So, What is Healthy?

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

So, What is Healthy?

Post by Bsuds »

They keep changing the rules so I think I'll just eat what I like!

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-26611861
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Re: So, What is Healthy?

Post by Lady tehMa »

"Moderation" would be a good guideline. That way no matter where the pendulum swings you're okay.
I haven't failed until I quit.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I agree. Sometimes the "experts" don't know diddly squat. They change the rules more often than a woman.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Hey! Leave my gender out of it . . . :p We're not nearly as nutty as those so-called "experts"
I haven't failed until I quit.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Bsuds wrote:I agree. Sometimes the "experts" don't know diddly squat. They change the rules more often than a woman.

Got that right, between the "experts" and "science," we're tossed more crap than a manure spreader in a hurricane.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Lady tehMa wrote:Hey! Leave my gender out of it . . . :p We're not nearly as nutty as those so-called "experts"

Rule #1 The Woman is always right

Rule #2 When the rules change, see rule #1

lol
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Goes to show you that the science is never settled, though this study is hardly new knowledge. 5 to 10 years ago when we were having kids, the doctors told us that fat is good for brain development, so give our kids fatty foods, especially when choosing dairy produces. No fat and low fat dairy is really just a scam promoted by the dairy industry designed to make themselves more money.

I never did believe in the "low fat" diet, and never will even when the next study comes out telling us it's bad for you. The key is to avoid transfats, and avoid doing what I did for lunch last week... have 3 plates of Indian food at the all you can eat lunch buffet. Good food, but too much of a good thing isn't good.

Low fat cream and milk is just plain disgusting. Even if it did shorten my life by a few years, at least I'm actually enriching my life by putting in real cream in my coffee, and not that gross morally bankrupt half 'n half stuff. Low fat diets are promoted by the milk industry because they want people to buy low fat milk, so they can make more money selling the cream for a higher price. There is much more profit in 1% milk (AKA coloured water) than there is in 3.25% (which isn't really whole milk). Personally, I get non-homogenized actual whole milk (probably more than 5% *bleep*) instead of the *bleep* stuff. No *bleep* and no trans for me.

Transfats are man-made, and just like margarine, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out man-made imitation fats are not good for you. Preservatives in general are bad for you, which is really what transfats are. A long and healthy life these days is largely held in check by lack of exercise, overeating, and genetics. Eat lots of fats and veggies, just don't stuff yourself silly. Always listen to your body.
Last edited by Glacier on Mar 18th, 2014, 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Our family Doctor told us this not too long ago as well. Sugar, Salt and too many Carbs are not the best for you.
Like the Lady said...moderation is the key!
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

There's no guarantees in life

Ya I agree moderation and get off your butts
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

I'm also in for moderation. The key to health for me is to eat as whole of foods as possible. I don't ever buy low fat or sugar free products. I use real butter, several types of oils (no canola or vegetable oil) and beef tallow for fats. The only white sugar I use is in my coffee and when we bake cookies on occasion. If it comes out of a box or can it's not as good for you. If it wouldn't be recognized as food 100 years ago, it's not food. Move your body regularly and break a sweat. Try not to let stress get to you, this is also where exercise comes in.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

Moderation for sure. Cut back/cut out processed foods. Reduce processed sugar intake.
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky

Return to “Health”