Smoking

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Smoking

Post by Silverstarqueen »

No one need to smoke their nicotine, so cigs should be banned. If someone badly needs nicotine there are a number of ways they can get it, prescription product from doctor, available thru pharmacy would be fine, just like other drugs for addicts.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Yeah.....not the same buzz.

I consider nicotine, alcohol, and caffeine as suicide. I am just not fully committed to the "acute" type. Besides, suicide looks bad on the death certificate as the COD.
Bring back the LIKE button.
two_shoes1mit
Board Meister

Post by two_shoes1mit »

NotNorthAnymore wrote:I smoked for almost 42 years (as close as I can calculate it).
Like most of my generation - it was not a big deal back in the day - the majority of the population smoked.
Smokes were easy to obtain and no rules against it regardless of your age.

Now that I am a non-smoker for close to 3 years and plan to be until I am dead.
My attitude has really changed about smoking.
And I have to agree that the old sayings about reformed smokers (and drinkers) are more than true.

I heartily agree with those that suggest that smokes should only be available in government liquor stores.
That way only those 19 and over would have legal access to cigarettes.
Not that many people actually start smoking after 19 (IMO) and this would make it so less would be inclined to start.

Money is always one thing to make people stop and think about what they are doing.
If you take an average daily cost of $3 for 42 years that is close to $45,000 for me
About the same for my wife, but she quit 5 years before me.

All things considered with actual costs and inflation and life styles - it most likely cost the 2 of us over 100K to smoke for those 40 some years.

Thanks to the laser clinic in Kelowna I was able to quit and have not had one since the week after I was there.
They claim a 90% + success rate and I think they are telling the truth 100%.
The ad is on the radio often and if you want the contact info for them send me a PM and I will supply.
(Not positive if it is allowed to post the business name here, but if the mods say it is I will post it later.)

It worked for me because I knew I wanted to quit and my life is much better for it now.

The sooner we stop the smoking culture in Canada the sooner we will cut our costs in health care and live longer and happier. (Non-smokers actually have better and more se* also - just another great side benefit of not smoking that I wish I had know about when I was 15)

I have PM'd you for the name and address. Thank you.
CoolGreenBoy

Post by CoolGreenBoy »

Silverstarqueen wrote:No one need to smoke their nicotine, so cigs should be banned. If someone badly needs nicotine there are a number of ways they can get it, prescription product from doctor, available thru pharmacy would be fine, just like other drugs for addicts.

and how about getting pleasure from the process of smoking?
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

alanjh595 wrote:Yeah.....not the same buzz.

I consider nicotine, alcohol, and caffeine as suicide. I am just not fully committed to the "acute" type. Besides, suicide looks bad on the death certificate as the COD.

that its great what you consider. The coroner however does not. Typically if one ODs on alcohol or drugs and dies they will list the cause of death as accidental. The person did not intend to kill themselves with the drug. It really doesn't matter what you believe.

So not only would life insurance pay out but any accidental death insurance would as well.

Return to “Health”