Straight Razors

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
Baulde

Straight Razors

Post by Baulde »

Does anyone know of someone that would be considered an expert or tops in using straight razors? I have had a collection for a long time but would like to find someone that could hone and strop with the best of em to get some tips from. Seems like a skill set that is hard to find these days.
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Straight Razors

Post by Gilchy »

Baulde wrote:Does anyone know of someone that would be considered an expert or tops in using straight razors? I have had a collection for a long time but would like to find someone that could hone and strop with the best of em to get some tips from. Seems like a skill set that is hard to find these days.

Try knifewear on Pandosy. They sharpen a mean knife using a whetstone, so they'll likely be able to help you out.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Maybe the Chef's Edge down the road would be a good place to go to get some tips from the guys who know all about edges.

I have my dad's straight razor from when he barbered back in the 1930s. It will still cut a newspaper page in midair. The guard is ivory but has a fracture near the hinge. Wish I knew where his bullhide strop went...
Last edited by flamingfingers on Nov 18th, 2014, 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chill
sobrohusfat
Guru

Post by sobrohusfat »

There are still a few barbers that offer a straight razor shave - that would be my first stop (before a kitchen knife sharpening service)

Carl next to the Willow was a fine straight razor man but he's gone now. I hear there's still a place "next" to Leo's Video on Pandosy.
The adventure continues...

No good story ever started with; "So i stayed home."
Baulde

Post by Baulde »

I know from research and experience its a different skillset to get that near perfect edge on a straight razor. Different sharpening technique and angles etc..

I have found a few barbers that do straight razor shaves but they use disposable blades due to health reasons and they come sharp from manufacturer. Have yet to find one that has stropped a straight razor enough times to be an expert at it outside the fact they have tried it in barber school but have not done it in years.

I can try the suggestions with crossed fingers but will be surprised if someone there is truly experienced.

Return to “Health”