Breaking news scandal: NDP recruit Chinese Communist member

Discuss the upcoming provincial election. Keep it civil in here, people. It's not the Political Arena.
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Breaking news scandal: NDP recruit Chinese Communist member

Post by Gone_Fishin »

Frank Huang, NDP candidate for Richmond Center, is outed as being a former Chinese Communist Party member.

Dix scrambles into damage control, but it may be too late to sever the communist ties to his radical leftist NDP.

More news to follow...
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Re: Breaking news scandal: NDP recruit Chinese Communist mem

Post by NAB »

Ya, "outed" by Ken Fung, the chair of Christy Clark's Chinese Advisory Council, although I am a little uncertain what other party someone might belong to as a Chinese citizen living in China at the time and who desired to be politically active.

Incidentally, that's the same Dr. Ken Fung who called a CKNW radio talk show last month complaining about Huang's English language skills. Trouble is, he did it under an assumed name, and without identifying the position he holds in Christy Clark's inner circle.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Well, well, well, another candidate scandal for Dix.

Over the course of 3 short weeks, Dix has had 3 major scandals to deal with in his selection of candidates, first with Dayleen, then "chinkasaurus" inventor "Dr" Jane Shin, and now with Communist Party member Frank Huang.

It just goes to show you that the NDP is rife with shady losers, and we've just seen the tip of the iceberg here. No one can expect the NDP to govern with a scandal a week that should result in the resignation (in disgrace, I may add) of yet another NDP MLA.

The quality of the NDP candidates in non-measurable. While their biggest supporters on here deflect from the issue of communists in the NDP ranks and what that means for BC, Dix has a big pile of manure to deal with.

Considering their choice of leader, though, one can see why such low-level candidates are drawn to the party. Birds of a feather...
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Rwede wrote:

Considering their choice of leader, though, one can see why such low-level candidates are drawn to the party. Birds of a feather...

That sort of goes for all the parties doesn't it. How about the Liberals with a leader that states she doesn't even want to go into the office and than actually leaves the office closed so no one can work. It is a terrible list we have to choose from.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Its_Like_That
Fledgling

Post by Its_Like_That »

Fisher-Dude wrote:Frank Huang, NDP candidate for Richmond Center, is outed as being a former Chinese Communist Party member.

Dix scrambles into damage control, but it may be too late to sever the communist ties to his radical leftist NDP.

More news to follow...

The disease has spread.

Dutch disease, communist disease, tax and spend-o-rama disease, back dating memo disease, evasion disease, back deal union payoff disease, flip flop disease, epic economic disaster disease.
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

There is always another side to the media spin on most stories:

UBC professor says NDP candidate's communist past not at all alarming
RICHMOND/CKNW(AM980)
Shane Woodford | Email news tips to [email protected]
5/6/2013

The NDP'S candidate for Richmond Centre says his past as a member of the Chinese Communist Party is being used unfairly as a smear campaign.

"Currently I am not a member of the Chinese Communist party."

Frank Huang says he severed his ties with the Communist Party in the year 2000 after he immigrated to BC. Huang says it is not unusual to belong to the Communist Party in China, especially if you work in the media.

"Everyone knows that this is the situation in China because this is the political system in China. If you are working in the government everyone was expected to join the party." Huang also admits to working as a freelance journalist for Chinese government media.

He says he is the victim of an unfair personal attack from the Liberals.

The retired director of the David Lam Centre says he has no concerns over Huang's past as a member of the Communist Party. Professor Emeritus Jan Walls says in china for any career success, especially in journalism, being a member of the Communist Party is mandatory.

"They want their report to be paid for and published, it is only going to be paid for if it is published right. Also you know they know the code words that every reader of Chinese newspapers or media know they can't really come out and say this but if you use these code words everybody will get your message. I wouldn't be worried about that at all."

Walls says Chinese immigrants come to Canada to escape the constraints of the communist system. He says it is unfair for Chinese immigrants to be judged by having once been a Communist Party member.

http://www.cknw.com/news/vancouver/story.aspx/story.aspx?ID=1954542
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Sure, good cover story. Just like Jim Sinclair saying "but I had to join the union to work there."

Fact: Huang is a commie. And an NDP candidate.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

Rwede wrote:....Fact: Huang is a commie. .....

That's not a "fact" at all.

Nab
ForestfortheTrees
Board Meister

Post by ForestfortheTrees »

From the Sun News website:
The chair of the BC Premier's Chinese Community Advisory Council has admitted he called a local radio talk show under a false name to admonish an NDP candidate's English skills.

