What's the difference, please re senior care

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: Whats the difference.....please

Post by Queen K »

Caregiver not capable and home not suitable.

I hate those stories where someone says, "IH is being mean because they won't let someone go home."

IH can't come out and talk about the issues with the home. But always believe there is another side, because quite often a home is not set up properly with the things which will keep someone there.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

...keep them safely.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Yes, safely is a factor. But the client always has an option to live at risk, which is hugely accepted overly much by some standards.

There just is a need for more government funded facilities which are filled even before they are opened.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
good-cause-girl
Fledgling

Post by good-cause-girl »

What a rollercoaster this is. My Dad is refusing liquids and the nurses have had to double his IV of saline. His cancer is a reoccurring esophagus cancer. The hospital is keeping him with no out date at this point. We are seeing the cancer Dr on Wednesday to find out just where we stand

I don't think I have been this tired since I had little kids. The dynamics of my family is also complicated. I was in the room when the psychiatrist came in and listened to my dad's concerns. Heartbreaking. He is scared and lonely and deeply misses my mother who passed away almost 10 years ago. He will be 80 this December. I have every intention of staying in his home with him if discharged but am told that I am not enough. Denial? Ya probably but I have put my entire life on hold to do this. Even my husband is on board with helping.

I appreciate all of the responses to this and to Queen, thank you from the bottom of my heart for your personal touch. I will update as I can.
This is off my phone and my screen is small so please ignore any major spelling blunders.
Time to get back to it
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

Firstly, I'm sorry for what you are going through. I know it is tough. I watched both of my parents die, one much too early, and one much too late.

Just as I was about to ask what level of care is needed, you posted this last post.
Queenk's comments are thorough and complete and she will likely post some more excellent advice now that you have updated with his condition. My comments are only from someone who went through the various stages of care with a remaining parent from total independence to death in a long term care facility with dementia setting in.

From the sounds of it, your father will require total care or hospice, if he gets out of the hospital. Be prepared for that and listen to what they are telling you, as it is very easy to be in denial or not hear what they are telling you.
From your first post to your last post, this is evident. And, please, i am aware that my words can sound blunt but there is no easy way to say it. It doesn't appear that any of the lower level care homes could possibly work here.

Also, listen carefully to your dad's wishes and place those above your own, even if it means you will lose him sooner.

All of my comments are personal only and my thoughts are with you.
You and 71 others Like this post
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: What's the difference, please re senior care

Post by Silverstarqueen »

I realize every case is different, every family, every patient facing end of life health plans. I am in favor of supporting the senior in their decisions. So when my Mom was facing pretty serious outcomes, and her surgeon was saying, this may be time to give up the fight, I went to her and told her the prognosis, and what did she want, life saving surgery or not. I was somewhat surprised (but not completely) when she quite clearly and confidently said she wanted the surgery. The out come was not as bad as we thought it might be, but it was complicated getting her back to a level of care that was at least pain free, and she still had her dignity. She lived another few years beyond that. When Dad was facing pretty much certain last days (lung infection)and chronic cancer, he refused heroic efforts and said he would be fine. I told him it could be the end for him, and things didn't look good for his chances of survival. He was adamant. But he survived probably due to the wonders of antibiotics and his stubbornness. He lived several years beyond that in different levels of care, but pretty good until the end.
I don't know how you know when to push for all possible efforts to save a life, or when you say enough. But I would tend to go with the patients wishes, after they have considered it and discussed it with you, sometimes over a period of time, if circumstances allow. I would just really try to do whatever they want, as long as arrangements can be made, since not every family has the opportunity to have someone at home to care for them. And not every patient wants that. And some want to leave the hospital to go to home care, knowing it might cut short their life. I would try to respect that.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#147379

This place which is being built is sorely needed, should have opened 10 years ago, but hey! 2017 will have to do. Oh and it's woefully too small already and likely has a waitlist already.

