liability. The BC Rail sale Annual Report was defective and did not cite the indemnity, and recorded these tax credits at zero bookvalue.[29]
snip from wikipedia.

Paid 6 million to convicted criminals ,which should only be paid to not guilty parties.

30 million payout to fix the bungling of an uranium mine application.

ICBC rates increase while managers get big bonuses,and government raids funds for general revenue.

Changing rules on IPP 's to make Hydro buy their power first at up to 4 times the rate hydro can produce it for.

HST not on the radar,then spending millions on miss leading stick man adds giving half biased truths.

Wasted hundreds of thousands amusing corporate big wigs at the Olympics,promising us thousands of jobs and business as a result,never happened.

Sea to sky highway will not cost no more than 600 million says Collen Hansen.User vehicle charges to the tune of 63 million every year for contracts over 25 years ,over and above 600 million.

looses 35 million to name BC place

Replaces BC place roof which still had life for 20 more years.We were told it would cost 100-150 million.But in march 2008 it became 365 million,then in Nov it became 458 million,then by 2010 it was 563 million.

The Campbell government admitted that during the most recent election they suppressed information showing the number of people in BC forced to apply for welfare had increased by 10,000. The information was released shortly after the election http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columb ... es-up.html

Liberal's own fudget-budget Before the 2009 election ,the liberals lead us to believe the deficit was 495 million ,then after the election it was discovered to really be 2.7 billion .

Kash Heed breaks Election rules and yet is a sitting MLA.Liberals seam to be above the law.

Shady back room deals to get the Liberals to privatize liquor transportation,With no business plan to do so.
Government book keeping so bad the Auditor general shakes head as can't make sense of them.

Contractual obligations increased by 300 % since 2005/2006 from 34 billion to now 96 billion.The provincial debt reported to be 51 billion.For a total of 146 billion in debt.

Continues to cancel fall sittings of the legislature,were they can be held accountable for their policies and taken to task for their responsibility to the tax payers in the ministries they control.

Liberal insiders manipulating Burnaby Hospital report says NDP
Emails show Liberals appointees blaming health authority for problems, says critic
The B.C. NDP says Liberal party insiders are using "sleazy tactics" to manipulate the findings of a public consultation committee looking at the future of Burnaby Hospital.
NDP Health Critic Mike Farnworth says a committee formed back in April to look at the future of Burnaby Hospital was supposed to be impartial and unbiased, but he says it's been anything but that
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... mails.html
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

Very good points.

CUE the NDP 'crisis' years whiners! Strangely quiet so far.

I am copying all of the above points for the next....????
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Sigh. Another copy-paste from Fat Alex. I guess when you have all day to dream up BS, you can come up with truckloads of the stuff.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.

Return to “B.C. Provincial Election 2013”