Smoking

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
jimmy4321
Guru

Smoking

Post by jimmy4321 »

Why don't they ONLY sell smokes at places where liquor is sold or served? and while they're at it put electronic cigarettes there too.
I know there is a US drug store chain dropping smokes - always found it strange that drug stores sold them and until they sold groceries, they were the best place to buy junk food.
I heard smoking was up in school kids and got me thinking that we aren't bombarded with the no smoking ads like in the 80's &90's, maybe my imagination.
WeatherWoman
Wicked Witch of the West Coast

Re: Smoking

Post by WeatherWoman »

FYI

Prevalence of current smokers in grades 6-9 significantly decreased between 2008-09 (3%) and 2010-11 (2%). This is the lowest rate of current smokers recorded since 1994 (8%). There was no difference in the prevalence of current smokers between male and female.

Among youth in grades 10-12, 10% reported that they were current smokers which is a significant decrease from 2008-09 (13%). There was also a significantly greater proportion of male current smokers (11%) than female current smokers (9%) within this age group.
"It takes a village to raise a fool." ~ Dan Mangan
WeatherWoman

Post by WeatherWoman »

BTW I agree that the sale of tobacco products shouldn't be sold in pharmacies and grocery stores.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

I don't doubt your numbers, is that across Canada? Maybe it's a regional thing, heard it on an eastern channel.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

jimmy4321 wrote: I know there is a US drug store chain dropping smokes - always found it strange that drug stores sold them and until they sold groceries, they were the best place to buy junk food.

The majority of provinces already ban the sale of tobacco in pharmacies. BC is the last province to allow cigarette sales in pharmacies.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
WeatherWoman

Post by WeatherWoman »

jimmy4321 wrote:is that across Canada?

It was a Stat Canada study
SmokeOnTheWater
Walks on Forum Water

Post by SmokeOnTheWater »

jimmy4321 wrote:Why don't they ONLY sell smokes at places where liquor is sold or served?

Where liquor is served ? I thought you could no longer smoke in restaurants and bars. What would be the point of that ?
Do all smokers drink alcohol ?
Corner stores is where cigarettes should be sold.
" Nature is not a place to visit. It is home. " ~ Gary Snyder
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

meant to take out the "served" part. Missed it my phone screen is small
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

BC is selling tobacco in pharmacies because they want the TAX. The electronic smoke has not been approved in Canada and therefore they haven't figured out the taxes on them.

Really what does it matter where they are sold? People will find them and smoke anyway. I quite because I decided it was time, not because I had to.
Walking Wounded
Übergod

Post by Walking Wounded »

Ken7 wrote:BC is selling tobacco in pharmacies because they want the TAX. The electronic smoke has not been approved in Canada and therefore they haven't figured out the taxes on them.

Really what does it matter where they are sold? People will find them and smoke anyway. I quite because I decided it was time, not because I had to.

You can buy e-smokes that do not have any nicotine at just about any gas station and corner store in Kelowna. The ones that contain nicotine are not available in Canada.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Why aren't underage smokers fined and their cigarettes confiscated if they have them? The same way they're when found to have alcohol.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Hmm a lotdrugstores here DON'T sell smokes - Shoppers, etc.
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

Energies would be better spent worrying about this: http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/air-pollution-causes-lung-cancer-who-agency-decides-1.2100862, especially:

"IARC had previously deemed some of the components in air pollution such as diesel fumes to be carcinogens"

It will have more effect on you.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Actually I was thinking that perhaps only sell cigarettes in pharmacies, but by prescription or government script. Maybe like methadone, they have to smoke one cigarette at the facility, in a special room.

Yes, I know that would create a black market, but when pot get legalized, the pot traffickers will need to sell something.

We have come a long way. We used to have smoking on aircraft, restaurants, in offices. My wife and I just realized that not one of our friends or direct relatives smoke.

The more smokers become like lepers (no offense to lepers) the better I like it.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
NotNorthAnymore
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by NotNorthAnymore »

I smoked for almost 42 years (as close as I can calculate it).
Like most of my generation - it was not a big deal back in the day - the majority of the population smoked.
Smokes were easy to obtain and no rules against it regardless of your age.

Now that I am a non-smoker for close to 3 years and plan to be until I am dead.
My attitude has really changed about smoking.
And I have to agree that the old sayings about reformed smokers (and drinkers) are more than true.

I heartily agree with those that suggest that smokes should only be available in government liquor stores.
That way only those 19 and over would have legal access to cigarettes.
Not that many people actually start smoking after 19 (IMO) and this would make it so less would be inclined to start.

Money is always one thing to make people stop and think about what they are doing.
If you take an average daily cost of $3 for 42 years that is close to $45,000 for me
About the same for my wife, but she quit 5 years before me.

All things considered with actual costs and inflation and life styles - it most likely cost the 2 of us over 100K to smoke for those 40 some years.

Thanks to the laser clinic in Kelowna I was able to quit and have not had one since the week after I was there.
They claim a 90% + success rate and I think they are telling the truth 100%.
The ad is on the radio often and if you want the contact info for them send me a PM and I will supply.
(Not positive if it is allowed to post the business name here, but if the mods say it is I will post it later.)

It worked for me because I knew I wanted to quit and my life is much better for it now.

The sooner we stop the smoking culture in Canada the sooner we will cut our costs in health care and live longer and happier. (Non-smokers actually have better and more se* also - just another great side benefit of not smoking that I wish I had know about when I was 15)
"THEY" are watching you! -- "THEY" know who you are! -- "THEY" know where you are!
Always use heavy duty BBQ tinfoil under your Black Hat - That way "THEY" can't read your 'mind'.

Return to “Health”