Over-medicating

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
alexoliversen
Fledgling

Over-medicating

Post by alexoliversen »

I have been admitted to the hospital on mental health issues, but really I have been doing really well, unfortunately they are trying to over medicate me with new medications which have more possible detrimental side effects than the good it does. Right now I have little authority over my medications, as the doctors seem to have all the say, and it feels like the system is geared towards Big Pharma policies instead of therapy and solving the root problem approach.

The main problem is that I cannot even ask to keep my current medication which is working well - it has the least amount of side effects and most benefit, while they keep pushing their new Big Pharma drugs which needs much more blood work done on it, as well there are side that other have which is rather negative. They are forcing us to take risker drugs which have more harm on both the environment and patients. I am just one person but what if everyone had to go through such a thing? I would fight such policies as they are getting out of control. What would you people do?
Last edited by alexoliversen on Nov 24th, 2014, 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WeatherWoman
Wicked Witch of the West Coast

Re: Over Medication

Post by WeatherWoman »

It's hard to comment not knowing what mental health issue you are currently experiencing.

Has your diagnosis changed?
"It takes a village to raise a fool." ~ Dan Mangan
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Over Medication

Post by I Think »

Do you have an advocate who can argue for you?
If not try to find one, a friend who can state your case over and over until they understand.
We're lost but we're making good time.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Over-medicating

Post by gardengirl »

I would avoid using phrases like Big Pharma if you want them to take you seriously and not suspect you are having paranoid delusions.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
alexoliversen
Fledgling

Post by alexoliversen »

They say they don't know what side effects are going to occur, and if they occur but I don't feel safe taking such medication as I have taken other meds which have had side effects occur. Why gamble when things are working well? As well you can see the list for adverse side effects for Clozapine is much longer than Abilify (taken from Drug.com):

Clozapine:
More common

•Blurred vision
•confusion
•dizziness, faintness, or lightheadedness when getting up suddenly from a lying or sitting position
•fainting
•fast, pounding, or irregular heartbeat or pulse
•fever
•shakiness in the legs, arms, hands, or feet
•sleepiness or unusual drowsiness
•sweating
•trembling or shaking of the hands or feet
•unusual tiredness or weakness
Less common •Anxiety
•black, tarry stools
•chest pain
•chills
•convulsions
•cough or hoarseness
•decrease in the frequency of urination
•decrease in urine volume
•difficult or labored breathing
•difficulty in passing urine (dribbling)
•discouragement
•dry mouth
•feeling sad or empty
•fever with or without chills
•frequent strong or increased urge to urinate
•general feeling of tiredness or weakness
•headache
•hyperventilation
•irritability
•lack of appetite
•loss of bladder control
•loss of interest or pleasure
•lower back or side pain
•muscle spasm or jerking of all extremities
•painful or difficult urination
•pounding in the ears
•restlessness or need to keep moving
•severe or continuing headache
•shakiness and unsteady walk
•slurred speech
•sore throat
•sores, ulcers, or white spots on the lips or in the mouth
•sudden jerky movements of the body
•sudden loss of consciousness
•swollen glands
•throat discomfort
•tightness in the chest
•trouble concentrating
•trouble sleeping
•unsteadiness, trembling, or other problems with muscle control or coordination
Rare
•Absence of or decrease in movement
•change in appetite
•dark urine
•decreased sexual ability
•difficult or fast breathing or sudden shortness of breath
•increased sweating
•increased thirst
•increased urination
•lip smacking or puckering
•muscle stiffness (severe)
•nausea
•puffing of the cheeks
•rapid or worm-like movements of the tongue
•swelling or pain in the leg
•uncontrolled chewing movements
•uncontrolled movements of the arms and legs
•unusual bleeding or bruising
•unusually pale skin
•vomiting
•weakness
•yellow eyes or skin
Incidence not known
•Abdominal or stomach pain
•bloating
•burning, crawling, itching, numbness, prickling, "pins and needles", or tingling feelings
•clay-colored stools
•confusion as to time, place, or person
•constipation
•diarrhea
•epileptic seizure that will not stop
•feeling that others are watching you or controlling your behavior
•feeling that others can hear your thoughts
•feeling, seeing, or hearing things that are not there
•holding false beliefs that cannot be changed by fact
•inability to move the eyes
•increased blinking or spasms of the eyelid
•indigestion
•itching
•joint pain
•light-colored stools
•muscle twitching
•pains in the stomach, side, or abdomen, possibly radiating to the back
•rhythmic movement of the muscles
•severe mood or mental changes
•skin rash
•sticking out of the tongue
•swelling around the eyes
•swelling of the body or feet and ankles
•trouble with speaking
•unpleasant breath odor
•unusual behavior
•unusual excitement, nervousness, or restlessness
•unusual facial expressions
•unusual weight gain
•upper right abdominal or stomach pain
•vomiting of blood
More common
•Acid or sour stomach
•belching
•feeling of constant movement of self or surroundings
•heartburn
•relaxed and calm sensation of spinning
•sleepiness
Less common
•Blurred or loss of vision
•change or problem with discharge of semen
•disturbed color perception
•double vision
•halos around lights
•inability to sit still
•increase in body movements
•muscle pain or ache
•muscle weakness
•night blindness
•nightmares
•overbright appearance of lights
•pain in the back, neck, or legs
•pain in the chest below the breastbone
•severe muscle stiffness
•sore tongue
•stuffy nose
•tunnel vision
•unusual drowsiness, dullness, tiredness, weakness, or feeling of sluggishness
Incidence not known
•Blistering, peeling, or loosening of the skin
•hives
•increased sensitivity of the skin to sunlight
•painful or prolonged erection of the penis
•red skin lesions, often with a purple center
•red, irritated eyes
•reddening of the skin, especially around the ears
•severe stomach pain
•severe sunburn
•sores, welting, or blisters
•swelling of the eyes, face, or inside of the nose
•swelling of the salivary glands