Dr. Kenneth Fung told 24 hours Monday he called The World Today radio program on CKNW April 21 posing as a caller named Mike from Vancouver.

"I've got news for you. Did you know the NDP is running a candidate in Richmond Centre by the name of Frank Huang who can't really communicate in English?" Fung said to host Sean Leslie during the segment. "Maybe you guys (can) give him a call and do an interview in English and see how good it is."

http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/sunnews/battlegroundbc/archives/2013/05/20130507-074540.html

And you guys are criticizing the NDP? Why is Fung not being asked to resign?

This is just another boring partisan thread on castanet . . .
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

Wow - the mudslinging and lack of depth of some posters and electoral parties this election is absolutely astounding. When your platform rests solely on the premise of "Don't vote for this guy" rather than something constructive, that should be telling enough.

Pointing at a candidate who is a former citizen of China, calling them a commie and picking on them because they used to be a member of the CPC is, well, beyond stupid. China has four parties. Three are "Democratic", two of which have been declared illegal and the third is "suppressed". Any Chinese citizen that values their very life is, of course, a member of the CPC.

I think the folks who are buying into this tripe should put their money where their mouth is, pay a visit to china, and extoll the virtues of democracy to each and every citizen he encounters. I'll even buy you the plane ticket there. I suspect there won't be any need for a return flight.

(Edited to fix a typo and some grammar)
Last edited by 36Drew on May 7th, 2013, 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
ForestfortheTrees
Board Meister

Post by ForestfortheTrees »

36Drew wrote:Wow - the mudslinging and lack of depth of some posters and electoral parties this election is absolutely astounding. When you're platform rests solely on the premise of "Don't vote for this guy" rather than something constructive, that should be telling enough.

Well said, and totally agree.
maple leaf
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by maple leaf »

The smear campaign by the Liberals is in full swing.They can not stand on their record ,they have decimated BC hydro,BC ferries is a total mess,since they made it a quasi private corporation,they have spent billions on their friends and private power projects in contracts over 30-40 years.They have cut and slashed services that seniors and disabled depend on ,while giving themselves big raises.They have sold out BC's environmental sovereignty to the Federal government.They have created scandal after scandal in everything they touch.So all they have left is to smear the other guy in pathetic attempts to discredit them and make them look worse than their own pathetic selves.
“If I were to remain silent, I’d be guilty of complicity.”
— Albert Einstein__________________________
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

The notion UBCO, UNBC, the KGH cardiac unit, the hospital expansions, the new bridges etc. etc. are all things for the Liberals' friends and they're all about scandals is waaaaaay over the top and totally wrong. I'm in favour of those things! Good on the government for providing them.
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

36Drew wrote:Wow - the mudslinging and lack of depth of some posters and electoral parties this election is absolutely astounding. When your platform rests solely on the premise of "Don't vote for this guy" rather than something constructive, that should be telling enough.

I agree that it has been foolish, but you do understand that concrete platforms and issues weren't really ever part of the NDP plan right. Look at the slogan, the ENTIRE campaign is centered around "we're not them", and then had nothing to go with from there.

If the NDP find the most pressing issue is a red light, then I don't see why the other side may not as well point out past party affiliations of the NDP members. The liberals brought out a platform, the NDP avoided it, the NDP chose a campaign of silliness and have received it. I personally am less than impressed by both, but after 12 years this is the best foot the NDP can put forward, may as well just refer to them as the joke they seem to have become.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

Veovis wrote:I agree that it has been foolish, but you do understand that concrete platforms and issues weren't really ever part of the NDP plan right. Look at the slogan, the ENTIRE campaign is centered around "we're not them", and then had nothing to go with from there.

I've listened to the debates. The Greens seem a little flakey, but do stand by their convictions. The Conservatives speak towards fiscal responsibility and how to attain that, and defend their position with rather conservative logic. The NDP has a platform, Dix does seem to waffle, but does repeat his mantra over and over. They want to spend money on social programs, and yes - their campaign slogan is "We're not them". The liberals, however, during the debates focus on attacking the others. It's painful to listen to their leader talk during debates. I find it absolutely unprofessional and disgusting.

If any of us had these clowns in our employ, and they carried on like that during a proposal process (which, face it, this is what an election campaign is) - we'd throw their *bleep* to the curb.

One can't make an informed opinion based on "This guy did this and that guy did that". Sell me on your merits, not on ad hominem attacks. I don't buy the argument that "that's just politics" - it's not, and that's a cop-out. It's time we demanded a higher standard from those we've charged to run the affairs of our governments.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.

Return to “B.C. Provincial Election 2013”