Treat the cause, not the symptoms

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
Dave_1963
Banned

Treat the cause, not the symptoms

Post by Dave_1963 »

I tried several times to submit this to letters to the editor, but he refuses to print it. 21 years ago, I was diagnosed with severe ulcers. At that time, there was (and still is) an operation costing under $5000 to cure GERD. I asked the doctor for the operation 20 years ago, but was prescribed Prilosec to treat the heartburn instead. After 20 years, the cost of my Prilosec amounted to over $40,000. The Prilosec did nothing but give me severe osteoporosis, and Barrett's esophagus. All it did was numb the heartburn. All the while, severe damage was being done to my body. My medication was covered by taxpayers as I am disabled, and I thought Castanet would have been happy to print a letter letting British Columbians know that health-care costs could be dramatically reduced if Physicians treated the cause of the disorder, rather than throwing pills at it. I have spoken with many people with my same condition, and they too were prescribed drugs rather than a simple, low-cost operation the cure the underlying disease. Now, because of the severe osteoporosis caused by the Prilosec, I have lost almost all my teeth, and live with severe back and neck pain daily. With no molars, I have a difficult time eating a healthy diet, which will cause more health issues as I get older. I am sure if I was to see a doctor about my pain, I would just have more pills thrown at me. And the decision by The Fiberals to cut welfare/disability clients off dental coverage, will lead to a large increase in heart disease in the future (poor dental health is a major contributing factor in many types of heart disease). The Liberals did not cut off complete funding for dental. Welfare/disabled persons are required to pay 30% of the bill. My son has not seen a dentist in 7 years. We can barely afford groceries, let alone a 30% dental bill. Before I found out the Fiberals had changed the dental rate fee, I took 2 of my children in for a checkup, x-rays, and cleaning. As we were leaving, the receptionist said "Hey, you can't leave without paying!". I was shocked I had to pay almost $300 (30% of the check-up). Back in the 1970's, a complete check-up, including cleaning and x-rays cost $25!
zzontar
Guru

Re: Treat the cause, not the symptoms

Post by zzontar »

It's crazy that basic dental work isn't part of the health care program... maybe they figure that being able to eat isn't part of being healthy.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

OP - have you looked into dentures? Both my folks have them.

Check into the dental clinic at the Gospel Mission, they've expanded it. They might be able to help you, or offer suggestions.
http://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/120578/New-dental-clinic-at-Gospel-Mission
I haven't failed until I quit.
Dave_1963
Banned

Post by Dave_1963 »

Yes, I have explored dentures, but the 30% fee still applies. What makes me angry is that my dentist (ex) said if he pulled my teeth, I was eligible for dentures. I agreed to let him pull my teeth. The dentist said I would have to wait 6 months for my jaw to heal, then I could be fitted for dentures (at that time dentures were fully covered). After the 6 month healing time, my dentist told me that the dental rate structure had changed, and now I would have to pay the 30%. To me, this is akin to having a patient on the operating table undergoing surgery, and halfway through the surgery, the Govt. changes their funding, and won't cover the surgery. Would they just sew the patient up without the surgery? I highly doubt it. As my dental work was started when dentures were covered, I feel that I should have been able to get them as the dental surgery had already begun while dentures were covered. I have contacted the Gospel Mission, and they only pull teeth (pain management it's called), and fillings.

Anyway, I have lost faith in our once great medical system. If Tommy Douglas were alive, he would be mighty angry. I just think it is a huge waste of taxpayers dollars to spend over $40,000 on pills that did nothing when my ulcers could have been permanently cured by a $5000 operation. Go figure! Being disabled, I have met many other disabled persons, and they too just have pills prescribed, rather than fixing the cause. Huge waste of taxpayer dollars if you ask me!

Return to “Health”