I do not know how the 18 private beds there will stack up against the number of private beds available elsewhere. Is 18 higher than average? I do know that IHA will not care who funds the bed, sometimes the resident's family splits the costs two or three ways between themselves to supplement mom/dads income if the income is not adequate to cover the cost of the bed.

That's how a lot of families keep their mom/dad in ritzy resort style places.
good-cause-girl
Fledgling

Post by good-cause-girl »

Hi everyone. My father passed away today in the hospice we had chose. It's over
Thank you for all your help
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

My condolences for you loss.

You did all you could and better.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Our population had better understand the lingo of aging due to a rapidly aging population across the globe.

Don't believe me?

Twobits is correct, more senior's homes have to be built to meet demand. Old reno'ed buildings are not necessarily the answer as often a lot of safety standards have to be met and renovating any old buildings could be much more expensive than just building from scratch.

Here is an article I just pulled from the 'net this morning.

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/other/wha ... li=AAadgLE

Want a good career? Consider health care.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

good-cause-girl wrote:Hi everyone. My father passed away today in the hospice we had chose. It's over
Thank you for all your help

I'm very sorry to hear that and I know how tough it is to lose a parent.
janalta
Übergod

Post by janalta »

Good-cause-girl, I'm very sorry for your loss.
I just recently went through the same type of situation with my mom, who also recently passed away.
My thoughts are with you and your family.
Wise enough to know better.
Old enough to care less.
daria
Guru

Post by daria »

good-cause-girl wrote:What a rollercoaster this is. My Dad is refusing liquids and the nurses have had to double his IV of saline. His cancer is a reoccurring esophagus cancer. The hospital is keeping him with no out date at this point. We are seeing the cancer Dr on Wednesday to find out just where we stand

I don't think I have been this tired since I had little kids. The dynamics of my family is also complicated. I was in the room when the psychiatrist came in and listened to my dad's concerns. Heartbreaking. He is scared and lonely and deeply misses my mother who passed away almost 10 years ago. He will be 80 this December. I have every intention of staying in his home with him if discharged but am told that I am not enough. Denial? Ya probably but I have put my entire life on hold to do this. Even my husband is on board with helping.

I appreciate all of the responses to this and to Queen, thank you from the bottom of my heart for your personal touch. I will update as I can.
This is off my phone and my screen is small so please ignore any major spelling blunders.
Time to get back to it

Talk to the Transition nurse for whichever ward your father is on. Hospice house is only for those who have been approved for the Palliative program. Has anyone approached you about the Palliative/EOL (end of life) program? He has to be assessed by a physician, who will sign the Palliative Care Benefits paperwork. If he wants to discharged home, then Community Care has Palliative RNs and Social Workers who will visit him in the home. Additionally, if he does want to go home and he is palliative, that benefits paperwork ensures that his home support is free.

You can also apply for Compassionate Care Leave, so that you are available for your dad whe he goes home. http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/ei/t ... care.shtml

I hope that this helps.
Don't take my silence to mean I've agreed with you; I easily could've just lost interest in explaining how wrong you are.
History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes.
"I figured out how to monetize SJWs." Jordan B. Peterson
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

daria wrote:
Talk to the Transition nurse for whichever ward your father is on. Hospice house is only for those who have been approved for the Palliative program. Has anyone approached you about the Palliative/EOL (end of life) program? He has to be assessed by a physician, who will sign the Palliative Care Benefits paperwork. If he wants to discharged home, then Community Care has Palliative RNs and Social Workers who will visit him in the home. Additionally, if he does want to go home and he is palliative, that benefits paperwork ensures that his home support is free.

You can also apply for Compassionate Care Leave, so that you are available for your dad whe he goes home. http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/ei/t ... care.shtml

I hope that this helps.

Good advice but read 5 or 6 posts up.......
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

Although this thread will likely draw to an end, I hope that all seniors will have a serious chat, probably several, about their wishes for end of life care. I am a long way (I think, who knows anything can happen) from that but i have begun having informal/semi serious chats with my grown children. It is a complex topic, but a lot of elderly do not want heroic efforts to prolong their lives. Their wishes must be respected.

Return to “Health”