Quit or Quitting Smoking Support

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
Undercast

Quit or Quitting Smoking Support

Post by Undercast »

I am on my second month of quitting smoking and have not smoked 1000 cigarettes and saved $800! That is nasty isn't it!

I think it would be nice to hear other people's experiences, how they quit and giving support for those who want to quit!
People are very inclined to set moral standards for others ~Elizabeth Drew
zak97
Board Meister

Re: Quit or Quitting Smoking Support

Post by zak97 »

I just read a book called EASY WAY TO STOP SMOKING by Alen Carr.$18 dollars 216 pgs ,on page 212 your done.
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Relentless »

MorningGlory wrote:I am on my second month of quitting smoking and have not smoked 1000 cigarettes and saved $800! That is nasty isn't it!

I think it would be nice to hear other people's experiences, how they quit and giving support for those who want to quit!

I can't believe you actually paid $800 for 1000 cigarettes.
They must have been quite the smokes at 80 cents a piece/$16 a 20 pack
Im really glad you kicked the habit, keep up the good work.
What are you doing to replace the desire to stick something in your mouth?
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

Maybe she was smoking 25 packs. What difference does it make if the math doesn't quite add up?
I say "Good on you!"
I bet you feel better, food tastes better, you will certainly smell better.
Often, people who smoke a lot have no idea how bad they smell. Their sense of smell and taste is really diminished by all the tobacco.

When my sister and her husband quit smoking, it was like they were completely different people. Between the two of them, they used to go through about 2.5 packs a day. I hated to have them come over to the house because, even though they were not allowed to smoke inside, they left an odor. Their clothes were permeated with it. Even when their children came over, they smelled like stale tobacco.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
Undercast

Post by Undercast »

Your right!

Sorry, it's $400 and haven't smoked about 900 cigarettes! I have an app on my phone that tracks it and I was really excited and thought it was more by memory...although it sure feels like more! Haha!I think it's so bad I spent that much, and that was for almost 10 years! I could have had a huge savings by now! Oh well :)

But I have quit cold turkey and been using nicorette gum, the new stuff is really good!

I think it's the most difficult drinking and being around people who smoke but it is so awesome when I wake up without the smoker's cough!! I didn't know I smelled so bad...oh god it's horrible!
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

zak97 wrote:I just read a book called EASY WAY TO STOP SMOKING by Alen Carr.$18 dollars 216 pgs ,on page 212 your done.

That's the one I've read. About two months ago in 5 hours. Haven't smoked since then and don't miss it at all.

Good luck OP.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
AlanH
Lord of the Board

Post by AlanH »

I decided smoking was no longer required after well over 20 years and went cold turkey on September 1st at 3:00 Pm.

I have not considered them since.

If you like to do math:
- I have been saving $9.55 per day on average based on slightly over a pack a day (Unless they have gone up in price since)

- The admiration I have earned from my children now that I have stopped smoking is a price I cannot even estimate, but let's just say it's worth all the money in the world.
Fritzthecat
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Fritzthecat »

Nicotine addiction is more serious than people realize.
Nicotine has been said to be more addictive than opiates.
I applaud your success! :hailjo:
Calling yourself a libertarian today is a lot like wearing a mullet back in the nineteen eighties.
When I feed the poor, they call me a saint, but when I ask why the poor are hungry, they call me a communist. Bishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Fritzthecat wrote:Nicotine addiction is more serious than people realize.
Nicotine has been said to be more addictive than opiates.

Nicotine is easy to get hooked on.
But getting off is rather painless (unlike say heroin)
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Undercast

Post by Undercast »

I actually had a really hard time kicking the habit to the point of near depression! I was angry and very sensitive for the first couple of weeks. Now I am back to normal self as my body has adjusted to life without nicotine. It is a very serious and deadly addiction.

Another thing I never thought of was the environmental impact of smoking! The butts take 5-10 years to bio-degrade. I think it will be difficult as I work with a lot of smokers up North, but I think I can be an example! I will buy some of those books your talking about and give them to some of the people I work with!

I am happy for all of you!
xjeepguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by xjeepguy »

I stopped on the 9th of November/09. So far so good ! I'm using the patch . I quit because I just hated smelling like a cigarette , clothes stink , hands stink , it was just grossing me out completely. I think some people who smoke don't realize how badly they stink . Oh ya saving the extra money is awesome too.
When a man opens a car door for his wife, it's either a new car or a new wife
westsidebud
Lord of the Board

Post by westsidebud »

yaaaaaaaa good job everyone that quit.

for me to stop i would need sex evrytime i wanted a cig? any voluntears?
GO CANUCKS GO
Jordan123
Fledgling

Post by Jordan123 »

I've quit for 2 weeks now ..... Still crave em like a moFo but am pretty used to not smoking. I did nicotine inhalers and it was pretty easy. I feel so much better!! Haven't had a smokers cough since about the day after I quit.

The catalyst for me was my health. I was killing myself slowly over these *bleep* little things that gave me no pleasure or benefit. It's nice to have quit :)
Jennybuns
Fledgling

Post by Jennybuns »

I am on my third day of being quit, I know it's not a lot but it's going okay! The hardest thing is the habit for me: driving, drinking or talking on the phone! In fact, I always smoked while talking on the phone! My girlfriend called me tonight and I actually cut our conversation short (which i've never done) because I was so tempted to grab a beer and go to the garage and smoke a few!

Good lucky everyone, it is a tough addiction to break but it will save your life, relationships and bank in the long run!! :)
xjeepguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by xjeepguy »

Women usually cause guys to smoke anyways :coffeecanuck:

Seriously good luck , I stopped on the 9th of November , been ok so far. You just need to get over the first 3 weeks or so , gets a little easier after 3/4 weeks. Hey and you dont stink anymore :nyah:

Jennybuns wrote:I am on my third day of being quit, I know it's not a lot but it's going okay! The hardest thing is the habit for me: driving, drinking or talking on the phone! In fact, I always smoked while talking on the phone! My girlfriend called me tonight and I actually cut our conversation short (which i've never done) because I was so tempted to grab a beer and go to the garage and smoke a few!

Good lucky everyone, it is a tough addiction to break but it will save your life, relationships and bank in the long run!! :)
When a man opens a car door for his wife, it's either a new car or a new wife

Return to “Health”