Wait list In Kelowna

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
Bubalouie
Guru

Wait list In Kelowna

Post by Bubalouie »

Any one have any experience with the wait list for hip replacement in Kelowna? How long ?
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Wait List In Kelowna

Post by the truth »

a friend of mine last week was told between 1to 2 years-not much but hope it helps-if you want to pay out of your own pocket wait time is less than a month
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Does it get any better if you're willing to travel to another location? That's how I cut a two year wait list for my rheumatologist to 6 weeks - I traveled to Kamloops.
I haven't failed until I quit.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

I think it can, it depends how much your gp likes you to get it to happen
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

It really depends on the severity of the condition. If it's serious enough, the operation can be done within a few weeks.
Bubalouie
Guru

Post by Bubalouie »

Were told 2 - 4 months in mid May, I somehow doubt it will be that quick. Sure makes for a long hot summer on crutches though.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

Do you mean you are on crutches while waiting for the surgery?
Bubalouie
Guru

Post by Bubalouie »

Correct, not all the time but most as the pain is not as bad when using them
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

It's enough to make a person weep.
Last edited by Queen K on Apr 4th, 2016, 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Bubalouie
Guru

Post by Bubalouie »

what makes it worse too is you can't even really try and plan anything cuz you never know when that call might come.
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

Queen K wrote:It's enough to make a person weep.

Interior Health is so overloaded it's not remotely fair to people.

Our health system is actually very fair to people. That's why we have wait lists. Because everybody gets the care they need regardless of income or insurance. We just may have to wait a bit, but I'm thankful that we can all at least get the care we need even if it takes a bit longer.

We could just punt poor people and those without insurance off the wait lists and watch the list shrink. I'd rather have the system we have than one that doesn't take care of everybody.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

They are work overloaded is all.
Last edited by Queen K on Apr 4th, 2016, 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Jonrox wrote:quote="Queen K"It's enough to make a person weep.

Interior Health is so overloaded it's not remotely fair to people./quote
Our health system is actually very fair to people. That's why we have wait lists. Because everybody gets the care they need regardless of income or insurance. We just may have to wait a bit, but I'm thankful that we can all at least get the care we need even if it takes a bit longer.

We could just punt poor people and those without insurance off the wait lists and watch the list shrink. I'd rather have the system we have than one that doesn't take care of everybody.

I don't know if i would call it 'fair' that someone has to wait 6 months or a year hobbling around with crutches because of wait lists. Maybe the system is not being funded adequately. Should we just accept this kind of result? Now perhaps the system has found some efficiencies in the meantime and this is the best we can do, but i know when my elderly mom needed her hip fixed there was a very inefficient means of getting her through the recuperation, so that she tied up a hospital bed far longer than she should have. This probably prevented someone else from getting their surgery in a timely way. Maybe we need to hire more bone doctors, or whatever is needed. The baby boomers are reaching that age where body parts are breaking down, is the system ready for them?
They are just discussing the proposed health center on First nations land, maybe that will help fill the future need.
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

Unfortunately pain doesn't equal urgent. I know it sucks but sometimes it's just something you have to live with while those who require urgent care get the treatment they need. It's not perfect but there is rhyme and reason to it.

It's one of the reasons I keep myself fit and healthy... reducing the risk of injury and illness so that I hopefully won't have to experience something similar. I hate to say it but it's a fact of life... too many people lead sedentary lives that lead to their injuries and illnesses.

People would pay thousands of dollars for a drug that would keep them slim, fit, and healthy. But all they have to do is make better food choices and go for a walk or run. Take responsibility for your own life and keep yourself off the wait lists.

I know this is a generalization, but for many it would help.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

I've known a few ladies who needed a hip job. None of them were overweight, overeating, or living unhealthy lifestyles. It's great if you are lucky enough to be healthy, it's not about you. Do you really think hip joints give out because people are eating too many cheeseburgers or they didn't get out jogging? incidentally my mom was fairly slim and broke her hip walking across her living room doing nothing special. Another hip she busted because the hospital had her stuck in bed and she had to go to the bathroom. No one came when she buzzed for help, but they had her on enough drugs so she hopped out of bed in her confusion.She never over ate and lived a very healthy lifestyle.

Return to “Health”