Juice Plus?

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
nature_lover

Juice Plus?

Post by nature_lover »

Has anyone heard of, or tried "Juice Plus". It is supposed to be a suppliment made from fruits and vegetables. It doesn't take the place of eating fruits and vegetablrs, but aparently "bridges the gap" when you can't eat all your recommended servings per day.

This woman is trying to sell me the products, and I'm leary to try them.

My issues are:

There is no list of ingredients. The literature just says "contains apples, kale, pineapple etc.". I was under the impression that you have to list ingredients in Canada for something to be legally sold here.

The product costs $60 per month, and you take only 2 capsules per day. One is Fruit and one is veg. I have a hard time believing that 2 small capsules of powder can really do much, considering you have to take about 12 capsules per day of other "green food" supplements from the health food store. Most "green foods" list not only their ingredients, but their vitamin information as well.

They say "Juice plus is not a vitamin". and it's "hard to explain what it is". This all seems fishy to me.

As far as I know, Juice Plus is an "Amway" style pyramid or MLM system, which also makes me uncomfortable. I'm not crazy about Amway style businesses.

Has anyone every tried these supplements or knows anything about them? I have been on the Juice Plus website, but it's not all that helpful.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

Buy fruit and make your own juice.

MLMs are famous for making all sorts of ambiguous health claims.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
nature_lover

Post by nature_lover »

gardengirl wrote:Buy fruit and make your own juice.

I already do make my own juice. The reason for taking supplements such as green food capsules, is that they give you that extra energy boost and nutrients. I eat plenty of fruits and vegetables, but I notice a difference when I take green food capsules. Some of the green food capsules contain extras like ginseng, bee pollen, spirulina and such. You can't get that from simply "making your own juice".

I'm just not sure if I should try this juice plus stuff or stick with the brand I already use.
Triple 6

Post by Triple 6 »

If they can't tell me what's in it, I'd say no. I have way to many food allergies to take a chance.
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

i take Greens too Kelowna_Blonde and i would be leary of something that someone wants to sell me that doesn't list ingredients. :|

holy smokes. i googled Juice Plus and there is a lot of info out there...all trying to sell it. :lol:
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
nature_lover

Post by nature_lover »

I agree triple 6 and ferri. I did find a "list of ingredients" on Wilkepedia and a bunch of info on the product. You would think the person trying to sell it to me would have the list. She doesn't have the list, the list isn't on her bottles, nor the literature she's given me.

I think I'll stick to green food!

Thanks for your opinions.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

psssst...if you are buying the name brand Green you can get the Life Brand at Shoppers much cheaper. :wink: same stuff, different label. the one down town is where i get mine. :D
― Albert Einstein
mekathy
Übergod

Post by mekathy »

I tried Juice plus for one year as they had a promotion that if you signed up a child on it an adult would get there year free. I had to fill out questionnaires as to whether I had seen an improvement in either of our lifestyles or health issues. My girlfriend had suggested it to me as someone had told her that it had helped their child with ADHD. My son has ADHD so I thought I would give it a whirl. It was quite costly IMO and frankly I really did not see any real difference in his attitude, behavior or thought process. I really did not notice a significant change in mine either. When it was time to reregister I opted out. My family eats alot of fruit and veggies as a whole and didn't find Juice plus to a great supplement.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

Kelowna_Blonde wrote:
gardengirl wrote:Buy fruit and make your own juice.

I already do make my own juice. The reason for taking supplements such as green food capsules, is that they give you that extra energy boost and nutrients. I eat plenty of fruits and vegetables, but I notice a difference when I take green food capsules. Some of the green food capsules contain extras like ginseng, bee pollen, spirulina and such. You can't get that from simply "making your own juice".

I'm just not sure if I should try this juice plus stuff or stick with the brand I already use.

People can have severe reactions to Ginseng and Bee Pollen.
Ginseng is a stimulent which can be dangerous to anyone with heart or blood pressure issues. Bee Pollen can cause allergic reactions to people who react to stings.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

i was worried about he bee pollen in my greens, but i haven't had any problem. i'm very allergic to all bug stings and bites. :smt102 what's that saying? What doesn't kill you will cure you? :lol:
― Albert Einstein
Triple 6

Post by Triple 6 »

ferri wrote:i was worried about he bee pollen in my greens, but i haven't had any problem. i'm very allergic to all bug stings and bites. :smt102 what's that saying? What doesn't kill you will cure you? :lol:

tee hee. You should come to my house, we can roll around in Peanut Butter and Bee Pollen. See who comes out alive first. GG can be the ref!
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

Game on ladies, game on!
sas11109
Fledgling

About ginseng

Post by sas11109 »

Gardengirl - you are so right about people having problems...in my case with ginseng. I had a problem with the cold preventative Cold-FX. It's loaded with ginseng. Last year while at my doctor's office my blood pressure reading was off the wall. She wondered why it was so high seeing as I'm on medication to control high blood pressure. It was the Cold-FX that I had been taking for a few days.

So just a caution to people with high blood pressure - you might want to re-think taking Cold-FX (too bad too because I thought it was great stuff).
danyjr24

Post by danyjr24 »

What are the ingrediants of an apple, an orange, brocolli, spinich? Juice Plus is classified as a whole food like the foods above so it doesn't have the ability to list every individual ingredient. U don't find a label on fruits and vegetables!!!
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

danyjr24 wrote:What are the ingrediants of an apple, an orange, brocolli, spinich? Juice Plus is classified as a whole food like the foods above so it doesn't have the ability to list every individual ingredient. U don't find a label on fruits and vegetables!!!
If it is in capsule form, shouldn't the capsule ingredients be listed? What about preservatives?
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat

Return to “Health”