Please refer me to a dentist

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
mjrabit

Please refer me to a dentist

Post by mjrabit »

hello, good morning. i'm new to the city. could you please recommend an AFFORDABLE, but decent dentist? i need to speak to a toothmaster in a hurry. thanks.
StraightUpLogic
Fledgling

Re: please refer me to a dentist

Post by StraightUpLogic »

Dr Blanchard. 626 main st
Tony
Übergod

Post by Tony »

Try Dr. Houston on Main - right on the corner of the 5 and 600 block.
Corneliousrooster
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Corneliousrooster »

Dr Evans at Eckhart Dental is taking new patients.
bipdl
Board Meister

Post by bipdl »

The word "affordable" was emphasized by the O.P..

Your only hope for affordable is to find someone who'll agree to "not charge you" for various aspects of their work.

Seems there's some sort of governing body that specifies precise fees all dentists are supposed to charge for each and every little twitch of their wrists and/or piece of equipment they use, no exceptions! Unless you can find a dentist willing to work for less than the "fixed fee schedule", you're out of luck.

There is no "private sector competition" as far as pricing goes in the dentistry trade because of this association fee schedule, so expect to spend BIG bucks.

BTW, Dr. Blanchard is very good, and has a history of occasionally doing pro-bono work for the needy as part of his "giving back" contribution to his community. Commendable! And (unfortunately) unique when you consider what these people make.
'Authority' is not a reason.
The most universally violated human right is the Right To Be Treated With Dignity.
Pffft, you humans. It's amazing you've made it this far. - Prot
bigtony

Post by bigtony »

mjrabit wrote:hello, good morning. i'm new to the city. could you please recommend an AFFORDABLE, but decent dentist? i need to speak to a toothmaster in a hurry. thanks.

I highly recommend Dr. Blanchard, as well. Affordable and extremely good at his job (his freezing is practically painless).
mjrabit

Re: Please refer me to a dentist

Post by mjrabit »

hello, me again - update on the tooth situation:

After making this post, my toothache got very bad (couldn't eat, drink, or breath without striking pain)...I freaked out, and went in as an emergency patient to the Enamel Dental Clinic...the dentist took a quick look (barely looked?) at my teeth, took a digital x-ray, and immediately told me that it was irreversible, that the cavity was below my gum, therefore he would have to "peal my gum back like a banana" and the fill would reject, so really my only options were to 1. have the tooth pulled, and some kind of prosthetic attached 2. have a root canal/crown...options looking at around $4000 dollars, with beginning steps costing about $800 dollars (removal plus one filling). He also informed me that I had multiple other cavities throughout my mouth, that, if left without work, would soon be rotten out. I left there pretty upset, with a prescription for antibiotics, and spent the next week coming to terms with the fact that I would have to have at least one, probably two of my teeth removed (from the front of my mouth!!)

Some co-workers recommended that I get a second opinion, and referred me to Dr. Gordon Houston. I got an appointment after a couple of weeks, and after a thorough visual exam, he took film style x-rays, and after inspecting the (teeny tiny) x-ray prints, he decided that the yes, the cavity was quite deep, but he thought he could fill it, and that actually, after not being to the dentist in god knows how many years, my teeth were in pretty good shape, with only two problem areas. He ended up filling the cavity, (though I'm sure it was a tough job!), and he didn't even have to peel my gums like a tropical fruit. I've had the filling over a month, and there have been no problems. thank god I didn't follow the suggestions of the first dentist! oh, and total costs of four fillings and a throughout exam/cleaning = around 900$....about the same as the first steps of getting a porcelain tooth. Thanks Dr. Gordon :D
inmho

Post by inmho »

Dr. Houston is the best! Glad you ended up there.
keekster

Post by keekster »

Hahaha, "toothmaster" - that's a good way to describe dentists!

I have recommended several of my friends and co-workers to Okanagan Smiles on Springfield.

They are accepting new patients. Very competent and friendly dentists and dental-hygienists there. Doctor Visscher and doctor Matson actually take several trips a year to third world countries to offer dental services and they are constantly enhancing their skills by going to conferences and taking courses.

Best of luck as you search for your perfect toothmaster.

Return to “Health”