BC Conservative Party option.

Discuss the upcoming provincial election. Keep it civil in here, people. It's not the Political Arena.
ScottSA
Fledgling

Re: BC Conservative Party option.

Post by ScottSA »

NAB wrote:You still don't get the point do you Scott? In my opinion Dil-Bit should not go ANYWHERE distant from it's source (Alberta Oil Sands area) until it is first upgraded into a product (synthetic oil) that standard refineries wherever can use. Build a pipeline to transport the upgraded product by all means if it passes regulations, but also by government regulation prohibit pipelines from carrying dil-bit across BC and onto our coastal waters. And the very last thing we need in BC IMO is a bitumen upgrader and a dil-bit pipeline to feed it. Leave that part of it to Alberta.

LOL, the mental picture I get is similar to that of a potato farmer digging up his potato field and shipping it dirt and all to some far away facility where they take out the potatos, send them on to the potato chip maker, and are left having to deal with all the dirt they got from the farmer.

I'm afraid the mental picture I get according to your prescription is the potatoes rotting in the field because no one wants to touch the icky dirt. You're more than welcome to invest in a company that will undertake your proposal, but I suspect if it were economically feasible to do it that way it would already be done that way. Hey, I'm all for refining it first, although I'd prefer to do that in BC so we reap the benefits, but reality has a way of intruding on all good ideas.
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

You still don't appear to get it. I suggest you do some research on the difference between the steps required to get bitumen from the ground to finished products such as gasoline and those required for conventional crude oil. Do you even know what an upgrader is and where it fits in? And why bitumen should not be transported by pipeline before it has been upgraded to much the equivalent of conventional crude oil so it can then be refined in the normal manner?

Perhaps this will help so we don't perpetuated the notion that bitumen can be fed directly to a conventional refinery like conventional crude. In fact, I think it was reported recently that a new upgrader for bitumen has just been given the go-ahead in Alberta. Cost somewhere around 6 billion dollars.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upgrader

Nab
ScottSA
Fledgling

Post by ScottSA »

NAB wrote:You still don't appear to get it. I suggest you do some research on the difference between the steps required to get bitumen from the ground to finished products such as gasoline and those required for conventional crude oil. Do you even know what an upgrader is and where it fits in? And why bitumen should not be transported by pipeline before it has been upgraded to much the equivalent of conventional crude oil so it can then be refined in the normal manner?

Perhaps this will help so we don't perpetuated the notion that bitumen can be fed directly to a conventional refinery like conventional crude. In fact, I think it was reported recently that a new upgrader for bitumen has just been given the go-ahead in Alberta. Cost somewhere around 6 billion dollars.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upgrader

Nab
I trust your supercilious tone is making you feel superior?

You may feel that bitumen shouldn't be transported in pipelines, but there are a great many folks who seem to think otherwise and are willing to invest billions to do so - including investing in the safety features to minimize risk. If you choose to invest in a company in Alberta that upgrades/refines bitumen instead, then please feel free. But for God's sake don't ask government to start dictating to business how it should best operate. Government's role is to regulate business with an eye to safety, and not to try to intrude as Chief of Operations or head stock-picker, because that has always been a recipe for disaster. The federal government is in the process of undertaking an environmental review to determine the safety of the effort, and that's its job. Let's draw the line there.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

ScottSA wrote:I trust your supercilious tone is making you feel superior?

To the death would be my thinking. :sunshine:
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

Scott, arguing with an NDP shill is like banging your head against the wall. They are totally clueless about what the province needs, and only worry about an extra 70¢ on their haircut. As long as someone else pays their way, their goal is attained.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Post by sooperphreek »

the problem with refineries is that there is not enough skilled workers to make the enterprise possible. not to mention the enormous costs of a plant and the environmental regulations. in the end it has to be shipped out and sent to places that can either have the industrial infrastructure or environmental blinders to do the job.

http://www.thestar.com/business/article ... years-oecd

this oil is why we will have this growth and comfort for the next 50 years. hopefully we re-invest the money properly and make sure that 50 years continues.
Alvis
Board Meister

Post by Alvis »

Fisher-Dude wrote:Scott, arguing with an NDP shill is like banging your head against the wall. They are totally clueless about what the province needs, and only worry about an extra 70¢ on their haircut. As long as someone else pays their way, their goal is attained.

Oh zinger. I see Christy Campbell and her gang of right wing idiots have been doing a bang up job the last 11 years.
Now we have a BC Conservative "movement" (more like bowel movement) made up of ex- BC Liberals who have been rabid architects of the last 11 years of mayhem touting themselves as the only logical Saviour for BC. Sad thing, so many of you eat this up.
Man can now fly in the air like a bird, swim under the ocean like a fish, he can burrow into the ground like a mole. Now if only he could walk the earth like a man, this would be paradise.
Tommy Douglas
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

Conservative soap opera spirals down
By Les Leyne, Times Colonist November 14, 2012

The soap-opera plot line for Tussling Tories - the B.C. Conservative Story is still twisting and turning. But you can feel the audience leaking away.

They had a solid share of the viewership for a while. But you can only turn in on yourself so many times before the people on the outside start to lose interest.

The latest move was the rather abrupt resignation of party president Al Siebring over the weekend. It didn't stem from all the strife the party has been going through since last summer. Siebring, who only took over the job six weeks ago, said he had to quit because his workload as a broadcaster was increasing. Together with his responsibilities as a North Cowichan councillor, it meant he wouldn't have time for the presidency.

