Playgrounds built just for the elderly

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Playgrounds built just for the elderly

Post by oneh2obabe »

New playgrounds in Spain prove that we’re all young at heart.

These “outdoor circuits” made especially for senior citizens provide an opportunity for exercise and prove that our bodies may get old, but our spirit never does. So when the weather’s warm and the days are long, the elderly aren’t sitting on the sidelines while their grandchildren hang out on jungle gyms – they’re getting in on the action too.

A 63-year-old retiree named Manuel Francisco Martin told Public Radio International that the point is simply “to be able to keep going.”

“To never stop – because once you stop moving, things go badly.”

The outdoor exercise parks were designed in Finland, Public Radio International reports, but Spain has cornered the market with a whopping 600 already in place, and orders for hundreds more.

But before the seniors get to swinging, spinning and stretching, they’re usually in need of a mini-walkthrough.

“People’s first impression is always, ‘huh? What are we going to do here?’” physical therapist Paz Vidal remarked.

But eventually, the elders who are “mostly used to strolling” and not “stretching” usually come around.

“It’s very healthy and important,” 70-year-old Juan Masi agreed.

The greater Barcelona area is scheduled to get 300 more, and good thing since analysts estimate that 40 to 45 per cent of the population will be retired by the year 2050.

“We loved the idea of creating spaces in public to encourage the elderly,” Barcelona’s Josep Sole told Public Radio International. “We value these for the exercise, but the key is that it’s not in a gym, not in a retirement home, but outside.”

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/good-ne ... 29508.html
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Tacklewasher
Übergod

Re: Playgrounds built just for the elderly

Post by Tacklewasher »

I'd support something like that here. We have enough blue-hairs to have a need.
WeatherWoman
Wicked Witch of the West Coast

Post by WeatherWoman »

Sidney near Victoria as an outdoor circuit. Beside the library and across the street from seniors housing.
"It takes a village to raise a fool." ~ Dan Mangan
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

What a GREAT idea!!! I think a few of these would be a perfect addition to Kelowna's parks.

Tacklewasher wrote:I'd support something like that here. We have enough blue-hairs to have a need.

Hey Tackle Washer...watch it with the 'Blue-Hairs' comments Whipper Snapper...some of us Old Farts use shoe polish...lol
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Tacklewasher wrote:I'd support something like that here. We have enough blue-hairs to have a need.

Barney Google wrote:What a GREAT idea!!! I think a few of these would be a perfect addition to Kelowna's parks.
Hey Tackle Washer...watch it with the 'Blue-Hairs' comments Whipper Snapper...some of us Old Farts use shoe polish...lol

Don't forget us "No Hairs"
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
V-Rated
Guru

Post by V-Rated »

Studying these kind of things in school right now... EXCELLENT idea!

Also, the latest fad is *Adult Coloring*... Noooooooooooo not *adult content coloring*.... just bringing out the crayolas and de-stressing with coloring!

We are reverting back to simpler times! *S*

~V~
~Each morning I wake, my feet touch the floor, Satan shudders and says, *bleep*! She's awake!~

Return to “Health”