Health authorities putting us at risk.

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Re: Health authorities putting us at risk.

Post by Donald G »

To Gordon_as and I Think ...

On the basis of the scant information made available you have both condemned the appointment of Ms. Wasylyk ?

Please give me the name of someone you think would be better suited to the job.

Other than yourselves that is.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

Thank you Gordon that was an informative link.
We're lost but we're making good time.
Retrosnap
Board Meister

Post by Retrosnap »

gordon_as wrote:Re: earlier you guys were discussing the merits of the Board , and how they were appointed.

here is the most recent. Check out the comments , and google her name to find out her qualifications and affiliations.

http://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/13 ... s-IH-board

Thanks for coming to the party...If you read my post on page one, you would have seen Ms Wasylk's bio, along with the rest of the Board, and Senior Executive, along with their compensation.

The Board is paid a nominal fee, relatively speaking. A person working full time at minimum wage earns more than the board.

Anyway, leaving aside the patronage issue, which hasn't been established, what is wrong with any of these board members? Honest question.
35mm photography is a job, medium format is a skill, large format is a way of life.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

Retro, in my opinion your question is irrelevant, we could spend months analyzing each board member.
The question is why do we need a bunch of very expensive authorities, who's function is to take the pressure off our elected representatives.
And whose decisions are often taken without due regard to the actual needs of the medical community and the welfare of the public.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To I Think ...

That would have to qualify as one of the most far fetched non answers to Retro's valid question that I could imagine anyone making.

You obviously have no idea of the duties that a board performs ... including hiring some of the top people who actually manage the hospital.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

Why does the health authority allow such long wait times?
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To I think ...

The taxpayers only have a certain amount of money to finance the facilities and medical expertise required to do operations. They do such operations on a triage (priority) basis. If IH had access to unlimited money there would not be any wait times.

It is called real world financial reality. Obviously it is something else, besides the duties of the board, of which you apparently have no knowledge. Even the money paid to you by IH was deducted from the amount left available to perform operations.

Even independent walk in clinics are limited as to the number of patients they can see per day because of budgeting.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

Why do health authorities try to privatize housekeeping, when experience within the BC health system has shown that privatization leads to patient deaths.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To I Think ...

Another change in subject to cover up your lack of ability to support your never ending list of unfounded personal accusations.

Canada (including BC) has one of the very best publicly funded Hospital Treatment Systems in the entire world. Personally I do not think we can sustain the cost during the Baby Boomer Seniors demands but that is another factor entirely.

EVERYTHING must be paid for. Whether by the individual or the taxpayer is the only question.

Your continual finding fault is easy but contributes and solves nothing. The same is true of your continually trying to imply that the rare exception should be taken as normal.
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

Donald G wrote:To I think ...

The taxpayers only have a certain amount of money to finance the facilities and medical expertise required to do operations.

As much as it pains me to agree with Donald , he is in this case correct. The unused OR theaters were constructed in the new hospitals to meet future demand. There is a limited number of qualified people to staff these rooms , and the cost of hiring people , and making full use of these OR's is far above the budget. If every person who pays for BC Medical services was willing to take a huge hike in cost , it could be done. It's just not practical right now. Surgical procedures are booked according to need. Those who can't wait get their operations , those who can wait unfortunately have to. Every single day , there are Adds to the OR slate , people who need emergency surgery , over and above the scheduled slate of surgeries. The OR's are often in use untill after midnight.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

Why do you think there are two new fully equipped operating rooms not in use at VGH?

PS this is not a change of subject this and wait times ARE the subject.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To I Think ...

IMO Gordon_as answers your question very clearly in his/her last post.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

So if lack of funds and or mismanagement of funds is the problem, what are the Politicians and H/A's doing about it?
And what are we doing about it. The Boomers are indeed starting to enter the medically most expensive times of their lives.
Is it OK to drag our heels and let them die off?
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

Yes , no doubt the worst is yet to come. There will be a heavy price to pay for health care in the future.

New and expensive procedures are available , so everybody expects to receive them. Something that was a rare procedure not too many years ago , is a daily run of the mill thing now.

90 year old people getting a total hip replacement is not unheard of , but who is prepared to say " sorry , no operation for your grandma , she isn't going to be around long enough to make it financially responsible "
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To I think ...

As a baby boomer myself I have to say that I do not at all understand your comment and I seriously wonder if you understand what medical options are available to baby boomers. What can we and society afford and still leave money for other things that affect our standard of living is innate in our way of thinking.

We are already well into placing inordinately heavy (some would say impossible) demands on our Canadian Health Care Systems.

I want it all on a silver platter with no thought as to where the money is coming from is part of the unrealistic thinking of the next generation.

Return to “Health”