Abilify:
More common
•Difficulty with speaking
•drooling
•loss of balance control
•muscle trembling, jerking, or stiffness
•restlessness
•shuffling walk
•stiffness of the limbs
•twisting movements of the body
•uncontrolled movements, especially of the face, neck, and back
Less common
•Blurred vision
•dizziness
•headache
•inability to move the eyes
•increased blinking or spasms of the eyelid
•nervousness
•pounding in the ears
•slow or fast heartbeat
•sticking out the tongue
•trouble with breathing or swallowing
•unusual facial expressions
Rare
•Convulsions
•fast heartbeat
•high fever
•high or low blood pressure
•increased sweating
•lip smacking or puckering
•loss of bladder control
•muscle spasm or jerking of all extremities
•puffing of the cheeks
•rapid or worm-like movements of the tongue
•severe muscle stiffness
•sudden loss of consciousness
•tiredness
•uncontrolled chewing movements
•uncontrolled movements of the arms and legs
•unusually pale skin
Incidence not known
•Hives or welts
•itching skin
•itching, puffiness, or swelling of the eyelids or around the eyes, face, lips, or tongue
•large, hive-like swelling on the face, eyelids, lips, tongue, throat, hands, legs, feet, or sex organs
•redness of the skin
•shortness of breath
•skin rash
•tightness in the chest
•unusual tiredness or weakness
•wheezing
WeatherWoman
Wicked Witch of the West Coast

Post by WeatherWoman »

I have a friend who was diagnosed with Bi polar who takes those meds with success. The key is finding the right balance. She only uses the Clozapine for emergency anxiety help and often opts for medical MJ when she can.

I would seek out some counselling. As much as you are against medications, it sounds like you have an imbalance that can be only (in most cases) be corrected by meds.

If you broke your arm, you'd get a cast. Why is it any different if your chemical make up is off to correct that?

FYI: It has taken about 1-1.5 years for her to find the right combo of meds.
Last edited by WeatherWoman on Nov 27th, 2014, 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
"It takes a village to raise a fool." ~ Dan Mangan
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

^^^^
Have you had any of the above side-effects if not just continue to take the meds. If you have had some of the above side-effect make appointment with your doctor. Discuss your options with the doctor
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

Gorden, the OP does not think the doctor(s) is listening.
We're lost but we're making good time.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Nibs wrote:Gordon, the OP does not think the doctor(s) is listening.

Okay, than if OP doctor is not a Psychiatrist maybe OP should book an appointment to see one. Raise his concerns with medication with Psychiatrist that was given by his Doctor, in this way OP gets both advise and a second opinion.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Some doctors listen, some don't. Some are assembly line drug-pushers, others are not. I've been blessed that the doctors I've had in town have listened to me.

