Vitamins

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
V-Rated
Guru

Vitamins

Post by V-Rated »

I am a self-proclaimed "Vitaminholic"
Years ago I went to an excellent naturopath, he taught me about vitamins...of course like many I thought it was all a gimmick. I didn't think I noticed a difference until I began running out of them. So there was my proof, I DID feel great using them. Over time I was able to switch to vitamins I could buy anywhere, not just from his office.
So here I sit recovering from a wicked cold that slammed me for the past couple days. I had sinus pressure so bad my teeth hurt.... MY TEETH HURT!!! have you ever had that?! I couldn't believe it.
Now my dilemma is moreso over the winter months I load up on garlic, vitamin C and wash wash wash. I will not do a flu shot at this stage of my life. I thought the garlic alone would ward away anything but nope, this bug zipped through my immune defense and put it to shame.
Now many believe vitamins are a waste of money, and after this cold, I am beginning to wonder what the heck. A friend of mine just takes calcium as we are aging and need it...and is always out and about, and never gets sick. Good immunity?! Must be, I supplement mine and STILL got sick... (did I mention my fricken teeth were hurting!!!)
Now I really don't want to hear from the people that don't believe in vitamins... I have heard that song and dance (perhaps spread the word to smokers that it is bad for them instead)...but any other vitamin believers explain what the heck happened?! I thought I was totally safe.
~V~
~V~
~Each morning I wake, my feet touch the floor, Satan shudders and says, *bleep*! She's awake!~
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Re: Vitamins

Post by Lady tehMa »

I believe in vitamins, but I also believe that I will get sick sometimes. It is a natural function of our bodies, we need it in some form or another to create antibodies for our immune system. I think perhaps you are suffering from something of a "catch up" for your system.

I take vitamins. I get the flu shot. I also have kids and deal with the public which results in a cold or two over the course of the year. They are never very bad (usually). I have an immune deficiency condition (fibromyalgia) so it could be a LOT worse.

Before I started exercising and taking vitamins I was sick with the flu once every year or two, had colds almost constantly. Had bronchitis and sinusitis chronically and once almost had viral pneumonia. Now, I think a cold or two over the course of a year isn't so bad. Gotta keep that immune system up to par.
I haven't failed until I quit.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

I'm one who believes eating foods high in vitamins & minerals is better way to get those items into body, thats my own opinion.
I'm not against taking in pill form, just not my first choice.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

I'm vitamin-indifferent.

Having worked in a pharmacy setting, pretty much every pharmacist I knew suggested zinc for an immunity boost, but beyond that not much else.

Vitamin C is a demineralizing agent and is known to contribute to enamel erosion and tooth sensitivity. There is a balance between an effective amount to complement your diet/lifestyle and an excessive amount that works against you.

I'm not anti-vitamin necessarily. I've just not personally seen any difference in my overall health when taking them. When going for surgeries I've taken zinc prophylactically trying to not wind up sick before hand. For me that's worked. Would I have gotten sick otherwise, who knows. I think certain people are naturally more prone to illness. I might get a single cold in a year. As mentioned I've worked in pharmacy around lots of sick people, I also ride on 50-70 planes a year which is another one of those things we tend to attribute to germs and illness.

I'm all for supplementing your diet with vitamins when you're lacking somewhere in your diet.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

I get a flu shot every year. Had a mild cold last fall but can't remember the last time I had the sniffles. I eat a varied and healthy diet and do not take vitamins. Your body needs only so much in the way of vitamins and the rest you either pee or poop away. Can't be that good for the environment unless you want to prevent the fish from getting colds....

http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictio ... n+Toxicity
Chill
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

If you eat a well balanced diet you shouldn't require vitamin supplements. The problem is that far too many of us DON'T eat a well balanced diet.

I try hard to get all my vitamins from my diet, do not take supplements, and do not get a flu shot. And although I did have one mild cold this past winter, I haven't had the flu in years (so long ago I can't remember, but it must be at least 25 years ago).

If you eat well and exercise regularly your body should have a fairly good immune system to help you resist most minor infections. But nothing is an absolute guarantee against catching the occasional cold.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I have only half my large and small intestines and thats where a lot of things are absorbed into your system.So I take some essential vitamins too make sure I get enough. Mostly B12 and Iron but I also take D in the winter as recommended by the Kidney nurse. I also get a special mix of Vitamins that are provided free to me by BC med because of my loss of Kidney function.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
V-Rated
Guru

Post by V-Rated »

Ok ok ok... it sounds to me like I am just being a whiney sick baby! I get a yearly cold, and if that is all...I guess I am doing good! I just don't want to be sick at all. I can't have it all!
Thx everyone. Still will stick with the vitamins as I know I don't get all my nutrients from foods I eat.

~V~
~Each morning I wake, my feet touch the floor, Satan shudders and says, *bleep*! She's awake!~

Return to “Health”