Is our health care system broken?

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.

Moderators: dieseluphammerdown, ferri, Triple 6

Is our health care system broken?

Postby Silverstarqueen » Feb 21st, 2017, 9:10 am

When parents do not get adequate treatment for a serious illness in their child, they can end up in court for failure to provide adequate care. What happens when our hospitals do the same? Tylenol, to treat pneumonia in a toddler?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.3989511
Silverstarqueen
Guru

Liked in: 1616 posts

Re: Is our health care system broken?

Postby UltraViolet » Feb 21st, 2017, 11:18 am

This will likely get swept under the carpet.
Our Health Minister better get to the bottom of it, and make sure someone gets fired, this is not acceptable practice!
This is negligence to patients.
An unnecessary death, I can't imagine how the family feels.
How many user names do you need anyways?

Merry likes this post.
UltraViolet
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 391 posts

Postby driveangry » Feb 21st, 2017, 11:28 am

This isn't the only one,,,,,

Yesterday the mother of a friend was sent home from the hospital and died at home an hour later, in Surrey.

This isn't new, happens a lot, not always in death.

Brother -in-law went into our towns little ER. The doctors sent him to Penticton via ambulance, they sent him home. A little while later ended up back in our little ER, this time the doctor went along with him to Penticton.
driveangry
Übergod

Liked in: 640 posts

Postby Fancy » Feb 21st, 2017, 11:35 am

The family believes she was suffering from pneumonia, but the official cause of death has yet to be determined.
I was under the impression the diagnosis was pneumonia from the news last night but I would have thought a doctor in emergency would have been able to make that determination.

Balraj said their family doctor received X-rays confirming that the child had a severe case of pneumonia that caused further infections.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/health/three-year ... -1.3291672
I've been told if my child shows even the slightest change for the worse to immediately go to emergency. Children don't always show how sick they really are. I can't imagine the helplessness and horror of it all. Poor family.
Fancy
The Pilgrim

Liked in: 3599 posts

Postby Silverstarqueen » Feb 21st, 2017, 1:13 pm

A doctor in the ER can indeed order an xray for the child, and diagnose Pneumonia, othey symptoms considered like fever, respiratory distress, etc.
But if the doctor doesn't order an xray, and just decides the child has a bad cold, then they will miss the diagnosis.
This sort of thing does happen far more often than we are aware.
I hope the family in Surrey mentioned above, will also contact the news.
Without shining a light on this, hospitals would rather downplay this sort of thing.

Hospitals are discharging people everyday who have no business going home. I had a family member being discharged once, and I insisted on a final checkup because to me he didn't look good enough to go home.
While the nurse was doing the final blood pressure check, he was crashing right in front of us, which I could plainly see, and I was the one who had to tell the nurse to call for help. I am pretty sure someone knew he was not ready for discharge, but they wanted to kick him out so he would die "not on their watch". This is b.s.

Carrs Landing Viking likes this post.
Silverstarqueen
Guru

Postby Silverstarqueen » Feb 25th, 2017, 2:02 pm

Another example, same hospital, within several days of the little girl's death. When the hospital spokesperson came on TV, I wanted to slap him. "Blah, blah, just said enough to cover his butt".

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.3998729
Silverstarqueen
Guru

Postby oldtrucker » Mar 1st, 2017, 1:01 am

Silverstarqueen...this is easily in the top ten most important topics posted in these forums.I'm surprised it hasn't had more comments.
Compared to other "developed" countries, we are at the bottom of the pile.
Broken is a huge understatement.Thanks for speaking up.
On Feb 28th a letter from a medical transcriptionist that contracts outside Canada was posted to "letters" under the "opinion" heading.
D.F..... thank you for posting that.People seem to have more knowledge about the hockey game last night than the condition of their own counties health care system(s).That letter that you wrote should be posted to major media outlets in Canada and overseas.Overseas because the truth about healthcare here is a shock to those outside of Canada when their image of the 'great oh so" rainbows and butterflies" Canada comes into question.Canadians are delusional( or completely apathetic) about their own countries health system.Perhaps it's time for some international embarrassment . D.F...seriously!!!,send that letter to media outside Canada.

We deserve better
Contributed - Feb 28, 2017 / 12:21 pm | Story: 190198
Re: Health care needs work

I am an independent Medical Transcriptionist with a contract to an Australian company for the past one year. I have been debating whether or not to speak up regarding what I am seeing as major differences in our health care systems, and they are not good at all.

My heart broke after reading about the incidents at the Abbotsford Hospital and after reading this letter I felt I could not keep silent any longer.

I have had many of my own recent experiences here in Kelowna at KGH also, which have not been positive. I would like to know why people are having their medical histories taken in front of others in the waiting area? This is supposed to be private information yet is not being treated as such. Why are people who are vomiting only given a paper bowl and placed in the waiting area with other people and degraded that way? I have witnessed in the streaming area, multiple vomiting people and the curtained off areas are all empty. Is it any wonder illness gets spread! Not to mention the indignity of being treated that way and subjecting other patients to their illness.