My pharmacist at Costco is an invaluable resource. He looks at my medication history, and can warn not only of side effects but of drug interactions. It makes a difference. I have a rather odd but strict schedule of when I can eat, and what I can take at what points during the day. But it is working.

The most important thing, and the hardest thing, is to get a doctor who will be with you for the long haul and know your history. Walk-ins are great for emergencies, but people should not have to rely on them for constant care.
I haven't failed until I quit.
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

Sorry, alexoliversen, but if you voluntarily entered into the hospital, than you have the freedom to leave, but I suspect there is much more to your story than you are saying.

The repercussions of people with certain mental illnesses who stop taking their meds (an all too often occurrence) can be quite devastating and/or tragic. Here's a link to the law regarding voluntary and involuntary hospitalization of the mentally ill.

http://www.cba.org/bc/public_media/health/425.aspx
mysideofthings
Board Meister

Post by mysideofthings »

I do not know your diagnosis, so I don't really know what advice I can offer.

I have my own issues with mental health and meds, but since I do not have a diagnosis of bipolar disorder or schizophrenia, my situation with meds have maybe been different. Both of those diagnoses seem to be the ones that some people are involuntarily made to take meds, if not injections, or involuntarily admitted to the hospital at times. But I also know that no matter what diagnosis a person has, some mental health professionals (case workers and/or psych nurses, for example) are known to push a person to take meds or pressure them to because they believe it is 'the' thing that can help regardless if they even are on meds or not. That was something I experienced myself, being told to take/keep taking a med/adjust a med/try a new med, etc. when I was not comfortable with them or when I was not currently even on something because they were not knowledgeable of my situation or took into consideration I had a psychiatrist working with me.

If you are able to do everything voluntarily include taking your own medication, you should also be able to find another doctor who will listen to your concerns. You have the right to find a doctor/psychiatrist, etc. that you are comfortable with. But again, since I do not know your situation, I am not sure what to even suggest.

I have been lucky to find a psychiatrist who does not push meds on me but instead lets me choose what to take or not take as well as what dose since I know what works best for me.
Kuhltiffany

Post by Kuhltiffany »

If you were admitted, more than likely your medications weren't working properly. Hospitals and doctors usually use such time to watch patients and change medications to a more effective combination…

Said as a former medical social worker and sister in law to 2 schitzophrenics...
alexoliversen
Fledgling

Post by alexoliversen »

Well it's easy to jump to conclusions. Taking medication is not the problem. The problem is why they choose administer MORE RISKY DRUGS with MORE SIDE EFFECTS and MORE SEVERE SIDE EFFECTS. I don't mind taking drugs if they help, but when they have so many risky effects that affect you later on is IMHO against the hypocratic oath. Do no harm is the principle thus taking riskier drugs is not the answer IMHO.

I saw a book on the topic recently. I still have to read it but it seems to touch on such a topic.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Pharma
mysideofthings
Board Meister

Post by mysideofthings »

I think the bottom line is if you are not court ordered to be taking medication, it is within your right to do what you feel is best.

I personally do not like medication because of my history of them where they had a lot of negative and harmful side effects, one of which led to the development of an eating disorder which caused me years of difficulty trying to manage on top of the things I was getting help for BEFORE than. I also experienced serotonin syndrome as a teenager due to one combination of medications (SSRIs).

Even though I do not like meds, I have found something that works for me at a small dose and taken when I feel I need them. So, while I don't really like meds, I am at least in charge of what I put in my body after years of trying different things and realizing certain things do more harm. Even when some mental health professionals pushed me to take meds, I did not allow them to force me to because only I knew what made me feel better or didn't. It is hard because they are professionals and you would like to think know what they are doing when suggesting meds, but if they don't know your personal history with meds and all that goes along with it, I don't believe they have a right to push them on a person.

Some people may need them but don't stay on them. That is when it is hard too because the pros outweigh the cons, at least as far as being able to manage the symptoms from their mental health issue over the side effects the meds cause. I think the professionals also get confused because so many are taught meds are 'the' answer in most cases, and if that is what they think, they aren't quick to suggest therapy in conjunction with meds or even therapy BEFORE meds are even prescribed to see if a person can have benefit that way.

But I still think if you do not like meds and aren't being court ordered, you can be in charge of what you take or don't take. It is up to you what you put in your body.

Return to “Health”