McMaster researchers: possible treatment for celiac disease

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

McMaster researchers: possible treatment for celiac disease

Post by oneh2obabe »

People suffering from gluten intolerance may eventually be able to have their cake and eat it too — a very, very small cake.

Researchers at McMaster University have discovered a key molecule that could lead to new therapies for people with celiac disease — a painful and currently untreatable autoimmune disorder best characterized by gluten intolerance.

The molecule is called elafin, which works as a “housekeeper” for the lining of the stomach, said Elena Verdu, associate professor of medicine at McMaster.

Elena Verdu is an associate professor of medicine at McMaster University. (McMaster University)

When gluten is ingested, it needs to cross through the intestinal lining, Verdu said. In people without celiac disease, gluten can pass through without issue because of present elafin. However, people with celiac have a reduced generation of elafin, causing gluten to deteriorate the upper stomach lining.

People with celiac disease always have to be vigilant because even very small amounts of gluten can have effects and damage their intestinal lining, she said, which slows recovery from past damage.

Verdu said treatment with elafin would strengthen the lining, which will help the stomach battle smaller amounts of gluten and consistently recover.

The Canadian Institute of Health Research funded the research to the amount of $100,000 per year for four years. They have two years left in the grant.

Gluten is a group of proteins in wheat, rye and barley. It gives elasticity to dough and contributes to the baking properties of bread.

“It is not easy to follow a gluten-free diet for life. They cannot just go out and have pizza,” said Verdu.

Since so many foods have gluten and vital-gluten (a cost-effective additive to processed foods that can give food the same chewy consistency), people with celiac disease need to read ingredients carefully.

Suffering from celiac can also have social implications, Verdu said. Sufferers need to be cautious when eating out at restaurants because sauces can contain gluten, and food can sometimes be contaminated by flour.

There is no proven evidence to say that gluten is harmful to our health, Verdu said. “The gluten-free diet is being advocated by stars for the wrong reasons.”

“The media is promoting this idea that gluten is evil and that the human race will go extinct if we eat it.”

There has been a recent uproar in people self-diagnosing themselves as gluten-sensitive when they might not be, Verdu said. There are many other proteins in wheat grain that contribute to the common complaint of abdominal pain, such as ATIs which help grains be resistant to pests.

“There may be an additional environmental change that we are not recognizing," she said.

"We take more antibiotics...We are too clean.”

Celiac can present itself in so many ways and symptoms that Verdu said people suffering from it tend to slip through the cracks.

“We know that there is a delay of at least 10 years in the diagnosis of celiac disease… it’s not only in children, but in adults too — especially in adults,” said Verdu.

There is a specific blood test for screening for celiac disease, said Verdu, and some doctors need to recognize it more.

She said doctors should follow up with patients who are diagnosed with celiac. Patients should be brought back a year later, and they should have closer relationships with dietitians.

Specific symptoms in children that have undiagnosed celiac disease are stunted growth, dental problems, and a history of abdominal complaints.

Other symptoms include:
■Diarrhoea.
■Constipation.
■Abdominal pain.
■Neurological symptoms.
■Anemia.
■Fertility problems.
■Dental problems.
■Other autoimmune disorders

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/ ... -1.2593106
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: McMaster researchers: possible treatment for celiac dise

Post by Bsuds »

Interesting, Thanks and I sent that to my daughter as my grandson has celiac. Maybe there will be help for him in the near future.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!

Return to “Health”