Quit or Quitting Smoking Support

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: Quit or Quitting Smoking Support

Post by Queen K »

Hi Strawbrrydvl. Welcome to your thread, it'll be like home I hope. First let me give you encouragement. My parents smoked but neither my brother nor I ever did. We got enough second hand smoke to last a lifetime. I know several others like us who never smoked and their parents did. Children will make up their own mind in other words.

Second, your nic fit is an experience Big Tobacco really really counts on to keep you hooked. Internally you know that right? There are several big exec's who depend on you for their Lear jets, their lavish lifestyles and their job perks and their chemists are paid to keep you keeping them rich. You are up against big guns.

But I digress.

You can win. And you will win.

I am sincerely pulling for you and your battle to win for YOU. No one else. You count. I wish you all the best.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
strwbrrydvl
Guru

Post by strwbrrydvl »

Thanks for the words of encouragement Queenie. Just over a week in and still doing well with only a couple cigarettes throughout the day. Now I just need to set a final quit date and stick with it. I'm thinking that quitting the last 2 cigarettes a day is going to be more difficult then cutting out the dozen I already have. I can do it though! I know I can.
Some people develop a wishbone where their backbone should be.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

I don't know why think it's going to be difficult or hard. You went from 12 to 2 cigarettes a day, and quality of life only improved. Why do you think those two cigarettes will decrease it?

You're not giving up anything, it doesn't give you any pleasure for sure, so quitting for good is easy and only improves your life.

Go for it.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Quitter. just j/king, good for you - I would miss them too much to quit. PLus as an addictive personality I'd be mainlining, or shoplifting, or beating people who spit on the street.

Can I have your lighters? :D
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

My wife and I quit almost 7 years ago.
We both feel much better now than we did 7 years ago.
We figure we have saved $29,000 since we quit.
During the course of my smoking life, I figure I smoked the value of a house.
So did my wife.

Smoking is just slow motion suicide.
Its still a good retirement investment tho.
The more money you spend on smoking, the less you will need in your RRSP.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Just make sure you have a legal will so the lawyers don't get what your kids should. The first few months of savings from stopping smoking should take care of the costs of having a lawyer draw up a will in a way that ensures no one challenges your wishes.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

http://news.ca.msn.com/top-stories/scor ... overlooked

Chantix is the quicker way to committ suicide than using cigarettes apparently. Do you know someone on it? Are you?

Please quit Chantix before it quits you.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

My buddy was on it, just got off it.
Claimed emotional issues from it, anxiety, anger, vivid dreams.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Did you read the whole article posted? Exactly what he was going through, and could have been worse. Glad he's off it.
Bananaz
Übergod

Post by Bananaz »

Well I finally did it, my official first day of non smoking was February 27th. I haven't smoked since but there isn't a day that goes by that I think about smoking and I still want to smoke.

What motivates me are my daughters and what helped me to get where I am is knowing that ten years from now I still may want to smoke. Once I came to that conclusion everythign has fallen into place for me.

But it hasn't come that easy, I'm sure I'm suffering from a mild case of depression from quitting smoking. I don't feel like myself, I'm emotional and bitchy. This isn't every day but it seems to be sticking around and perhaps only getting worse?!! Argh, anyways this won't drive me to smoke as I have made a choice and I am sticking by it :)
Cherish yesterday
Dream tomorrow
Live today
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Congrats B! It will be a hard road, but it will be totally worth it :sunshine:
I haven't failed until I quit.
xjeepguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by xjeepguy »

Bananaz wrote:Well I finally did it, my official first day of non smoking was February 27th. I haven't smoked since but there isn't a day that goes by that I think about smoking and I still want to smoke.

What motivates me are my daughters and what helped me to get where I am is knowing that ten years from now I still may want to smoke. Once I came to that conclusion everythign has fallen into place for me.

But it hasn't come that easy, I'm sure I'm suffering from a mild case of depression from quitting smoking. I don't feel like myself, I'm emotional and bitchy. This isn't every day but it seems to be sticking around and perhaps only getting worse?!! Argh, anyways this won't drive me to smoke as I have made a choice and I am sticking by it :)

Cold turkey method ? It's been about 2.5 years for both of us . Used the patch method and it worked well and for myself , I don't miss it at all , glad its done and over !

Good luck and I really hope you succeed .
When a man opens a car door for his wife, it's either a new car or a new wife
Bananaz
Übergod

Post by Bananaz »

Lady tehMa wrote:Congrats B! It will be a hard road, but it will be totally worth it :sunshine:

Thank you, I appreciate the support :)
Cherish yesterday
Dream tomorrow
Live today
Bananaz
Übergod

Post by Bananaz »

I bought a pack of smokes knowing it was going to be my last pack and I just cut down more and more each day. Towards the end I skipped morning smokes and driving to work smokes, then I didn't take any smoke breaks during work and skipped the after meal smokes until finally there were none left. Then five days later I bought an electric smoke which I used and bought a second one which I've had forever now and I rarely use it.

That's great that you don't miss it, that gives me hope. Although I still think about it lots and it's everywhere which doesn't help.
Cherish yesterday
Dream tomorrow
Live today
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

It's a good day when someone quits smoking.

Return to “Health”