Quit or Quitting Smoking Support

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Quit or Quitting Smoking Support

Post by kibbs »

I read a book when i was 19 called "Recreational Drugs" It explained how nicotine wasn't even a drug but an addictive poison .That if you consumed the amount of nicotine in six cigarettes all at once it would kill you.It explained how nicotine is a carsonogine something that circulates in your blood stream and causes cancer in the weakest place.You get no buzz just a relief from your addiction. I was smoking a pack and half of king sized a day .i quit immediately the truth changed my mind.the government wants you to live as little passed 65 as possible. That is why they allow it to be sold .Let that conspiracy drive you to quit and live as long and collect as much pension as you can.
Peace be with you.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

We are cleaning out a house where the person living there smoked in the house, full on, no open doors or windows.
Believe me, the nicotine build up on all the objects in the house is visible, gummy and extremely difficult to remove with even a few washings. Imagine what that does to the lungs of anyone around you or your pets?

Also, everything of paper value, old photos and albums and keepsake books are reeking with the smoke smells. We kept one book outside for days before bringing it in, that helped.

The damage to objects that are difficult to clean, like baskets, mattresses and the like was irreversible, everything went to the dump, we would not even donate it.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

nicotine

that's the tar. nicotine is clear odorless and colorless.its so nasty
Peace be with you.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

So cigarettes have claimed another life. My cousin comes here today and announces that her ex has been diagnosed with lung cancer. Over 40 years of smoking under his belt, no surprise there. I feel more sorry for his adult children and their kids who will not get to know him.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Queenie, I hope you quit soon too.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

:dyinglaughing: What you drinking and can I have some?

I'm too Scottish to smoke folks. My parents certainly did, Dad's spot on his lung which was found at age 50 scared him straight, but by age 70 he was dead from lung cancer anyways. Mom still smokes even tho her fav. bro-in-law wasted away with COPD and her smoke bud is wasting away from CA. right now. Years and years ago I watched my mom rip thru the house looking for a quarter to complete her pack of smokes money stash so she could go buy 'em. That's where the scottish side of me piped into my head, "you will never be so addicted as to act like that." (Of course no one ever heard of the internet back then and what would happen if castanet was down :purefury: )
xjeepguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by xjeepguy »

A great quitting tool is to go to the hospital and watch someone with emphysema for a day or two .
When a man opens a car door for his wife, it's either a new car or a new wife
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

smoker.jpg
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Post by GoStumpy »

Literally makes me want to cry knowing my Dad is 63 and still smokes
Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.
iOS

Post by iOS »

GoStumpy wrote:Literally makes me want to cry knowing my Dad is 63 and still smokes

That's no good! Has he looked into an e-cigarette? They have some online that actually contain nicotine and got me off cigs after 22 years. Look into those.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

WOW, it's being a long time for this thread so I want to bring it back with National Non-Smoking Week and IHA's attempt to help quitters actually quit: cigarettes.

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#106979

Fortunately I don't smoke, that is to say, I'm too cheap to light something on fire and let it burn quickly. Yup, cheapness did that in. Nothing else, not my parents smoking, not health issues, nada.

So is anyone going to call IHA's quit smoking, Tobacco Reduction Team? And when?

I want to know what happens when they are called. Doctor referral? The Nicotine Patch recommended? Counselling? Nosy questions? Personally I'd like a reduction in work related stuff with oxygen, I hate dealing with oxygen, tubes, canulas, oxygen delivery to the home, taking away the spent canisters, oxygen machine running constantly, changing over to the portable when you want to go out, using a saline nasal spray to clear your passages when the oxygen won't run through the tubes from the canister. Calling the respiratory experts at all hours with questions.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Queen K wrote: So is anyone going to call IHA's quit smoking, Tobacco Reduction Team?

Nope. Fortunately I quit smoking almost two years ago. Tried many times before and was even hooked on the gum for awhile. I actually haven’t smoked a cigarette in about five years but my weakness has been the cigarillos (Colts, Blackstone’s etc.). I finally used Champix and it worked wonders. In about a week the cigars started tasting like crap (yes – they used to taste good) and there was no “hit” from the drag. Smoking really became pointless as the pleasure responders (or whatever) in the brain didn’t get "tickled". Wasn’t no point anymore – but I do go through the candies at work.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

So guys like you reading this stuff is like preaching to a choir.

NEXT! :-)
xjeepguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by xjeepguy »

Must be about 5 smoke free years for me . If I can quit , anyone can do it !
When a man opens a car door for his wife, it's either a new car or a new wife
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Around 20 years for me!
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!

Return to “Health”