Flu Shot Causes Polio-like Guillain-Barré Syndrome

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
Puddlejumper40
Board Meister

Flu Shot Causes Polio-like Guillain-Barré Syndrome

Post by Puddlejumper40 »

http://healthimpactnews.com/2013/flu-sh ... nt-admits/

When the flu virus changes so rapidly, why bother taking the vaccine and the chance? I have not received the flu vaccine and have not become sick, as of yet :)
Yours truly,

JollyJumper40 :)
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Re: Flu Shot Causes Polio-like Guillain-Barré Syndrome

Post by JayByrd »

The odds of getting some sort of illness from the shot itself are pretty small...they wouldn't deter me if the shot was something I wanted. I never opted to receive one, but for the last two years, Interior Health has made it supa impractical for me to work while *not* having the shot. So I've grudgingly taken the vaccine, and no, the sky didn't fall.

But, I resent being strongarmed into this, and I resent the Health Authority basically telling me I can't make a judgement call on my own health or what goes into my body.

And come on, it's just the flu! Even if I do get sick, I'll be ill for a few days. Maybe a week if I'm really unlucky. Then I'll get better. We don't need to go to the ends of the earth to avoid it.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
Scadam
Übergod

Post by Scadam »

Puddlejumper40 wrote:I have not received the flu vaccine and have not become sick, as of yet :)

I've taken it multiple times and have not become sick either. But I'm also aware that a single data point isn't relevant. Could be that I wouldn't have gotten the flu anyway and the shot was pointless, could be that it helped me. This is where you need to look at thousands of examples, not just your own. The vaccine statistically lowers your chance of getting the flu. That's it. Some years the most rampant strains are in the vaccine, some years not, so how much it lowers your chance of any flu that season fluctuates. But choosing to forego the shot means you chose the higher risk (safely in your case and most others, including myself some years).

Puddlejumper40 wrote:why bother taking the vaccine and the chance?

Because the risk of catching and suffering complications from flu is far higher than the risk of adverse side effects from the flu shot. Again it's just simple statistics. For seniors flu is much higher risk so it's a no-brainer. For a healthy adult choosing not to get the shot, you're still choosing the marginally higher risk. But we're talking tenths of a percent chance of contracting and suffering complications from flue, versus thousandths of a percent chance of suffering complications from the shot. Neither of those things is remotely as risky as the drive to the clinic for most of us.

I'm well aware of the statistics, but the risks on both sides (for me) are so minor I only get the flu shot because it is offered at my workplace. If I had to so much as cross the street for a shot I might not bother since it's such a minimal worry for me. But it's not because of any fearmongering around how vaccines work.

I should probably go further out of my way to get the shot, for those with compromised immune systems, seniors, keeping the flu less widespread, for the greater good, etc... but I'm just being realistic (I toss my recyclable glass into the trash too, we can't all be saints). Luckily my workplace provides flu shots in-house so my motivation isn't a factor :)

Bottom line, if you don't want a shot don't get one, these silly excuses aren't necessary.

tl;dr the risk from the shot is lower than the risk from flu, but for many of us both those risks are just degrees of negligible anyway.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

But if you are the kind of person who gets the flu and goes to work, to shop, to restaurants, etc then you are completely irresponsible.
What if you have the flu virus and no symptoms, is it OK for you to go around infecting your friends?
We're lost but we're making good time.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

Puddlejumper40 wrote:http://healthimpactnews.com/2013/flu-shot-causes-polio-like-guillain-barre-syndrome-are-rates-higher-than-the-government-admits/

When the flu virus changes so rapidly, why bother taking the vaccine and the chance? I have not received the flu vaccine and have not become sick, as of yet :)

Take a look at more from that website. Seriously. Quackery.

http://healthimpactnews.com/about-health-impact-news/
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Puddlejumper40 wrote:http://healthimpactnews.com/2013/flu-shot-causes-polio-like-guillain-barre-syndrome-are-rates-higher-than-the-government-admits/

flu shots is just a money grab, they work 50% at best and half the time they guess the wrong each season http://www.vaccinationcouncil.org/2013/ ... brogan-md/
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
mysideofthings
Board Meister

Post by mysideofthings »

there are always going to be people who have a reaction to something, flu shot or not. since every body is different, some things can be triggered in others, but not enough to claim it is a widespread issue that everyone should be concerned about.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

I get your point, but I believe the side effects are waaaaaaaay worse and more common then they will ever admit
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

Then you should probably read far more reputable sources, rather than those that simply espouse statements as fact that you're seeking.

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/national/flu-shot-reduces-risk-of-rare-guillain-barre-syndrome-in-most-cases-study-finds

Seasonal flu vaccines can slightly increase a person’s risk of developing GBS – from about 20 cases in a million people to about 21 cases in a million people, said Hawken. But flu presents a greater risk of a person developing the syndrome — about 10 times as much as the flu shot, he said.

So my chances of developing GBS are ten-fold more if I do not take the shot. Plus my chance of contracting influenza, sans vaccine, is greater.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.

Return to “Health”