KGH ready for Ebola

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Re: KGH ready for Ebola

Post by Donald G »

To daria ...

I assume that you are IHA associated since you have singled them out.
daria
Guru

Post by daria »

Donald G wrote:To daria ...

I assume that you are IHA associated since you have singled them out.

Or perhaps because KGH is an IHA facility...
Don't take my silence to mean I've agreed with you; I easily could've just lost interest in explaining how wrong you are.
History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes.
"I figured out how to monetize SJWs." Jordan B. Peterson
daria
Guru

Post by daria »

Donald G wrote:To Silverstarqueen ...

IMO your last post makes sense. Much of the cause was because gorillas spend a great deal of time touching and grooming each other and do not wear protective gear or take precautions, which helped the disease to spread quickly.

To assess your other comments one would have to know what association you have with the hospital and hospital staff. Also what first hand experience you have had with pathogens. Or are you just commenting from the sidelines like you consistently do with marijuana?

JUXTAPOSE

Donald G wrote:To daria ...

To clarify, I do not profess to have any more than a normal "interested citizens" knowledge of hospital related issues, including as they relate to communicable or contagious diseases. Like you I reserve the right to assess the origin of information being offered by a wide assortment of people with a wide assortment of reasons for offering the information.

Using a deadly disease to try to further the personal interests of a select group of people in their contract negotiations is not, IMO, acceptable. Professing to speak for them without being associated to them or conversely pretending not to represent them when speaking about the problems they may be having are both deceitful and therefore unacceptable

*headdesk*
Don't take my silence to mean I've agreed with you; I easily could've just lost interest in explaining how wrong you are.
History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes.
"I figured out how to monetize SJWs." Jordan B. Peterson
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To daria ...

If a waiter served me ice cream and fish on the same plate I would be surprised by their juxtaposed positioning.

Are you suggesting the same for the Hospital version of preparedness compared to the IHA employee version of preparedness? That they are in juxtaposition to each other?
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

Presumably Doctors working in Africa with Ebola patients must know the protocols and are exquisitely knowledgable about how to prevent infection and the risks involved. So how well are the protocols working if a doctor can return to New York City and go about his business , personal activities and active social life , and then OOPS, he is sick with Ebola? How many people could he have infected in the weeks since his return? Now if this could happen to an expert, what are the chances that any other person returning from an affected country could also be carry the virus? And our health care workers are going to be so much more prepared than this doctor?? Doctors who treat Ebola patients are gowned to the teeth, and still manage to catch the disease occassionally. But ordinary people who came in contact with this doctor,who were not gowned , are not supposed to be worried.

NEW YORK -- An emergency room doctor who recently returned to the city after treating Ebola patients in West Africa has tested positive for the virus, becoming the first case in the city and the fourth in the nation.

CBS New York identified the patient as Dr. Craig Spencer, 33. He recently returned from Guinea, where he worked at an Ebola treatment center with the aid group Doctors Without Borders.

New York Mayor Bill de Blasio and Gov. Andrew Cuomo on Thursday urged residents not to be alarmed by the doctor's Ebola diagnosis, even as they described him riding the subway, taking a cab and bowling. De Blasio said all city officials followed "clear and strong" protocols in their handling and treatment of him.

"We want to state at the outset that New Yorkers have no reason to be alarmed," de Blasio said at a news conference, repeating that the Ebola virus can only be transmitted through contact with bodily fluids. "New Yorkers who have not been exposed are not at all at risk."
eMeM
Übergod

Post by eMeM »

Politics, unions, yada yada...
I'm pretty sure there's a conspiracy thread for Ebola but I don't feel like searching. The title of this new, merged thread seems like a good place for these two links. 

http://m.naturalnews.com/news/047374_Eb ... encer.html

So this guy breaks "self quarantine" and cruises NYC for ten days... Including a bowling alley. Great. 

Add to that this tidbit:
http://www.infowars.com/medical-profess ... es-in-u-s/
Hearsay at best but if true this is of grave concern.  

In keeping with the title of this thread, is KGH prepared to be a major hub for this disease? Now there's a scary thought. I would hope that Canadian health authorities are more concerned with public health than politics. More concerned with the public health than lining the pockets of pharmaceutical companies. More concerned with surviving this than saving face. But who knows?  
I'm curious how many people have faith in our health care system and the policies in place that they truly believe we'd fair well in a pandemic situation with this one. I for one am concerned enough that I'd rather brave the winter in the bush than stick around here if it hits the fan.  We're still here but we're ready to go in a heartbeat. Anyone else?
Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To eMeMe ...

Your two identified articles and Silverstarqueen's last comment certainly give food for thought and is the type of information that I hoped would appear on this thread.

It seems that the "human" element is the hole in the wall through which ebola, or any other communicable disease can make its way into a new area where it can effect new victims.

That, coupled with the "up to 21 day incubation period" during which there may be no sign of the disease whatever displayed by a person carrying (and spreading) it.

Similar to years ago when, by the time you could see that your friend had measles, it was too late to have avoided getting measles from your friend. Similar to ebola, the infectious period during which you could catch measles, was before they showed up on your friends body.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

What is not similar between ebola and measles is the death rate. About 10% of children with measles require hospitalization, mortality is 1 in 5000 (in uk). So even without a vaccine, the vast majority of the healthy population would recover with minimal treatment. Still a killer in many parts of the world, but at a much lower rate than ebola would be (with a 50-70% death rate).
Last edited by Silverstarqueen on Oct 24th, 2014, 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Donald G wrote:That, coupled with the "up to 21 day incubation period" during which there may be no sign of the disease whatever displayed by a person carrying (and spreading) it.

If we can believe what they tell us it is not infectious during the 21 day incubation period. It apparently is only infectious when the symptoms are prevalent.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To Bsuds ...

You could be right. I guess that that shows how much (or little) I know about Ebola and why public information is important.

I assume that the Ebola pathogens exist in your body during that 21 day period but just not in densities large enough to make a person ill? Would that not enable a person to pass or receive "a few" bacteria during the 21 day period? Or am I missing something?
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To daria ...

If you are as knowledgeable about pathogens, including ebola, as suggested by your previous comments, now is the time to step up to the plate.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

What do you mean by "step up to the plate"?
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To Silverstarqueen ...

Clarify the life cycle of Ebola as it relates to being infectious, especially in a hospital setting.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Back on topic please. The thread is about KGH being Ebola ready. It's not about someone's qualifications or who belongs to what union.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

This has been explained. up to 21 days incubation (can be less), infectious after symptoms. Virus enters sytem and has to enter cells and replicate which takes some days to do. When the cells release all the newly produced virus that's when it can be transmitted in the bodily fluids. This is how most viruses work, but exact number of days while replicating or when infectious, varies. Meanwhile person's system tries to mount a defense. If the virus kills them before they get that up and running well enough to eliminate virus in system, which is what usually happens, person dies.

Return to “Health”