Vital Wheat Gluten

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
Lazarus
Fledgling

Vital Wheat Gluten

Post by Lazarus »

I'm having trouble finding a source for vital wheat gluten in the Kelowna area. We were buying Bob's Red Mill branded gluten at Superstore but they've stopped carrying it - besides, we'd prefer to get it in larger 'bulk' sizes (5-10kg or maybe even larger) bags if possible. The bulk store at Spall and Springfield (I don't recall the name at the moment) doesn't carry it either. I'd prefer to pick it up locally but if there's a good Canadian source online I'd be interested in that too. Any ideas?
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Re: Vital Wheat Gluten

Post by grammafreddy »

http://www.bobsredmill.com/vital-wheat-gluten.html

You could send them an email and ask for distributors/sources in the area .........
Lazarus
Fledgling

Post by Lazarus »

The problem is that while many places carry some Bob's products they don't carry the wheat gluten. We might be able to work something out with Nature's Fare to order some but I was just curious to see if there were any other sources so I could get price comparisons. I could also order direct from Bob's but their shipping charges are a little high (like more than the cost of the product itself!)
wthwyt
Lord of the Board

Post by wthwyt »

I don't shop their due to higher prices you could try Choices on south side of Harvey just east of Spall.
cinister

Post by cinister »

Save on foods in westbank has the bob's brand and I'm pretty sure they have it in bulk as well. In bulk I think it's just called wheat gluten not 'vital' but am pretty sure it's the same thing.
Chris4242

Post by Chris4242 »

I've bought it at Save on and Nature's Fare in Kelowna.
Lycoming
Fledgling

Post by Lycoming »

What's the difference between vital wheat gluten and regular wheat gluten? Can't you just buy whole wheat flour/products to get wheat gluten?
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Lycoming wrote:What's the difference between vital wheat gluten and regular wheat gluten? Can't you just buy whole wheat flour/products to get wheat gluten?

Vital Wheat Gluten Flour is also called "gluten flour", "instant gluten flour", "pure gluten flour", and "vital wheat gluten" depending on vendor and manufacturer. This is flour with the starch and bran removed. Gluten is the natural protein in the wheat endosperm which, when combined with water, forms a taffy-like dough. It is also found in other grains like rye, oats, barley and Triticale. It retains the gas and steam from baking and gives structure, elasticity and sponginess to baked goods.

The process in making Vital Gluten Flour keeps the protein and reduces the carbohydrate content making it ideal for low-carb baking.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Lycoming
Fledgling

Post by Lycoming »

oneh2obabe wrote:
Lycoming wrote:What's the difference between vital wheat gluten and regular wheat gluten? Can't you just buy whole wheat flour/products to get wheat gluten?

Vital Wheat Gluten Flour is also called "gluten flour", "instant gluten flour", "pure gluten flour", and "vital wheat gluten" depending on vendor and manufacturer. This is flour with the starch and bran removed. Gluten is the natural protein in the wheat endosperm which, when combined with water, forms a taffy-like dough. It is also found in other grains like rye, oats, barley and Triticale. It retains the gas and steam from baking and gives structure, elasticity and sponginess to baked goods.

The process in making Vital Gluten Flour keeps the protein and reduces the carbohydrate content making it ideal for low-carb baking.

I know what gluten is, I was just curious about the adjectives used to describe this product. To me it sounds like a marketing ploy much like "enriched" bread. You're paying more to get less, but I guess maybe that's the point with the whole low-carb fad.

Here's a link to just make vital wheat gluten at home, from regular whole wheat flour.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5157979_make-vi ... luten.html
sps60

Post by sps60 »

I know what gluten is, I was just curious about the adjectives used to describe this product. To me it sounds like a marketing ploy much like "enriched" bread. You're paying more to get less, but I guess maybe that's the point with the whole low-carb fad.

Here's a link to just make vital wheat gluten at home, from regular whole wheat flour.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5157979_make-vi ... luten.html

But I am confused on your method. I read this site....no where does it say it washes the bran off. And you are suggesting to use whole wheat flour which is more bran than even white flour. Must be a nutty sour taste once your done....

Return to “Health”