Coconut Oil and healthy/unhealthy fats.

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
Roadster
Time waster at work

Re: Coconut Oil and healthy/unhealthy fats.

Post by Roadster »

Saturated fats are solid fats at room temp, associated with animal fats,,, they are not good for you in a way but they are needed too in moderation. All fats should be taken in moderation there are better fats to include as well but then there are fats to be avoided,,, best to read up on them all and decide. Omegas are the best but others are still needed.

I eat lean meats so since coconut oil has some great properties in it I dont mind getting it in my body, in moderation of course. Most people will try to get a teaspoon or two in a day.

And then there are fats that are modified that you don't want in your body at all. Junk food is loaded with this bad stuff and some saturated fat,,, watching that intake will allow you to have coconut oil instead and not be causing harm to your body.
♥ You and 98 other users LIKE this post
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

Jiggle wrote:I mean saturated fats are usually associated with something negative.

If you read up on it, coconut oils are a medium-chain triclyceriede while the "bad" saturated fats are a long-chain triglyceride. Long chains are stored for use where the medium chain are used immediately for fuel (among other benefits). Costco actually has a good book there about coconut oils.

A lot of it's past bad rap came from the fact it was processed and had hydrogenated oil added to it. Modern coconut oil is virgin cold pressed.
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

Thanks PW,,, wasn't gonna do the med chain/long chain thing here. Peeps usually don't understand it but maybe that will give some food for thought and one could read up on it... It's a long subject but it's why coconut oil is good in moderation for all of us.
Also make sure your coconut oil is cold pressed and is virgin,,, some still may not be because some companies just sell it using the name "coconut oil" as their seller to make a buck. It would still be coconut oil but the handling is what makes it good or bad.

A good idea would be to read that book mentioned, it likely has all the history on coconut oil as well as all the facts. I have an old book on it and even then it gives lots of good information. We are just starting to recognize it again as a good food.

I suggest reading on apple cider vinegar as well,,, there are good ones and cheap ones... (The one with the mother and unfiltered is best but it's not cheap) I found a great book a long time ago from Costco about vinegars and oils. They are both considered a perfect food if bought from the right companies and used wisely.
mee-mo87
Board Meister

Post by mee-mo87 »

Roadster wrote:I suggest reading on apple cider vinegar as well,,, there are good ones and cheap ones... (The one with the mother and unfiltered is best but it's not cheap) I found a great book a long time ago from Costco about vinegars and oils. They are both considered a perfect food if bought from the right companies and used wisely.

I picked up a bottle of Braggs ACV with Mother from Natures Fare for about $4.50... I'm not presently using it everyday so it seems like an ok price?

Do you know or recommend a good way to ingest ACV? I've tried: with cold water, hot water & honey, sip it straight (glass on water on hand)

The best seems to be the hot water & honey, cause well, you get to sweeten it with delicious local honey LOL, but if you get a whiff of vinegar up the nose, its a bit off putting...
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

Braggs and spectrum are best as far as I know,I don't like it either so I pour a bit,,, teaspoon or so in a Dixie sized cup and top it with warm water and take it back in a few gulps,,, don't breath same time.

With honey is a great idea if not diabetic but then again the vinegar should help against anything the small amount of honey can do if it isn't too much.

The oil is a tough one for me too so I put a huge teaspoon in my morning coffee, if it's hot the oil will melt and almost seem like it's not there if you don't look at your coffee and see the oily bits floating on top.

Return to “Health”