Hot tub itch

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
3068rocky

Hot tub itch

Post by 3068rocky »

I need help. We have had our hottub now for 6 months. It's a small 2 person Beachcomber. Our chemicals are right on. I monitor them all the time. But I can't use the tub. I get an itch around my ankles, knees, elbows. Feels like small needle *bleep*. No rash, just extremely itchy. Starts about 12 hours after. It lasts about a week. I take a full shower after. Doesn't help. I've heard about Potassium monopersulfate. Or CYA. I need some expert advise. It is a chlorine tub. I use Beachcomber supply's. Hubby has no issues. Someone else must have had this problem. Thanks
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Hot tub itch

Post by Fancy »

You might want to consider draining the tub and refilling it when convenient. Phone Beachcomber and see what they suggest in the meantime. Probably want to "shock" the tub.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Take a water sample in to Beachcomber and have them test it for you.
Bring back the LIKE button.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

Try bromine instead of chlorine.
You and 71 others Like this post
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

We switched to bromine and never had a problem but that was years ago.
https://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/pdf/sw ... b_rash.pdf
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

I had the same issue, your probably just drying your skin out. If your hot tub has an ozonator you can greatly reduce the amount of chlorine you use. You'll want to keep your PH levels in line but other than that, just use a table spoon of shock after every use, this will kill whatever you brought into the water on your skin but will be gone by the time you use your tub again. After it's been shocked the ozonator will keep the water clean and bacteria free. We almost use no chlorine, other than the shock, and have never had a problem and my dry itchy spots went away.

Added: We tried switching to bromine but I still had the dry skin issue.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
WeatherWoman
Wicked Witch of the West Coast

Post by WeatherWoman »

LANDM wrote:Try bromine instead of chlorine.

We started getting chemical burns from chlorine and we made the switch and no longer having issues. However if you have a small tub you need to use less chemicals. some of the others can cause chemical burns too.
"It takes a village to raise a fool." ~ Dan Mangan
Corneliousrooster
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Corneliousrooster »

3068rocky wrote:I need help. We have had our hottub now for 6 months. It's a small 2 person Beachcomber. Our chemicals are right on. I monitor them all the time. But I can't use the tub. I get an itch around my ankles, knees, elbows. Feels like small needle *bleep*. No rash, just extremely itchy. Starts about 12 hours after. It lasts about a week. I take a full shower after. Doesn't help. I've heard about Potassium monopersulfate. Or CYA. I need some expert advise. It is a chlorine tub. I use Beachcomber supply's. Hubby has no issues. Someone else must have had this problem. Thanks

You do not want cya in your hot tub - it will end up in there as a byproduct of pucks or stabilized chlorine granules. Too high of cya (150ppm or higher ) will give you chlorine lock - which means even though you are getting a good normal free chlorine level it is not doing anything.

Monopersulfate is a non chlorine oxidizing shock - will help to get rid of the "used up chlorine" or chloramines that build up in the water without having to super chlorinate.

How often do you drain and refill your tub? There is a TDS level that should be tested for (total dissolved solids) to determine when to drain and refill - usually every 3-6 months depending on use of a full size tub, the smaller the tub, usually more often.

How long of a stint are you in the tub for? It takes less time than most people think to go from a good chlorine reading of 3-5ppm to zero while you are in the tub (especially a really small body of water). If you are I. The tub more than 45 min there is probably nothing left.

Return to “Health”