Migraines and cluster headaches

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
smoky500
Fledgling

Re: Migraines and cluster headaches

Post by smoky500 »

you should see a chiropractor. Took care of my cluster headaches, I used to get them for 1 or 2 weeks every year, haven't had any in over 20 years since having my neck adjusted.
kelownawriter
Fledgling

Post by kelownawriter »

I suffer from a combination of migraines and severe tension headaches, and I have for years. It started when I was 14/15, slowly with horrible migraines, and just increased from there. I'm 24 now and it's just one long headache with little reprieve. I find Maxalt helps when a migraine turns abhorrently nasty. Percocet helps the tension headaches when they become too much to bear. If you find a migraine medication that helps definitely see if they can give you a drug card for it. Maxalt is painfully expensive but the companies give out little drug cards to the doctors which they can give to you for the pharmacy. It cuts my Maxalt down from $120 to about $20.

Go for your CT scans and start plugging away at tests if you already haven't. At the very least you rule things out. Massage therapy, acupuncture, chiro, yoga, etc. Cut out foods, etc. Learn to meditate. Really all the suggestions above. None of it's helped me but I've done it and I find that there is some emotional relief in ruling things out. Check for allergies, check your hormone levels, check your nutrient levels. You will probably improve your health as you go along.

One thing that most doctors recommend and that's just good in general for your overall well being is to keep a diary of your day. Feeling crappy? Write about how much, when it is, what you've recently eaten, what's on your mind, etc. Doesn't have to be detailed but summarize. Look for patterns. Like my IBS, which is a separate issue, flares up when I eat particular foods and am stressed about certain things.

If you can talk about your family history too.
Liquidnails
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Liquidnails »

Wife gets migraines. She has been given samples of several different pills to take during the onset of a bad headache, but they make her "feel like a zombie" the next day. Pretty much the only thing that works is sleep (good luck when you're in pain) or a couple puffs.

Lifestyle changes have helped reduce the headaches... Less sugar, more exercise, relaxation exercises, etc.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

I used to get migraines. Sometimes a particular food like red wine would trigger them, sometimes hormones. But there was also a connection with the calcium/magnesium balance in my system. When I took a calcium supplement I had more migraines, when I took more magnesium less migraines. Also some people drink caffeinated drinks, and then may cut back without realizing and this can trigger a headache. Solution is to add caffeine back, and then reduce amount daily very gradually so as not to trigger headache.
Danielson99
Board Meister

Post by Danielson99 »

I am also dealing with chronic pain and headaches. I have used triptans and other drugs with some success, sometimes not. I have had many other forms of help including IMS treatments and other physio type treatments. I've been a regular in a chiro office too.

Headaches have so many underlying issues and reasons that many people will never find out why they get them, probably the majority of people. Apart from trying different drugs or treatments there is something everybody who suffers should do. I was referred to a 3 part seminar by Neil Pearson. He is based out of Penticton but regularly does seminars all over, including Kelowna in the new buildings at the hospital.

Let me tell you something, understanding 'pain' is very complex and having someone like Neil explain it and show us how our mind works in conjunction with our bodies is one of the best things we can do towards dealing with our pain. He has great insight in this field and I would recommend that anyone who suffers from headache pain please go and see him. There is a website http://www.lifeisnow.ca/ that you can check out.

Part of dealing with pain is understanding what it's all about. You can take all the drugs or treatment in the world and still live a life filled with pain, help yourself deal with it and get educated. I truly enjoyed the 3 part series and I can pretty much guarantee that anyone else will too.
logman
Übergod

Post by logman »

Chronic pain is very hard to deal with. I have found doctors are only good for pushing drugs and surgery. After that you are on your own in a world of alternative,non approved, "this will cure you" bull. I feel for everyone struggling with legitimate chronic pain.
Bibbs

Post by Bibbs »

My wife suffered from migraines so bad she would be bed ridden for half the month. She was able to trace it to a allergy to the metal fillings in her mouth. She was able to figure this out on her own through research. Once she got those all replaced she only gets the odd migraine 1-2 month at most. Just another thing to explore.
Mini-moi

Post by Mini-moi »

When I last saw the neurologist, I suggested that since I have Raynauds - which affects the blood vessels - maybe my migraines have something to do with that (headaches are a constriction of blood vessels). He gave me a look that clearly said I had no idea what I was talking about.

