BC Premier Christy Clark: Up Close and Personal

Discuss the upcoming provincial election. Keep it civil in here, people. It's not the Political Arena.
Its_Like_That
Fledgling

BC Premier Christy Clark: Up Close and Personal

Post by Its_Like_That »

Unlike the secretive behind closed doors life of Dix, The Honourable Christy Clark is proud of her family.

But Dix is more than willing to talk about his love of sports or discuss his battle with diabetes. He admits when he’s not working, one of his favourite things is doing pretty much nothing.

Dix likes doing nothing. Much like he says nothing. Much like he can’t make decisions and flip flops. Right Jim Sinclair?

CAROL: Who decorated your home?

CHRISTY CLARK: I decorated my home. But since the house was new when I moved in 2005, I have not really done anything major to it. I simply painted a few walls and decorated with the same furniture that I had in my last home, which goes quite well there.

The kitchen design is a very modern open concept, joining the family room, which I really like.

CAROL: What is your favourite room?

CHRISTY CLARK: The family room is my favourite place because that is where my son and I spend the most time together. It is where we sit on the floor and play Scrabble, it’s where he and other kids play mini hockey. And, since it is attached to kitchen, we spend time there eating meals.

CAROL: Do you cook?

CHRISTY CLARK: Yes. When you have children, it is really important to cook at home, so I do as much as I can. Otherwise they end up eating out all of the time, which is not healthy, and it’s a bad lesson for them for alter in their life.
Because it’s just the two of us, I often cook a meal for four and then freeze the rest for another time. I do that type of plan-ahead meal preparation on weekends.

Christy sure loves her son, she sounds like a wonderful Mom!
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Re: BC Premier Christy Clark: Up Close and Personal

Post by Urbane »

She does seem like a good mom and a decent person as well. She has an inner strength that has impressed. So many people wrote her off before this campaign started. They said that Dix would eat her up and spit her out in the debate and that she would fold. Of course after Dix's shaky debate performance and Clark's strong performance that theory was turned on it head. But even more importantly, good for her to find some balance between being a mother and being the premier. Not easy but she's managing to do it.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

More on Clark in this interview with CBC News:

B.C. Liberal Leader Christy Clark is often criticized for being too quick to speak her mind, but Clark says she won't apologize for being herself.

At a recent campaign stop in Fort Nelson, Clark chatted easily with workers at the Spectra Energy gas plant, looking comfortable in coveralls and a hard hat despite the reporters and cameras.

"I really love people. And I'm really curious about people," Clark said.

Christy Clark appeared at ease during a visit to the Spectra Energy gas plant in Fort Nelson on Tuesday. (Facebook)
Clark is known for not being shy with people or shy about speaking her mind, perhaps because she was the youngest of four children.

"When I got back into politics, I said to myself I was just going to be who I am," she said in a recent sit-down interview with CBC legislative bureau chief Stephen Smart.

"I'm just going to [speak my mind] and if people like that, that's great, and if people don't like it, that's okay," she added.

Christy Clark is a single mother to her 11-year-old son, Hamish. (Facebook)
Like Adrian Dix, her NDP counterpart, Clark has been involved in politics from an early age.

"My dad was a school teacher and so we always talked about politics around the table and all kinds of debates and things like that," Clark said.

"I decided I wanted to be an MLA in 1995. I'd always sort of been involved in politics around the fringes as a volunteer," she added.

But she says she didn't consider being premier until former Liberal leader Gordon Campbell resigned in 2011, mainly due to the fact she is a single mother to her 11-year-old son, Hamish.

"I see less of him [and] that's hard for both of us," she said, adding that she was rushing back to Vancouver later that day to catch Hamish's baseball team in the finals.

But Clark said she hopes the difference she can make as premier will make the sacrifice worth it.

With files from the CBC's Stephen Smart
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/bcvotes20 ... clark.html
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

He (Dix) admits when he’s not working, one of his favourite things is doing pretty much nothing.

In defense of doing nothing, it's a skill that more of us should develop. Being able to turn the crap off now and then makes one eminently more capable of dealing with it when it's turned on.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut

Return to “B.C. Provincial Election 2013”