I have had a very close friend admitted by ambulance for severe dehydration due to severe vomiting only to be discharged and left lying on the sidewalk outside because he was too sick to stand, no tests done to confirm what the problem may be. I witnessed the nurse asking him if he smoked marijuana and told him “this is what happens when you smoke marijuana”. He was not smoking marijuana, period. He was subsequently labelled as a drug user. He found this out our family doctor on his next appointment.

Every day in my work, I transcribe doctors sending patients for MRIs, ultrasounds, PET scans, compete blood tests, all to make sure their patients are getting the required level of care. If they are not sure of a diagnosis or cannot find anything on their examinations, they order tests to be sure they didn't miss anything! They have regular follow up. They have clinics for every imaginable illness. They have full care programs for their seniors and their veterans and they take in and care for immigrants and refugees. They do not turn anyone away and they treat each patient with dignity.

They have private and Government insurance and they pay higher taxes to afford this level of care. They use all forms of care including vitamins, minerals, naturopaths, pain clinics, rehab programs, food and dieticians to help people.

Doctors are allowed to set up practices wherever they want to work and are not restricted by location and one practice, they have regular clinics at the hospitals.

We are being treated like a third world country when it comes to our health care in this Province. Our doctors and our citizens need to stand up to our Governments, both Provincially and Federally and demand change. No one should ever be sent home from the hospital without being thoroughly checked out to see what the problem is, giving someone drugs for pain is not the answer!

I started out my career working in Canada and soon decided not to work in North America anymore due to the poor rates of pay, poor treatment and I could not stand to see how patients are treated in Canada. I had a contract outside of BC at the time. Health care is not just bad in BC.

I understand people do not want to pay more for taxes and are opposed to private services for doctors, but with higher taxes put only towards health care and not allowed to go into General Revenue as the present system is now, you have a much higher standard of health care and the need for private clinics and insurance is a must. I see it take the burden off those who cannot pay for medical services every day. We must have choice and higher standards in this Province and in our Country and so far no political party has given us this. Health care should be removed from the Provinces and be controlled and funded Federally.

Our seniors, the disabled and our veterans deserve to be treated 100% better than they are now, as does every other citizen of this Province.

I urge everyone to speak up and vote for change. Let the people in charge know that we will not take it anymore! Our lives and the lives of our loved one depend on it.

Debbie Fortais

holdin likes this post.
oldtrucker
Fledgling

Liked in: 55 posts

Postby summerlandab » Mar 10th, 2017, 2:37 am

Our health system is definitely broken. The hospital in Kamloops is running at 150% of capacity. The
Private rooms have two stretchers in them and patients share a call bell. They don't have the staff to take care of the patients. The staff they do have are run off their feet just doing the minimum for the patients assigned to them. Staff burn out and leave. It all comes down to dollars. We don't have health care, we have wealth care. If it weren't for fund raisers, donations and volunteers the hospital's wouldn't have most of the equipment they use. The government is supposed to fund this with the premiums we pay. The best health insurance we can give ourselves is to stay away from our hospital's.
summerlandab

Liked in: 7 posts

Postby Silverstarqueen » Mar 10th, 2017, 7:50 am

THis has to stop. Now they are blaiming the victim for his own death. Discharged him with diagnosis of "dehydration". My mom was almost discharged with "constipation", when she clearly had an intestinal obstruction. They only treated her because family members refused to take her home, and spent days trying to convince the doctors to save her life.

http://globalnews.ca/news/3300563/kris- ... paign=2014
Silverstarqueen
Guru

Postby oldtrucker » Mar 11th, 2017, 1:35 pm

According to the article,Clark said it's because of a 'bad flu season'.
More like it's been a bad BC Liberals season that has lasted way too long.
I would like to ask the high level servants of any major political party if they, and their immediate families use the public system or do they pay for private healthcare.

Silverstarqueen likes this post.
oldtrucker
Fledgling

Liked in: 55 posts

Postby Silverstarqueen » Mar 11th, 2017, 5:02 pm

And the doctors and nurses, I am thinking they have a better plan than we do.
Silverstarqueen
Guru

Postby binky11 » Mar 16th, 2017, 3:19 pm

I have been suffering for 9 months with rectal pressure and pain. Doctor has done all he can do, all tests come back negative. Says the only one that can maybe help me now is a physio therapist that charges $100.00 a pop. Seems a lot of physio therapist don't take MSP anymore. When your on disibility trying to live on under $1,000 a month, you can't afford that. This is the first time ever I am being denied treatment due to cost. Never came across this in Canada before. Very discouraging.
binky11
Übergod

Liked in: 81 posts

Postby Silverstarqueen » Mar 18th, 2017, 8:47 am

I have used a physiotherapist on a few occasions over the years, I think they are well worth it for select problems. Even one session can make a huge difference. I recently had to see one because my knee had become so bad it was really interfering with my mobility, put off seeing physio because of the cost. One session, much much improved. I should have gone a lot sooner, could have saved myself months of hobbling around making things worse. I think some limited coverage for physio should be in our medical coverage, because these people are keeping folks out of the doctors offices, and even preventing or reducing reliance on opiod painkillers, and still allowing me to get some basic needed exercise. In my case, probably preventing a fall or damage to the joint in the future.
Silverstarqueen
Guru

Return to Health