Ways to stop snoring?

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Ways to stop snoring?

Post by Captain Awesome »

What's a good way to cut down on snoring? Recently my wife told me that my snoring is getting pretty bad - to the point that sometimes I wake her up several times a night. She usually just tells me to roll over to my side, and it stops. But I suspect waking up and telling me to do so several times a night isn't exactly pleasant. I feel pretty bad every morning.

Is there a good way to stop snoring without surgically removing a part of me or restraining myself for the night in a straight jacket? Some old-fashioned way like eating more mangoes, praying to Jesus, or using the bite guard?

Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Ways to stop snoring?

Post by Bsuds »

Sleep in a different room works too. Lots of couples do that.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Captain Awesome wrote: Is there a good way to stop snoring without surgically removing a part of me

You can get adhesive strips that have metal bands that you can stick on your nose and will hold your nostrils open. Ask your Wal-Mart pharmacist. Athletes use them to open their nostrils up more to get more air. I've tried them and they work.

(I still like sleeping with my wife)
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Elevate the head of your bed. Try putting the legs on a piece of 2x4 or a brick.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Tried those strips and they came unstuck in the middle of the night.

GF that won't work with a water bed.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

steven lloyd wrote:You can get adhesive strips that have metal bands that you can stick on your nose and will hold your nostrils open. Ask your Wal-Mart pharmacist. Athletes use them to open their nostrils up more to get more air. I've tried them and they work.

http://www.breatheright.ca/productsPage.html
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Bsuds wrote:Sleep in a different room works too. Lots of couples do that.

Yeah, I don't want to be one of those weirdo couples!
prairieflower
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by prairieflower »

I was the same way for along time.

We actually spent over 300.00 on a dental appliance that worked for a bit both for snoring and grinding, but for some reason (I don't actually remember) stopped wearing it.

Nose things did not work.

There was quite a bit of stress in my life at the time and once that was removed, the snoring stopped almost completely.

Weight can be a problem, so if you are heavier, trying to lose some weight might help. Sleep apnea can cause much snoring and if you are tired during the day, this is something to look at.

Drinking at night also can cause snoring, so if you like to have a few in the evening, having a few less might help.

Sometimes it is a medical reason (if none of the above apply, talk to your doctor, they might have an idea).

Sleeping in the other room is a last resort and not one that I particularly think is very good.

Good luck
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

steven lloyd wrote:You can get adhesive strips that have metal bands that you can stick on your nose and will hold your nostrils open.

I'm not sure if it makes a difference, but I actually snore with my mouth closed - so I'm not sure if nostrils are my problem. I always assumed that only people who are mouth breathers snore, but apparently you can snore if you breath through your nose as well.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Keeping nasal passages open may help as it allows air to move through slower. If your nose is clogged or narrowed due to a cold or other blockage, the fast-moving air is more likely to produce snoring. A hot shower before you go to bed can help open nasal passages. Keep a bottle of saltwater rinse in the shower and rinse your nose out with it while you're showering to help open up passages.

If the problem exists in your nose and not within the soft palate, nasal strips work to lift nasal passages and open them up.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Capt. A, have you considered getting tested for a condition called Sleep Apnea? I believe snoring could be a symptom of having this very scary problem.

http://www.aaoms.org/conditions-and-tre ... eep-apnea/
Last edited by Queen K on Jan 3rd, 2014, 7:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Captain Awesome wrote: I'm not sure if it makes a difference, but I actually snore with my mouth closed - so I'm not sure if nostrils are my problem.

Those breath right strips are not expensive. Worth trying out before considering other more drastic options. Good luck
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Sleep apnea is a very serious problem and snoring is often an indicator of this. The problem is whether wifey wants to wake him because of his snoring or is hoping his snoring will suddenly stop....
Chill
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

steven lloyd wrote:Those breath right strips are not expensive. Worth trying out before considering other more drastic options.

You're right. I shall pick them up. To the Captaincopter!
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

If you get some breathe right strips, swab your nose skin (haha, nose skin) with alcohol or wash and dry your face well before you apply the strip. Removing the fine nose skin oil (haha, nose skin oil) before you put the strip on will help greatly with the adhesion.
I use them occasionally. I like them. Theyre just a bit weird at first.
Very effective tho.
I imagine theyd be nice too if you ever caught a cold from a sick peep.
There really hasta be a correct term for nose skin and nose skin oil. It just eludes me.
Its like ankle skin. But nobody calls it that.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.

Return to “Health”