He remains a supporter of leader John Cummins, and will be succeeded - just to keep things confusing - by Christine Clarke, another Cummins supporter. (Clarke ran as a Conservative candidate in the byelection in Port Moody, which was Premier Christy Clark's previous riding.)

To keep the pot boiling, Siebring wrote a letter to members just after resigning that promises more drama to come. It's a plea to donate money in preparation for war, as in a long legal battle with the people Siebring kicked out of the party just a few weeks ago.

Those rebel forces may have been ejected from the party, but they are still lurking around the edges and plotting revenge. Which is why Siebring sounded the note of alarm in his letter.

He said the ejected dissidents want to force the board to reinstate their memberships and apologize for dismissing them. The party can either acquiesce, or "defend ourselves," he said.

"There is a principle at stake here - nothing less than the defence of the democratic will of you, our membership ... Because of this, we have decided to launch a vigorous defence against this action."

"We took this decision understanding full well that lawsuits cost money, but we believe that the principle of upholding the expressed will of our members is paramount, and we trust you share that sentiment.

"That's why I would appeal to you - as soon as you finish reading the rest of this email, get our your chequebook and send us a donation.

"This is the single most urgent issue facing our party right now."

Other parties six months away from an election raise money to campaign against their opponents. B.C. Conservatives are building a war chest to keep fighting each other.

There's a poignant footnote that highlights the absurdity of all this.

"Of course, any monies that are superfluous to our needs for the law-suit will be going toward our campaign fund for next May."

Only a few months ago, B.C. Conservatives were riding high at 20 per cent in some opinion polls. There was excited speculation about their impact on the next election.

Now they're trending right back down to where they were prior to Cummins's arrival - a fringe outfit that got 2.1 per cent of the vote in 2009.

It's just a historical note now, but their vote distribution in the last election hints at what might have been.

They rounded up 34,451 votes and came a distant fourth.

But fully 50 per cent of their votes were concentrated in seven Okanagan Valley ridings. There was the potential for a tightly focused breakthrough in that region - if they'd managed to keep their act together.

Just So You Know: Meanwhile, B.C. Liberals are having their own fundraising issues. The "Leader's Reception" scheduled for Nov. 15 at Crystal Garden has been cancelled, reportedly for lack of interest.

The reception is a replacement event for the full-scale leader's dinner that used to draw hundreds to the convention centre. Funds raised at the reception were to be earmarked for Vancouver Island Liberal candidates.

Back in September, an earlier interview came to light in which Clark said she avoids the legislature wherever possible because "it's sick. It's a sick culture."

You have to wonder if there might have been more interest in the event if she and her government showed up in the capital once in a while.

http://www.timescolonist.com/news/Leyne ... story.html
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

*try again, this time keep in mind that this is not the Political Arena/Jo*
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
Verminator
Board Meister

Post by Verminator »

*try again, this time keep in mind that this is not the Political Arena/Jo*
I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.
George Carlin
Verminator
Board Meister

Post by Verminator »

Verminator wrote:*try again, this time keep in mind that this is not the Political Arena/Jo*

That being the case, it might be a good idea to move this thread to the Political Arena to avoid further confusion. It is, after all, titled 'BC Conservative Party option'.
I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.
George Carlin
Jo
Slot 16

Post by Jo »

No need to move it, as most members seem capable of posting appropriately. Those who are not capable are strongly advised to beat feet over to the Political Arena.
maple leaf
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by maple leaf »

ScottSA wrote: But for God's sake don't ask government to start dictating to business how it should best operate. Government's role is to regulate business with an eye to safety, and not to try to intrude as Chief of Operations or head stock-picker, because that has always been a recipe for disaster. The federal government is in the process of undertaking an environmental review to determine the safety of the effort, and that's its job. Let's draw the line there.

What the federal Conservative party did ,is disregard environmental standards and gut the regulation in favour of big corporations, in effect Enbridge.The BC liberal government under Gordon Campbell gave away BC's right to have a BC environmental review done, with BC standards.You and your party are placing all your faith and BC' best interests in a Federal, biased, degraded environmental review which has no regard to BC's best interests . Thankfully your party will not be in a position to allow this to happen,at best unless something drastically changes you will be elected as an opposition MLA.The NDP on the other hand will oppose this pipeline,and do everything they can, to not let it go through,which is the right thing to do.For advice on what can be done the NDP hired lawyer Murray Rankin to advice .Dix will back out of the Federal agreement after serving 30 days notice ,to which any governing party can do.Then he will undertake a made in BC environmental review.If that doesn't result in a rejection the BC cabinet will have the final say.Then if Harper tries to overrule the BC government,it will shift to disallowing individual permits required for river crossings and wild life corridors .Chances of this pipeline being built are pretty slim.
“If I were to remain silent, I’d be guilty of complicity.”
— Albert Einstein__________________________
Alvis
Board Meister

Post by Alvis »

Aside from all the political wrangling, I believe the last two earthquakes we had off the coast of Haida Gwaii pretty much put the last nails in the Enbridge pipeline coffin.
Man can now fly in the air like a bird, swim under the ocean like a fish, he can burrow into the ground like a mole. Now if only he could walk the earth like a man, this would be paradise.
Tommy Douglas
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

*NOT appropriate for this area, take it to the Political Arena/Jo*
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"

Return to “B.C. Provincial Election 2013”