How much are your addictions costing you?

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Re: How much are your addictions costing you?

Post by Captain Awesome »

Took me 2 or 3 times, but I quit smoking for good few years ago. Feels great! And at $10/pack my wallet is thanking me too.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Was there not a thread devoted to the debilitating effects of Champix? Or did it just come up in one of the over dozen smoking/non-smoking threads?

Please google Champix and the effects using it may have on you. I know there are extremes with associated with it.

As baby I was "forced" to smoke due to both parents smoking like chimneys. I know my lung capacity was affected, no question. I feel like I've been a smoker myself. My clothes stank of their cig. smoke. My hair. I could never get it off. Everything in our house was filled with nicotine, curtains, sofa, walls. A house where people smoke in it is devalued by over $10,000 on the open market, I believe any Real Estate agent can back that up.

I know nearly everything from my husband's childhood home had to be trashed due to being coated in it. His brother smoked non stop in that house when he lived there alone.

ToddT, if nothing else, consider this: Big Tobacco is pleased that their efforts to keep you from quitting is working. Their chemical slew infused with every cigarette is carefully crafted to keep smokers lighting up. I'm sorry they've got the right formula to keep you hooked.

If you can think of a reason outside of yourself to quit: do it. I know a person who quit because it affected her cat's health. Whatever works, works.

All the best.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
ToddT
Übergod

Post by ToddT »

We refuse to smoke in the house or in vehicles. Our habit is gross enough we don't to stink everything else up. My wife and I both smoke. When we quit, it often doesn't take long to find a reason to start back up lol. Just gotta keep on tryin'!
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Can you identify triggers as to how you are cued to light up again when you actually hate it?

Maybe starting there might help.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

One of the problems is that you and your spouse may light up before starting to talk, or if one of you lights, the other does automatically.
You are probably not aware that you may feel like a smoke, and reach for one and light it without even being conscious of the act.
Over eaters have a similar problem, they are staring into the open fridge with no memory of why they are there or what it is that they want out of it. Problem is they seldom walk away empty handed.
I have done some smoking therapy and what I try to do is get the smoker (or eater) to carry a bottle of water, & every time they go for a smoke, get them to grab the water bottle instead.
It is still oral but is a break state.
We're lost but we're making good time.
ToddT
Übergod

Post by ToddT »

I think the biggest thing is that we both worked in the restaurant industry when we were younger. Almost everybody smoked. During the busy season it became that if you didn't smoke, you didn't get a break. Now I find it impossible to relax after working all day without that smoke.

It's a vicious cycle lol.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

No other way to relax? Hot shower and tea? Or???

Here is a big wealth statement regarding the true cost of cigarettes and alcohol. So how much are your addictions costing you?

Go figure yours out, but this is what some people said and came up with:

http://www.castanet.net/news/Canada/168 ... p-in-smoke
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

http://www.castanet.net/news/Canada/168 ... p-in-smoke

I want to add: I don't smoke or drink, so when's all the dough start to add up? Oh, the photography addiction is costly. Damn.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

I have no vice or addiction.
The odd can or box of wine but that's it.
It's getting hard to find in cans so I get it by the no name box. One lasts me about a week. 11 bucks.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

Captain Awesome wrote:Took me 2 or 3 times, but I quit smoking for good few years ago. Feels great! And at $10/pack my wallet is thanking me too.

Right on, good for you! It is so hard to do. I quit but started last summer again. My quit date is the end of September - cruise to Hawaii with the extended family. I'm nearing 40 and still hide smoking like I did as a teenager.
perspicacious
Board Meister

Post by perspicacious »

My old addiction to chocolate McCain cakes cost me 50 plus a whole new wardrobe. Phew! Thank gawd i am in recovery.
Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I said no more plants. What do I have today?

Plants.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Queen K wrote:I said no more plants. What do I have today?

Plants.

I hear you! I ended up spending $15 at the sale, so I know how much my plants cost me. My best friend spent $80 (and was there at opening on the first day of the sale)
I haven't failed until I quit.
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

Queen K wrote:I said no more plants. What do I have today?

Plants.

But..but...they're 2 for 1, so it doesn't really count.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I like the way you think. I wish I bought two (four) more.

Return to “Health”