When I saw my rheumatologist in February, 2 of my fingers were so bad with ulcers because of Raynauds - I thought I was going to have to have them amputated - they looked like they were dying and I felt like dying because of the pain. Even though my blood pressure is perfect, he put me on high blood pressure meds to open and relax the blood vessels and a low dose aspirin everyday. Within days my fingers returned to normal color, no more constant white/blue hands. Now I rarely get migraines (still can't drink wine), and when I do get them I don't usually have to take meds, I can still function - no more dark, quiet rooms!!

I am so thankful everyday!!
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

having had a few dealings with the neurologists in this town, they are a joke at best, and i am being nice
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Try a chiropractor.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

Not recommending this, but back in the sixties, a friends mom was getting migraines.
She took an LSD trip, and never had another migraine, during the 30 years we stayed in touch.
We're lost but we're making good time.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

I Think wrote:Not recommending this, but back in the sixties, a friends mom was getting migraines.
She took an LSD trip, and never had another migraine, during the 30 years we stayed in touch.

There's new research being done with LSD and psilocybin mushrooms as a possible cure for cluster headaches.
copper02
Board Meister

Post by copper02 »

Both my daughter and daughter in law get serious migraines and sleep in a dark room is what they had been told.

Now they found out that because migraines cause the blood vessels in head to expand, they were told to put an ice pack at the base
Of their neck and put their feet in hot water. Sounds hokey, but darnit, it works!!! Blood heads to the warmth and the cold helps constrict the vessels in the head. Just sayin.
Integrity without knowledge is weak and useless,and knowledge without integrity is dangerous and dreadful Samuel Johnson
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

copper02, I heard a similar thing years ago, sitting in a hot bath. I did work somewhat, but another symptom of migraine is the rocky tummy and the hot bath switched it from less headache to more rocky tummy (for me). The best antidote (aside from quiet room, no light) was magnesium, nap, food, (if you can get it down). And dietary fats seemed to make it worse.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I had originally understood that migraines have been thought to be caused by rapid expansion of the blood vessels and then constriction and the migraine medications are prescribed to narrow blood vessels around the brain (which is why a cold compress at the base of the skull is thought to work). Those types of medicines only work once the headache is getting started. There are other medications that can be prescribed to reduce the amount of migraines.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-cond ... n-20026358

http://www.webmd.com/migraines-headache ... -migraines

Migraines can run in families which may prove useful in further studies.

The new discovery has paved the way for a new theory: migraine pain occurs because the nerve fibres around the blood vessels become extra sensitive.

http://sciencenordic.com/new-theory-cause-migraine

Always seems to come down to pain management once one has started. Can't prevent the weather.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 113557.htm

Nerve Fiber Abnormalities in Patients with Migraine

The researchers performed in-depth studies on tiny specimens of the trigeminal nerve (one of the cranial nerves), from 15 patients who underwent surgical treatment for migraine. Sample from 15 patients undergoing a cosmetic forehead lift procedure were studied for comparison. The study -- conducted through collaboration by three independent departments at Case Western Reserve School of Medicine -- included electron microscopy to assess nerve cell structure and proteomic analysis to assess the presence and function of proteins.

The results showed important differences in nerve structure between the migraine and cosmetic surgery patients. "Essentially, the protective layer surrounding and insulating the normal nerves, called myelin, is missing or is defective on the nerves of the patients with migraine headaches," said Dr. Guyuron.

Surgery the next best option?
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat

Return to “Health”